Some upgrades for badcobra - Twin PTE 6870's, 6" Garrett intercooler

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
It's some flat top pistons and the heads have been milled a little bit. I think we've calculated it to 10.9x something. I run pump e85
That’s even more crazy to me you’re running pump lol. My car didn’t like pump at 900rwhp lol. And it was decent pump e85

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
That’s even more crazy to me you’re running pump lol. My car didn’t like pump at 900rwhp lol. And it was decent pump e85
Friend of mine has only ever run pump e85 and makes 1200-1300 wheel. Been 8.5x's@167. Guess some sources are a little more consistent. I understand the use of c85 for consistency though. Too much time and money into people's setups to let bad fuel kill the fun.
@badcobra awesome as usual man.

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
Friend of mine has only ever run pump e85 and makes 1200-1300 wheel. Been 8.5x's@167. Guess some sources are a little more consistent. I understand the use of c85 for consistency though. Too much time and money into people's setups to let bad fuel kill the fun.
@badcobra awesome as usual man.
I generally get my fuel from the same station. I bring jugs and fill up. Seems its consistent year round, always real e85+. I would like to try some One Ethanol at some point, we'll see.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
I generally get my fuel from the same station. I bring jugs and fill up. Seems its consistent year round, always real e85+. I would like to try some One Ethanol at some point, we'll see.
As long as it has been good for you, is there a reason to try anything else?....haha. E85 is its highest I've seen in 6 years here. $2.10/gallon. Still cheaper to fill the whole tank than to use an gallon of C16...haha. Love me some corn!!

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
As long as it has been good for you, is there a reason to try anything else?....haha. E85 is its highest I've seen in 6 years here. $2.10/gallon. Still cheaper to fill the whole tank than to use an gallon of C16...haha. Love me some corn!!
I think it would pick up some power with better fuel, but every time I think about doing it, I then think I don't want to hassle with it lol.

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
Took 37lbs to get there and I'm hoping it holds together for a good long while! It makes more power at less boost than it ever has, the 6870's are so badass. In 2019 with the 6766's, it made 1346 on 34lbs. Now it makes over 1450 on 32lbs. The biggest differences there is the work done on the cylinder heads, new turbos and intercooler. How's your car coming along? My brother said you haven't picked your engine up yet lol.

You mentioned that it's not even O-ringed? That's crazy. What gasket and head stud combination are you using to contain that? I've been nervous to turn mine past 25-30psi.

And I suppose here is as good a place as any- do you have anything special for the timing set? And what type of limiters do you use with the standalone? (fuel cut, spark cut, rolling cut, etc...) That's another weakness I've been nervous about on mine.

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
You mentioned that it's not even O-ringed? That's crazy. What gasket and head stud combination are you using to contain that? I've been nervous to turn mine past 25-30psi.

And I suppose here is as good a place as any- do you have anything special for the timing set? And what type of limiters do you use with the standalone? (fuel cut, spark cut, rolling cut, etc...) That's another weakness I've been nervous about on mine.
Sorry for the delay, been down in Houston beating on this thing and driving it all over town this week! Probably put 400+ miles on.

I use the Fel-Pro black head gaskets, 26187PT and 26222PT along with ARP 2k studs torqued to 100 ft/lb.

As for timing components, I have all the Cloyes billet gears, Shelby Mike arms, Accufab secondary chains, CE secondary tensioner etc.

My tuner has built many safeties into the tune, fuel pressure, oil pressure, coolant pressure and probably other ones I don't even know about. I'm lucky to have an incredible tuner to help on the car.

68gtscode

Established Member
Very impressive car and build. Would you be willing to share your suspension setup? Also, what are your thoughts on the necessity of beadlocks at your power level on the street? Thanks!

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
Very impressive car and build. Would you be willing to share your suspension setup? Also, what are your thoughts on the necessity of beadlocks at your power level on the street? Thanks!
It's pretty basic, but with all this new power I definitely need to tweak it some for rolls on on the street. You do not need beadlocks on the street.

Front:
Strange DA struts, Racecraft coilovers

Rear:
Viking Crusader DA coilovers
Team Z DA lower control arms
D&D DA upper control arms
UPR 8.8 brace

68gtscode

Established Member
It's pretty basic, but with all this new power I definitely need to tweak it some for rolls on on the street. You do not need beadlocks on the street.

Front:
Strange DA struts, Racecraft coilovers

Rear:
Viking Crusader DA coilovers
Team Z DA lower control arms
D&D DA upper control arms
UPR 8.8 brace

Thank you very much. Are you running any type of front sway bar? How about rear- are you running a sway bar or ARB?

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
Ran a local event called MAP Proving Grounds at Brainerd International Raceway last weekend. I made it to the final of the roll race event and ran my buddy's Supra. It has an 88mm on it and runs nearly 50psi, just a super badass car. I had been turning badcobra up all day and saved my best run for last. Crossed the stripe at 172.72 and the mov was .0029 and got the big W.

I drove to another track to do some drag racing the next day and went 5.60 @ 134, so still have some work to do there. But if I had stayed in it, should have been an 8.5x @ 170 or so. I'll post that up later when I get it uploaded.

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
Damn that was close! What do you have for a rear spoiler? Would love to see more detail of that. Your car has been one to look for the past few years, always love seeing it in videos

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
Damn that was close! What do you have for a rear spoiler? Would love to see more detail of that. Your car has been one to look for the past few years, always love seeing it in videos

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
Thanks Geoff. The wing is a strutless drag wing made by a guy named Robert Carter. Picked up a wingless v6 trunk lid from a junkyard and painted everything. It turned out pretty nice. I noticed something in my logs from this run how much that downforce helps lock the front the rear wheel speed together above about 110mph. At the finish line, the front wheel speed was actually 2mph more than the rear. Maybe that's normal, but seems crazy to me.

QQlhw8fl.jpg
QQlhw8fl.jpg

Attachments

• QQlhw8f.jpg
    QQlhw8f.jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 136

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Thanks Geoff. The wing is a strutless drag wing made by a guy named Robert Carter. Picked up a wingless v6 trunk lid from a junkyard and painted everything. It turned out pretty nice. I noticed something in my logs from this run how much that downforce helps lock the front the rear wheel speed together above about 110mph. At the finish line, the front wheel speed was actually 2mph more than the rear. Maybe that's normal, but seems crazy to me.

QQlhw8fl.jpg
QQlhw8fl.jpg

Would that be because of the downforce pushing down on the rear tires making them "shorter"?

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
Would that be because of the downforce pushing down on the rear tires making them "shorter"?
I think it definitely has to do with downforce, I'm just not fully sure on the physics of it. That's exactly why I put that wing on there though, to be able to plant the power. 38.5lbs of boost there through the traps.

Users who are viewing this thread