So, who has Geico,,,,,,

sc98cbra

Established Member
Y'all do realize that uninsured/under insured only pays up to what your plan pays?
So if you have 50/100/100 it will only pay 50 for your medical/lost wages/etc.

Exactly... But I don't think that you understand how it works. You live in Louisiana, a state that requires only 15/30/25 in liability coverage.

Let's say a driver carrying only Louisiana's minimum limits (15/30/25) causes a collision with you. Assume that you incur $65k in damages (e.g., lost wages, medical bills, etc.) (not including property damage). Unless there is more than one person in the vehicle, or unless there are multiple occurrences, you may recover a maximum of only $15,000 from the insurer of the at-fault party.

UIM:
Because your damages exceed that amount, you will then want to seek recovery from your own insurance carrier. This is when under-insurance coverage kicks in. Depending on the laws of your state (limits-to-limits vs. limits-to-damages), you may recover accordingly. If I remember correctly, in a limits-to-limits state, you may recover only to the extent that your policy limits exceed their policy limits (if you have a 50/100 UIM policy, just subtract 15k (at-fault driver's limits) from your limits (50), giving you a total maximum recovery of $35,000 from UIM). That still leaves you with $15k in excess damages (15k from at-fault driver + 35k from UIM = $50k). If your state follows the limits-to-damages rule, however, then you may recover to the extent that you damages exceed their policy limits (so long as you have enough UIM coverage). Under the hypothetical above, you would be able to recover all $65k in a limits-to-damages state.

NO UIM:
If, however, you don't have UIM coverage, then your only option of recovering for losses that exceed the at-fault driver's limits would be to go after the at-fault driver personally. If the at-fault driver does not have any assets, then you're SOL.

Edit: Also, I didn't realize that you insured six vehicle (my fault for not reading thoroughly). You may be able to stack coverage in the event of a loss. I do not know the laws of Louisiana, so this is just a general, broad, discussion on insurance.

Last edited:

nxhappy

Established Member
And how satisfied are you?
After switching to State farm from Allstate about 10 years ago because Allstate kept going up for no reason it appears State Farm is doing the same.

Same coverage on my Civic is $154 at SF and only $67 a month at Geico.
I switched only that one as it is my work car while I do more research.
The only difference is Geico doesn't offer uninsured motorist if you have full coverage.

Talked to a buddy at a big body shop who says they have no issues dealing with them.

I'm currently getting them to quote my whole fleet and home also.
So, what is your experience with them?
They are HIGH unless you are a 19 year old kid. Call Ameriprise with Costco. After years and years, and many different companies, they are by far the best. If you don't have Costco, pay the $50 for membership. ;)

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Exactly... But I don't think that you understand how it works. You live in Louisiana, a state that requires only 15/30/25 in liability coverage.

Let's say a driver carrying only Louisiana's minimum limits (15/30/25) causes a collision with you. Assume that you incur $65k in damages (e.g., lost wages, medical bills, etc.) (not including property damage). Unless there is more than one person in the vehicle, or unless there are multiple occurrences, you may recover a maximum of only $15,000 from the insurer of the at-fault party.

UIM:
Because your damages exceed that amount, you will then want to seek recovery from your own insurance carrier. This is when under-insurance coverage kicks in. Depending on the laws of your state (limits-to-limits vs. limits-to-damages), you may recover accordingly. If I remember correctly, in a limits-to-limits state, you may recover only to the extent that your policy limits exceed their policy limits (if you have a 50/100 UIM policy, just subtract 15k (at-fault driver's limits) from your limits (50), giving you a total maximum recovery of $35,000 from UIM). That still leaves you with $15k in excess damages (15k from at-fault driver + 35k from UIM = $50k). If your state follows the limits-to-damages rule, however, then you may recover to the extent that you damages exceed their policy limits (so long as you have enough UIM coverage). Under the hypothetical above, you would be able to recover all $65k in a limits-to-damages state.

NO UIM:
If, however, you don't have UIM coverage, then your only option of recovering for losses that exceed the at-fault driver's limits would be to go after the at-fault driver personally. If the at-fault driver does not have any assets, then you're SOL.

Edit: Also, I didn't realize that you insured six vehicle (my fault for not reading thoroughly). You may be able to stack coverage in the event of a loss. I do not know the laws of Louisiana, so this is just a general, broad, discussion on insurance.

I understand that but get this,
My collision will cover to the extent of my coverage as far as the vehicle.

