someone tried to steal my car.

jakesspv6

Established Member
Well while I was working someone attempted to steal my mustang today. They messed up the ignition and the key hole on the driver side door. Anyone know anywhere to get a replacement for the ignition and door key hole to use with my current key? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Jake

IMG_3594.jpg

bumsoil

Established Member
someone tried to steal my car about 2 weeks ago. exterior lock cylinder is ****ed, and metal around lock is severely bent. insurance called attempted theft. i still have a co pay :p

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
I think American muscle sells the parts you need.
You then can have a locksmith re key the new locks , to match your old key.
But since the kit A.M. sells is just that , comes with the door and ignition , I believe trunk and glove box as well , you really don't need to use your old key , unless it is a chipped key .

1BD9D7

Rollin down the road in..
Established Member
I thought all these keys have chips? I remember we had a 96 that had been stolen, salvage titled, and had a replacement key where the chip could slide in and out. You could have the car running, take the chip out and it would die.

iamtheshaner

IH84DZ
Established Member
Sucks man, depending on your deductible it may be best to just go through the insurance especially if the door sheet metal needs to be fixed.

I lived in Detroit for about 3 years and had a Taurus stolen in the same manner. Of course, the police didn't care - they said "hang tight I'll find your car stripped of all valuables in about 48 hours in southwest Detroit, just call your insurance and have a nice life". That's exactly what happened.

So, at that point I put full coverage on the foxbody, installed a starter inhibit alarm without a siren and programmed it to randomly honk the horn (which people tend to pay more attention to). It being a manual though, was still capable of being push started. So I wired the fuel pump relay control circuit in series with my seatbelt switch. The car would only run with the seatbelt buckled. SUPER EASY job on a fox with the fuel pump relay under the driver's seat. Little more complicated with SN95's and CCRMs but I'd consider running some sort of fuel cut on a hidden switch.

If a thief wants your car bad enough there is nothing you can do. Make it so they need a towtruck is the best you can do, really. Lo-Jack, GPS tracker, shotgun tripwire, alarm, fuel cut switch - all highly recommended

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
You can buy the new lockset and key cylinder from American Muscle, Amazon, Rockauto, wherever...

You'll need new keys with chips in them, but this causes a dilemma for the PATS..

SO.... You would need to make regular copies of these new keys... Take the transponders off the old keys or even just hold it up by the receiver ring while using the blank keys to program.. then program the rest of they new keys..

Bam..

jakesspv6

Established Member
the dealer will always be able to get it done the quickest. Whats your location?
live in mckinney, tx I'm trying to not get butt raped by the dealer so that is last resort.

Ok, now I scared to leave my Cobra parked anywhere!
believe me, I thought I was going to have to leave it there. luckily I got the car to start running.

I think American muscle sells the parts you need.
You then can have a locksmith re key the new locks , to match your old key.
But since the kit A.M. sells is just that , comes with the door and ignition , I believe trunk and glove box as well , you really don't need to use your old key , unless it is a chipped key .
The only problem with getting the set from AM is if I get a new set of keys, what about pats.
I thought all these keys have chips? I remember we had a 96 that had been stolen, salvage titled, and had a replacement key where the chip could slide in and out. You could have the car running, take the chip out and it would die.
yes they do, which is why these assholes couldn't take it. so they wasted time messing up my car for nothing and now I'm suffering
Yes, they have a chip in it and generic ones that are sold do not have them.

Sucks man, depending on your deductible it may be best to just go through the insurance especially if the door sheet metal needs to be fixed.

I lived in Detroit for about 3 years and had a Taurus stolen in the same manner. Of course, the police didn't care - they said "hang tight I'll find your car stripped of all valuables in about 48 hours in southwest Detroit, just call your insurance and have a nice life". That's exactly what happened.

So, at that point I put full coverage on the foxbody, installed a starter inhibit alarm without a siren and programmed it to randomly honk the horn (which people tend to pay more attention to). It being a manual though, was still capable of being push started. So I wired the fuel pump relay control circuit in series with my seatbelt switch. The car would only run with the seatbelt buckled. SUPER EASY job on a fox with the fuel pump relay under the driver's seat. Little more complicated with SN95's and CCRMs but I'd consider running some sort of fuel cut on a hidden switch.

If a thief wants your car bad enough there is nothing you can do. Make it so they need a towtruck is the best you can do, really. Lo-Jack, GPS tracker, shotgun tripwire, alarm, fuel cut switch - all highly recommended
gonna look more into some different security but honestly pats kicked their ass so they couldn't take the car.

You can buy the new lockset and key cylinder from American Muscle, Amazon, Rockauto, wherever...

You'll need new keys with chips in them, but this causes a dilemma for the PATS..

SO.... You would need to make regular copies of these new keys... Take the transponders off the old keys or even just hold it up by the receiver ring while using the blank keys to program.. then program the rest of they new keys..

Bam..
so what you're saying is use my original key to reprogram new keys that are cut for the new ignition and locks? I have never programmed a key to my car and only have 1 original how hard would that be to do?

Did the cops come take a report or any prints?
nope, pretty much did a police report and said nothing would most likely come out of it.

arayray

Established Member
I replaced the ignition in mine and had to get a locksmith to program a new chip for the key and then recode it to work with the door locks. You will need to check if any locksmiths can do that or you will have to take it to Ford.

94_Vert

Established Member
Our local hardware store started selling chipped keys and fobs. Only $50 per, including programing. I bought a car that only had 1 set, and wanted a back up. Worked fine.

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
Our local hardware store started selling chipped keys and fobs. Only $50 per, including programing. I bought a car that only had 1 set, and wanted a back up. Worked fine.

Programming when you only have 1 working key? How?

shurur

Established Member
A good locksmith can do all this work...and cut better keys.

Also, for piece of mind, take a look at installing REVELCO.
The simplist ideas are the best.
They will install in your driveway.

CJK440

Established Member
OP, chances are to force the ignition cylinder out of the column, they damaged the column. Lake a look inside, I am willing to bet you will need to start shopping for a new column. When my 95 was stolen I had to replace it. Not a huge or expensive job but harder than simply throwing a new cylinder in.

94_Vert

Established Member
Programming when you only have 1 working key? How?

Idk how they do it, but it worked and was much better than the 250-300 the dealer wants. This is a crappy little store too so if they do it others must also. Only took like 20 min.

Users who are viewing this thread