So who has replaced the starter in their 96-98?

Rev Happy

Established Member
Pretty sure mine is starting to go out as the car will crank over slowly, skip a little, and sometimes freewheels where it sounds like its cranking too long. The battery and alternator are fairly new and voltage is normal. I hear the starter is not easy to get to and the top bolt can be a real pain in the ass. The car has a MM K member so hopefully I shouldn't have too much trouble in getting to the starter. Just trying to hear other experiences and hopefully a little advice.

Thanks

Last edited:

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Easy to do. I've had mine on and off plenty of times. Lots of extensions and a wobble through the front of the k-member for the top bolt. Should be a 15 minute job tops, even with the stock k-member.

fast_lane

Cobra Junkie
Established Member
Like Tabres said, "Lots of extensions and a wobble through the front of the k-member for the top bolt." Its not very hard.
I found it easier then replacing the old big starters on the 87-90 5.0 Mustang.

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
The first time... took about 2 hours... but everyone is right... a bunch of extensions and swivel adapters..

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
I will admit, me getting it done in 15 minutes involves a second person helping guide the sockets onto the bolts. It is infinitely easier to do with two people.

94venomV8

Established Member
If you have a stock K-member it makes the top bolt a PIA but if you have a K-member it is very easy to do. The K-member frees up so much space so you can actually get your hands up in there to help guide the socket.

ksigatmsu7f02

Established Member
First time I would never call it easy to do.....

If you search there was a thread that I posted in where I listed teh exact combination of swivels and adapters I used that worked well....a couple others listed their combo to success as well....

Rev Happy

Established Member
Thanks for the replies. I'll check the archives for the correct extensions and swivels. Is the starter right by the tranny near the passenger side?

Users who are viewing this thread