SoCal Helicopter Flight with my Grandmother

CobraMac

Established Member
Well it has been a little while since I've posted...I've been around, mostly creeping on the market side...will be buying something this summer and keeping my eye out!

I've posted some helicopter flights before but this one is a little different and fun...I was able to use two of my gopros and hook up audio from our headsets to them so you can hear us talking and me communicating with the towers as well.

Since it was on her bucket list I took my Grandmother and parents for a flight around Southern California...she has flown before in Hawaii but, even in all my years of flying, never with me! It was a blast and seeing the many smiles on her face during the whole flight is heart-warming. Enjoy the video! (P.S. She is almost 90 years old) :)

murse

Established Member
Premium Member
Awesome as always Brandon!!!! Looks like she enjoyed it, how long was the flight?

Another terminator??? or something different????

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Cool! My great grandfather turns 101 this year! He's still doing great, and driving! :eek:

Hope your grandmother is around long enough to go for another flight at 100.

nofire

Sooner#65
Established Member
Nice, man! I'd love to be able to take my parents on something like that, but I have trouble getting them on ANYTHING that leaves the ground. lol

nxhappy

Established Member
very cool. I've been onna few rides, I love it.

CobraMac

Established Member
Cool! My great grandfather turns 101 this year! He's still doing great, and driving! :eek:

That's incredible! Looks like you have some good genes! I really hope she is too!

Nice, man! I'd love to be able to take my parents on something like that, but I have trouble getting them on ANYTHING that leaves the ground. lol

Lol it can be hard getting people in the air sometimes. Fear of the unknown is the biggest thing. I'm able to teach my parents the aerodynamics and help them understand so it makes them feel much better. They love it though!

very cool. I've been onna few rides, I love it.

It's definitely a blast...amazing to be able to fly and control one too!

Wow, very cool !!

Thank you!

CobraMac

Established Member
Awesome as always Brandon!!!! Looks like she enjoyed it, how long was the flight?

Another terminator??? or something different????

Thank you Brian! I'm glad to see you're still on here! The flight was from Orange County to downtown LA, Dodgers Stadium, Hollywood sign, then out to the coastline, up to Pepperdine in Malibu, then all the way back down the whole coastline to Orange County again. Took about 1.5 hours total! It's nice when you can travel 120mpg :)

Car-wise I have some decisions to make...thought about a GTR but want the raw power and a manual transmission so either a new GT500 or a used one only a few years old...we shall see! It's been a while after paying for the wedding, honeymoon, new house and new car for the wife over the past years lol. My turn again.

Well, look what the cat dragged in. Lol
Good to see you back, and thanks for the video.

Lol yes I'm back Brad! I hope you're doing great still! I'm back to stay though don't you worry!

oldmodman

Established Member
Have you flown the R-66? Is the experience a lot different than the R-22 or 44?
I visited the Robinson factory a long, long time ago. I think it was sometime in 1985 and got to talk to Frank. He really knew what he was up against trying to compete against the other helicopter companies. I remember asking him if he had any plans to go turbine. He was pretty sure that a turbine was a future possibility. A good one it seems today.

stiles40

Got SVT?
Established Member
Awesome video!! I'm sure your parents and grandmother are very proud you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
Well it has been a little while since I've posted...I've been around, mostly creeping on the market side...will be buying something this summer and keeping my eye out!

I've posted some helicopter flights before but this one is a little different and fun...I was able to use two of my gopros and hook up audio from our headsets to them so you can hear us talking and me communicating with the towers as well.

Since it was on her bucket list I took my Grandmother and parents for a flight around Southern California...she has flown before in Hawaii but, even in all my years of flying, never with me! It was a blast and seeing the many smiles on her face during the whole flight is heart-warming. Enjoy the video! (P.S. She is almost 90 years old) :)

That has to be quite a thrill. I always wanted to be a helicopter pilot.

Being alive for a 100 years is certainly a longggggggg time on this earth. That reminds me, I just heard about a guy in WWI that was wounded 14 times that lived to be over 100.

CobraMac

Established Member
Very cool video ! Thanks for posting .

Thank you and you're very welcome!

Awesome video!! I'm sure your parents and grandmother are very proud you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you very much! They truly enjoy being able to join me on flights like this!

That has to be quite a thrill. I always wanted to be a helicopter pilot.

Thank you! Even with the amount of hours I have it still never gets old! I'm very blessed that I am able to do this and don't take the opportunities for granted!

Cool vid. Thx

Thank you!

That's kickass

Thanks!!

CobraMac

Established Member
Have you flown the R-66? Is the experience a lot different than the R-22 or 44?
I visited the Robinson factory a long, long time ago. I think it was sometime in 1985 and got to talk to Frank. He really knew what he was up against trying to compete against the other helicopter companies. I remember asking him if he had any plans to go turbine. He was pretty sure that a turbine was a future possibility. A good one it seems today.

I have and compared to all the other turbine helicopters out there it's much cheaper to operate so Frank has stuck to his game plan! He is a very smart man and creative piston driven helicopters revolutionized the industry.

So comparison-wise...the r-22 lacks power compared to the others but is still able to operate at high altitudes. It is also the most maneuverable helicopter out there and the responsiveness is amazing...it feels like a hummingbird. When I describe it to people I say the r-22 is like a jet-ski/sea-doo and the bigger helicopters are like cruise liners. Like on a jet skiing, I n the 22 if you turn left the responsiveness is instantaneous and small inputs create moves. With a cruise liner and like larger helicopters, you turn left and it takes a little longer of time for the helicopter to respond to the movements. Because of this the 22s can be much harder to fly and they say if you can fly an r-22 you can fly anything. I've had high hour friends join me on a flight and they get freaked out with how responsive it is.

The 44 and 66 aren't too different...the 66 is a little wider but not much else different compared to power. I don't need to carry a ton of weight or fly up to 14,000 feet with a bunch of people so I enjoy the 44 for its lower costs, etc.

Sorry a lot more drawn out response than I bet you were expecting but that's the flight instructor in me lol.

Blown 89

Established Member
That's awesome. We sent my grandfather in a WW2 bomber (forgettting the exact one right now) and he had a similar reaction. His only experience with them was providing close air support with the RAF so he had never been in or flown in one. Experiences like this should be a priority in life IMO.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I've really missed your videos. That was awesome that you got to take your grandmother for a ride. You made her very happy. Thanks for sharing that wonderful family experience with us.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Damn it's been a long time man! Blast from the past!! Good to see you're doing well and posting again brotha!

Users who are viewing this thread