Some GoPro Downhill Mountain Vids from my Whistler Bike Park trip...

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
Made my annual trip to Whistler, British Columbia for Downhill mountain biking last week. Was rewarded with the usual awesome weather and sick riding. Cant wait to get back as always.

This passion/sport is the only thing that makes me think of getting rid of my cobra and doing more of this, truly the cheapest legal fun you can have in the world.....

No music...just good ole riding....view in 720p. Thanks!!!

A-Line, one of the best trails on the mountain, Whistler's signature trail...
A-Line @ Whistler Aug 2012 - YouTube

Black Velvet, one of their newest lines on the upper mountain
Whistler Bike Park 2012 -- Black Velvet - YouTube

Upper Freight Train, Merchant + misc....fast, flowy, big hits, and drops.
Whistler Bike Park Garbanzo Zone -- Upper Freight Train, Black Velvet - YouTube

No Joke, drop in clinic, box car jump, Freight Train.....lots of techy rooty/rocky lines....
Whistler Bike Park 2012 -- Garbo Zone -- No Joke, box car drop, Freight Train, drop-in Clinic - YouTube

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
Great stuff Allen.

Just watched all four and it sure is beautiful terrain. Here in SoCal everything is all dried up and dead. Plus the skill required is beyond what I could ride.

Sure looks like fun though.

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
Now you're talking.. I go downhilling at Big Sky every summer.. Usually buy a pass but I've been too busy this year.. It's an adrenaline you can't even describe, so much above and beyond skiing or boarding the same runs. I've ALWAYS wanted to do Whistler since I was a little kid, was planning on going this year, but had to go back to work early.. Next year for sure!!

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
Great stuff Allen.

Just watched all four and it sure is beautiful terrain. Here in SoCal everything is all dried up and dead. Plus the skill required is beyond what I could ride.

Sure looks like fun though.

Thanks! BC is a beautiful place even coming from
Alaska. Perfect mux of summer temps, and mountains.

Whistler bike park us for everyone from the beginner to expert. Give it a try sometime.

I'd rather jump out of a plane...

I like to drink water...

Now you're talking.. I go downhilling at Big Sky every summer.. Usually buy a pass but I've been too busy this year.. It's an adrenaline you can't even describe, so much above and beyond skiing or boarding the same runs. I've ALWAYS wanted to do Whistler since I was a little kid, was planning on going this year, but had to go back to work early.. Next year for sure!!

Im trying do some parks out west this fall with some travel. Trestle and Utah....hoping for the best.

Whistler is super cheap in the summer. Including lift for 6 days, food, drinks rental car from seattle and condo it was under 1k!!

WHITESVTCOBRA

Established Member
that's outstanding, sometimes the gopro just doesn't give the perception of just how much air or how big of a drop you just took, but I can imagine that was intense.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
I like to drink water...

I think you missed what I was trying to say. Generally jumping out of an airplane is considered a hardcore thing to do. Now, that I said I would rather jump out of one, I'm basically saying you were doing some pretty hardcore shit. Tracking? No need to come back with a smart ass response.

mr-proper

Established Member
i hate youuuuuu MAN!! since i lived in germany i wanted to go to the whistler bike park!! i am a big fan of mountain biking (Street,freeride) i right know i trying to finish my mountain cycle battery build, but to many hobbies right now i cant blow 2-3k into my mountain bike build(live in SC no freaking MOuntains :fm:) so i hope i get it done by the beginning of the next sommer!
sick videos! i miss it!

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
I think you missed what I was trying to say. Generally jumping out of an airplane is considered a hardcore thing to do. Now, that I said I would rather jump out of one, I'm basically saying you were doing some pretty hardcore shit. Tracking? No need to come back with a smart ass response.

Tracking just fine bud, apologies if I came across smart-ass like, not my intention. Maybe I intentionally lost tracking/interest when you mentioned something about jumping out of plane.

Have a nice one...

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
i hate youuuuuu MAN!! since i lived in germany i wanted to go to the whistler bike park!! i am a big fan of mountain biking (Street,freeride) i right know i trying to finish my mountain cycle battery build, but to many hobbies right now i cant blow 2-3k into my mountain bike build(live in SC no freaking MOuntains :fm:) so i hope i get it done by the beginning of the next sommer!
sick videos! i miss it!

You should just rent a bike there, they have more rental shops than you can imagine with quality bikes all current year builds.

The place is truly special, I tend to learn more there in 1 week than I do my whole riding season when back home. Its a game changer...

Have you seen this one?? One of the best Whistler Edits ever!

The Mountain Biking Community - Strength in Numbers - Whistler - YouTube

WHITESVTCOBRA that's outstanding, sometimes the gopro just doesn't give the perception of just how much air or how big of a drop you just took, but I can imagine that was intense.

Your correct, hate to hype it up anymore than it is, some of the drops are 8-10ft, some of the larger jumps 20-30ft

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That first video was sick Allen. I bike, but have never done any mountain biking. What is your average speed going downhill like that?

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
That first video was sick Allen. I bike, but have never done any mountain biking. What is your average speed going downhill like that?

There is a section towards the end of that 1st video where guys have reportedly hit 45-50mph on the fast open section.....Average I would say the 1st video would be 20-30.....

Alot of it varies on terrain and experience. I have seen guys go thru sections at speeds I didnt think were humanly possible due to just knowing the terrain/trail that good. Lots of locals at Whistler are just flat out rippers, its cool to follow them down some of the trails, always find new lines and way to look at things.

TorchMach

Established Member
That's badass...I once did a trail on a bmx and got hooked after falling.lol

I bet that's one of the perks of living in such a area.

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member

My speedo said a max of 64 once :eek: It was down a straight run under the chair lift that was basically the consistency of a very rocky riverbed.. I swear I picked out hundreds of rocks that would make me wreck, but speed and momentum just made me float over them.. Almost shit myself on that run.

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
That's badass...I once did a trail on a bmx and got hooked after falling.lol

I bet that's one of the perks of living in such a area.

I live in Alaska, and unfortunately all of the riding here is hike your bike up a 3500ft mountain and ride down a non exsistant/low maintenance hiking trail. Makes you really appreciate bike parks and the work it takes to have a product for the riders......

I didnt get back on a till I was 30 years old when I deployed to Korea in 2008, I had no car, started off with just a 6" trail bike, and didnt buy my 1st Downhill bike till late 2010 and havent looked back. I think once you have BMX/biking in your blood from childhood it comes back wayyy to easy and is something you will have a passion for. Felt like walking to me.

Places like Whistler will change your life, allows you to be a kid again, age is a just a number there. You will 6 year olds on the same trails as 40-50 year people taking lessons, they have something to offer for everyone. My daughter is 6, and Im already planning her 1st trip 3 years from now...cant wait.

My speedo said a max of 64 once :eek: It was down a straight run under the chair lift that was basically the consistency of a very rocky riverbed.. I swear I picked out hundreds of rocks that would make me wreck, but speed and momentum just made me float over them.. Almost shit myself on that run.

It amazing what these big bikes can do, and go over, then you look back and say, I should of been dead. My budget brawler as I call it....

f3bdddb6.jpg

WutApex

Wut Apex!?!
Established Member
Nice rig. I think 09 was the last time I went to Trestle. They had some really nice Konas to rent. Amazing the difference between a real DH bike vs my 6" AM. It can often inspire more confidence than your alloted talent and you still make it through.

I just cant seem to find the time and motivation to get back on the bike. Every time I take my steel hardtail it's like you said, I'm a kid again...I have so much fun.

Users who are viewing this thread