So what the heck is wrong with people in Colorado? Colo. Voters Give Up $3.7B in Tax

AzDropTop

Established Member
I'm not sure when or why people in this country think the Government can spend their money better then they can? This is incredibley sad...

Colo. Voters Give Up $3.7B in Tax Refunds
Nov 02 12:18 AM US/Eastern
Email this story

By STEVEN K. PAULSON
Associated Press Writer

DENVER

Colorado voters agreed Tuesday to give up $3.7 billion in taxpayer refunds over the next five years to allow the state to bounce back from a recession, ignoring the arguments of fiscal conservatives who say the government doesn't need more money to spend.

The vote was closely watched around the nation, with California scheduled to decide a government tax-and-spend question next week and several other states considering spending caps.

Supporters said Colorado simply could not afford to vote no, not with higher education, health care and transportation already suffering from millions of dollars in budget cuts.

With 76 percent of the expected vote counted statewide, 439,778 voters, or 53 percent, had approved the plan, compared with 391,842, or 47 percent, who voted against it.

King Cobra 2001

Smokin' Tires Year Round
Established Member
Do you live in Colorado? Does this affect you?

So, myself being a resident of Colorado and voting yes on C & D, I completely disagree with your statement. Especially since I am a civil engineer for a major heavy highway/bridge contractor. Talk about job security...

What people do not realize is that the infrastructure of this state is declining, and this money will greatly help the cause. I am more than willing to give up a portion of my tax return back so that the money can be used to better the place that I live in.

People that voted no on referendums C & D are ignorant, and most likely scraping by paycheck to paycheck....tax returns are like a bonus to them...even though it was really their money in the first place....

So....all in all, I have no issues whatsoever throwing the state a few more bones.

Steeltwo

Established Member
AzDropTop said:
I'm not sure when or why people in this country think the Government can spend their money better then they can? This is incredibley sad...

Colo. Voters Give Up $3.7B in Tax Refunds
Nov 02 12:18 AM US/Eastern
Email this story

By STEVEN K. PAULSON
Associated Press Writer

DENVER

Colorado voters agreed Tuesday to give up $3.7 billion in taxpayer refunds over the next five years to allow the state to bounce back from a recession, ignoring the arguments of fiscal conservatives who say the government doesn't need more money to spend.

The vote was closely watched around the nation, with California scheduled to decide a government tax-and-spend question next week and several other states considering spending caps.

Supporters said Colorado simply could not afford to vote no, not with higher education, health care and transportation already suffering from millions of dollars in budget cuts.

With 76 percent of the expected vote counted statewide, 439,778 voters, or 53 percent, had approved the plan, compared with 391,842, or 47 percent, who voted against it.

that was a VERY smart thing to do. I'd vote yes aswell.

AzDropTop

Established Member
no cigar said:
Well if the people vote for it, what's your quarrel?

No quarrel, I just can't believe the 'people' would vote to not receive the tax breaks due to them. The government is in trouble because they don't know how to manage money and now instead of people having the money to put back into the economy the government is most likely going to piss it away despite claiming it will be used to 'fix' Co.

Raising taxes or as in this case keeping the tax payers money has never actually worked to improve the economy.

King Cobra 2001

Smokin' Tires Year Round
Established Member
The state level govt. may not make all the right decisions regarding exactly where the money goes, but I can assure you that action is already being taken a step in the right direction. I cannot even begin to list the amount of highway projects where the funding and whether or not they were going to be built depended on the outcome of C & D. Now that its a go....more work for me and the company I work for! According to FHWA, Colorado is on the list of the worst states having structure/bridge degradation. There are so many need repairs/replacement.

Like I said before, I voted with the majority on this one, and I am glad of the outcome.

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
Ref C passed which I think is ok, giving a portion of tax returns back.

Ref D was shot down which is good because I don't belive it is ok for a state to be that far in debt that they have to borrow 2 Billion to get out.

I voted for C and against D

chicken714

NKAWTG
Established Member
I guess you would think I'm a complete moron then. I don't live in CO cause I'm stationed in Tampa. Because of my job I'm barely there ever either. But I am still a citizen of Colorado, there for state taxes are still deducted from my check. Why many people ask, when I could keep all that money if I became a Florida resident. Well first, I plan on moving back to Colorado after this enlistment. Second I know the money (the little of it they use, I get almost all of it back) is used for a good cause (like fixing the roads loved ones of mine drive one, the streets in Tampa are crap compared to those in the Springs). Plus I'd rather pay even if I didn't get it back than to say I'm a resident of this state. Sunshine state my ass.

Steeltwo

Established Member
one of the services that is being cut back here, by 50-75% is one for battered women and childern.

they provide a safe haven for mothers and childeren that get the phuck beat out of them at home.

i recieved a whole 500 bones last year from state taxes. and if I had to give 500 or 1000 to some organization, to keep women and childern out of a home that they could easily die in. Then that is a nobrainer.

not to mention they had to cut the police force by 9 people, when the force is only 52 strong, 9 is a big number.

tistan

Established Member
King Cobra 2001 said:
So, myself being a resident of Colorado and voting yes on C & D, I completely disagree with your statement. Especially since I am a civil engineer for a major heavy highway/bridge contractor. Talk about job security...

What people do not realize is that the infrastructure of this state is declining, and this money will greatly help the cause. I am more than willing to give up a portion of my tax return back so that the money can be used to better the place that I live in.

People that voted no on referendums C & D are ignorant, and most likely scraping by paycheck to paycheck....tax returns are like a bonus to them...even though it was really their money in the first place....

So....all in all, I have no issues whatsoever throwing the state a few more bones.

Why don't every one who voted yes just give the government your money. Why do the people who don't feel the government needs more money have to give also. If you feel like throwing the state more of your bones that is fine. Just don't pass a law that forces other people to do it. Also this tax will not end after 5 years. Taxes never end.

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
tistan said:
Why don't every one who voted yes just give the government your money. Why do the people who don't feel the government needs more money have to give also. If you feel like throwing the state more of your bones that is fine. Just don't pass a law that forces other people to do it.

Last I checked this is still America where everyone gets to vote and whatever happens, happens. You can't just choose which laws to obey and disobey

[/QUOTE]Also this tax will not end after 5 years. Taxes never end.[/QUOTE]

I agree, the gov will probably reneg on the deal and keep the money they took over the previous 5 years. Sux, but that could be a reality. And what can people do about it? Learn, and not vote to let the gov have that power again.

Users who are viewing this thread