If I have 65k in medical then my actual medical insurance will cover it.
If I'm so ****ed up that I can't work my LTD will kick in.
So I'm covered either way.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Didn't read the whole thread but I can offer my input from the perspective of an estimator who deals with all of the insurance companies regularly. I have State Farm personally, but as far as dealing with them they are one of the worst. Their adjusters are experienced and know what they are doing for the most part but they use that to try to screw you over any chance they get. They try to cut corners and skimp out on covering damages and they are good at doing it. Since I represent the insured as I repair their vehicles, when they try to screw me they are trying to screw you over too.

Geico, from my experience is one of the good ones. I enjoy dealing with them because they really try to take care of the customer and are very cooperative with the shops. They understand we are trying to take care of the customer so they are very accommodating in helping us get things done and everyone paid. I would say Progressive and Geico are the best to deal with and then Allstate and Pemco are usually good as well.

Hope that helps.

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
After having Liberty Mutual my whole life I decided a couple of years ago to shop elsewhere and went with Geico. I'm only saving a couple hundred dollars a year on my auto insurance but the real savings was with the homeowners insurance where I'm saving about 600 bucks a year.
Put in a hassle free claim for a tree limb that fell on one of my cars that ended up costing over 2 grand so I am a happy customer so far.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I've had Geico for 4 years now, moved from Liberty Mutual.
Geico has steadily LOWERED my bill every 6 months. Never an increase.
My wife used it when she was rear-ended and they were great. I didn't have to argue with them about anything. (how often does that happen when filing a claim with auto insurance)

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
I've had Geico for about 15 years. I have hit two deer, and had an 18 wheeler lose an entire wheel and tire that went on a collision course with my Dodge Ram.

So far the rates are good, and service is great.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

CV355

_
Established Member
My collision will cover it.
Uninsured/under insured property damage here is designed for people who want the minimum state required liability and don't want to pay full coverage.

That will get you ACV or repairs, but in my wife's case, it left us $12k short. Had we put Underinsured insurance on that policy, we would have been fine.

nxhappy

Established Member
I'm at my wits end with State Farm, they raise my rates every renewal with no tickets, accidents etc..
for me SF rates were good in my "younger years", then I found Costco insurance and literally saved 50%.

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
I've had Geico for 12 years now and they'll never make a dime on me....They've paid out the following

06 MS6 - Deer - total loss $16,900
07 MS6 - Brake Failure - $15,600
2014 Edge Limited - Rear Ended (driver no insurance) $24,300
2009 Subaru Legacy - Vandalism $9,700
2005 Nissan Pathfinder - Vandalism - $12,300
2006 MS6 - Fire Damage - $9,400

After all this my rates have not gone up besides when I added my boat, RV, and car trailers...I'm #geicofolife...

kyle jones

Established Member
I work for Geico total loss department and when you get a cheaper rate with a little known insurer how your vehicle will be valued if you ever total it and the customer service you receive. You save $800 with this insurance company but they place your card value $1500 less then you really haven’t saved where it counts.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

kyle jones

Established Member
I work for Geico total loss department and when you get a cheaper rate with a little known insurer how your vehicle will be valued if you ever total it and the customer service you receive. You save $800 with this insurance company but they place your card value $1500 less then you really haven’t saved where it counts.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

*consider when you get a cheaper rate, sorry new to posting here

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Blackoyote

Established Member
I've had Geico for a long time, nothing but positive things to say, and it's the cheapest I could get in NC. I've made a few claims, never had an issue getting the car repaired at the place I wanted it done.

AAG

Established Member
Is it not offered in your state? I logged onto my account and I have the ability to have collision and uninsured motorist at the same time. I choose not to since, imo, it's like paying for the same coverage twice with a lower deductible. Not worth it to me.

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
I hate to break it to everyone, but every single company is taking sizable rate increases. In 2016, insurance companies nationwide paid out 106% of what they brought in, and they don't expect rates to be caught up with claims until 2019. So sit tight.

Also, with Geico, are you talking about uninsured motorist property damage? Or uninsured motorist bodily injury? With full coverage (comp and collision), UMPD is redundant and not needed, if you had been paying for the coverage for all those years on top of collision coverage (where the redundancy would take place) I would be pretty upset at the extra money you wasted.

If they don't offer uninsured motorist bodily injury with full coverage, I would be looking elsewhere. That's the coverage that protects you.
Sounds like you work for the man.

Malern28us

Established Member
Premium Member
I have had Farm Bureau, State Farm and GEICO for car insurance.
I pay $480/6 months for full coverage on my 2010 Acura MDX, 2013 Ford Focus and 2011 Mustang GT convertible. I have no complaints with their service. A customer service rep once spent an hour with me on the phone explaining coverages until i had a grasp of their policies.
I use Farmers for homeowners, no one can even come close to their prices for me....

Users who are viewing this thread