Solar panels

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
That seems like a melt down radius of States. You sure their not just paying it forward. Crazy.
ZECs are Zero Emissions Credits. NJ tax payers subsidize The Nuke plants in NJ by paying them credits for not releasing greenhouse gases into the atmosphere. Thats how they stay viable. Otherwise, they would be sold off and or shut down by the resident utility. Nukes have so much ridiculous, but needed, overhead (security, waste disposal, permitting etc) it's insane. They aren't even remotely competitive without subsidies.

Excelon tried to pull the same shit in PA and PA told them to get ****ed.

Generation knows no borders... the grid is the grid and it could care less about state lines. so.. If you live in PA, part of your bill is subsidize by some Dick smooch living in Bergen. LULZ.

Kevinbonds

Established Member
I think the future will be a better quality battery back up. Once that happens solar could make sense, until then it’s all just wishful thinking.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
So if you were to be doing a new roof and/or new building would these make any sense to incorporate into the project?
Asking for a friend :)
-J

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Doesn’t matter what the contract between the solar company and original buyer is. That’s their deal.

If a home owner owes 50k on their solar panels and wants to sell their home, they have to work it out with any potential buyers.

You’d have to find a buyer that wants solar or you eat it.

Then there’s the issue of appraised value. The panels do not raise the appraised value of the home equivalent to cost or anywhere close. So the new buyers can’t get a loan to cover the panels.

Every realtor I know hates dealing with it. Many deals fail over them.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Anyone know what the removal/dump in the garbage/plug the holes cost is for the "average" house with solar panels?

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
Anyone know what the removal/dump in the garbage/plug the holes cost is for the "average" house with solar panels?
The cost of a new roof plus $3k and up (dependent on roof size) for removal and landfill of your old panels. Neighbor has a roofing company, he wont touch a solar house unless its to dump the panels and replace the whole roof.

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
A few probably minimal anecdotes:

1. Quite a long time ago I did what was at the time probably the largest solar array on a building. It was a large warehouse in PA. Seemed like the numbers on it were so/so even with throwing state credits (available at the time) on top of the federal credits. Client was tree hugging virtue signalers so they were all in.

2. We did systems on a couple of apartment developments 8-10 years ago here in Indiana. Finance guy was all in to it and did have it figured out to make a little bit of money at the back end. These were student housing projects also so it was done with the tree hugging virtue signalers in mind that would live there. We have done none since this and last time I talked to him about it, he admitted probably not worth it. Additionally, we sold the developments so don't have to jack with them when roof repair/replacement comes up.

I am sure these things perform quite a bit better in the SE and SW but no way I would ever put some on my house (with current technology) in the MW.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah, solar is a ways off from being cost effective. The panels aren't very efficient. Batteries are expensive and the maintenance is cost prohibitive.

Maybe in 100 years they'll have it figured out.

Fat Boss

Established Member
It really depends on how much you pay for electricity. I know people who's systems paid for themselves in 8 years. Since then the cost of panels have gone up, but so has electricity- a lot. My marginal cost for the juice is almost 80 cents per kWh. Payback is much quicker than other parts of the country.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
It's a crying shame that with all our technolgy we are not living 100% off the suns FREE energy. MONEY. I believe it could have happened by now.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Some branches of technology are dead ends. I believe Solar, at the demand level and planetary has come to a near peak.
Agree, look where I live. Not a big deal to people, unless you're some moron who just moved here from the northeast. I also crack up at the idiots doing metal roofs. While awesome, when you're 60 plus, not worth it. Normal 50 year tabs will last 25 easy anymore. Do the math. Now, if I was 30 when I did my new roof...shit's about forever.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Just saw on the local news here this morning. Insurance companies are cancelling people who have these panels on the their roof.

sleek98

Established Member
Just saw on the local news here this morning. Insurance companies are cancelling people who have these panels on the their roof.

Some companies would not cover ours, progressive was the only one I can remember. They would not cancel our insurance they just excluded the panels from the policy. We saved about 10% by swapping to a different company so it was not a big loss anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread