something everyone should read...

Derek@Amazon

RTCTTFMF!!!
Established Member
for the war against the war... this is something i believe everyone should read. for those who dont know Ari Weeks was my brother in law. he was killed in iraq september 10th 2007. my sister was staying in DC with her friend and the priest came out to my moms house. i had to call my sister get her address knowing something happen to Ari and not tell her or lead on to anything that Ari was killed. but anyway before i start to tear up again...

This is something Ari wrote while he was in Baghdad, Iraq. When his belongings came back from Iraq after he died I found it written in the back of a Stenopad. Not many people have read it but someone I know recently posted an anti-war youtube video on their facebook page of ex-soldiers that were saying what the U.S. was doing in the middle east was wrong. The video made me so upset/angry that I had to post this. A local newspaper had mentioned this note in an article shortly after his death saying that he wrote a letter on his deathbed. That is untrue. I know there may be some confusion and it seems as if he wrote this knowing he was going to die but I assure you, this was not written on his deathbed. I think it was more or less what he wanted everyone to know in case something happened to him. He was an amazing writter and I am priviledged to share this with you... Enjoy and as always, if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all.
"As the sun slips behind the palms and dips below the horizon to hide away from the raging violence masked by darkness, this is Baghdad City; where everything is life or death and today I breathe my last breath with one last prayer. Don't let my life, my death, be turned by those who do not understand war and partriotism into one without purpose. There are those who do not understand the truth behind this war because they have not lived it. They do not have an accurate portait of the vitality this war has in preserving the freedoms and rights most take for granted, never thinking about how privileged they are to live in a land of freedom and democracy. A way of life millions upon millions will never experience.
Some may say that the war is pointless. These are the people who have never stepped a foot on the ground of Iraq, have never experienced the cruelties of war, never seen unforgettable faces, unforgettable screams of war. Who are they to pass judgement on something they know nothing about besides what they see in the nightly news or the Sunday paper. These people have never seen the hopelessnes in the eyes of children condemned to a life of violence, murder, loss and poverty. An oblivious or misinformed mind might say this life was brought about by an American presence but that is a mind forgetting to acknowledge the violent history of Iraq. To not have a presence in Iraq would mean certain death to millions of women, children and men alike, by the hands of evil men. As for the war on terrorism, yes, that is the other ugly side of the war. I ask only one question of you. Would you rather have this war fought on U.S. soil? Think back to September 11. That was a breif look into the eyes of war. That was a taste of what life would be like if this war on terrorism was brought upon our precious land, our precious land of liberty and freedom.
Many men have fought and died before I, to achieve this way of life and I am honored to be amongst those who made the ultimate sacrifice not only for my country but for humanity. Some will not ever be able to grasp this mindset. I ask only that you try because there is a bitter sweet truth in it.
In my last few breaths these are my thoughts. I know my leaving this Earth may cause some a great deal of pain but please take some comfort in knowing that I go with the great honor of serving my country and those who need its help. I leave doing something I believe in; working to make a difference more than many can say. My only regret is this pain that [you] my loved ones feel. I can promise you something though; keep me alive in your minds and hearts and I will always be there looking over your shoulder. I will be there to hear your words, to cry with you, to laugh with you, so long as you never forget the times in which we shared. I will never be too far from where you stand. This I promise. As I begin to drift away to the Heavens my last words to my beautiful wife and loving family- My love cannot die. It will always be with you. Thank you for a beautiful life and such a genuine love as that of which you have given me."
-SPC Ari Daniel Brown-Weeks
August 9, 1984 - September 10, 2007
I tagged the people I thought would be interested in reading this... if I forgot anyone or you want to share with more people, please do so, but be respectful. The purpose of me posting this was not to start a political or war debate and if you have something negative to say please say it to someone who cares about your opinion.
-Ashley Weeks

thanks for reading...

Ironhand

Banned
Amazing words. I wouldn't be the person I am today if not for the people I served with. We all thought like he did. Ready to do what it took to defend our honor, freedoms, liberties and the American way. We set fourth with a goal that no matter what, our families, our friends, and our fellow Americans wouldn't have to do the same things we had to endure in their own backyards. For death is never the end but to die for ones country is truly the highest honor men like me could ever hope to receive.

In death I hope he becomes larger then life itself and truly never forgotten. His sacrifice, like many others will never be forgotten by a grateful nation.

Respectfully, Cory

Quick89

Established Member
Very beautiful. My thoughts go out to you and your family always. I have spent the last 8 years of my life fighting this war. I have lost to this day 37 good friends since 2003, I will never forget any of them. I see their faces every day.
I will also never forget the sacrifice that 4,454 Men and Woman have made to ensure everyone's freedom as well as mine. I promise that they will never be forgotten.
I have 16 days left on my 4th and final tour to Iraq. I am so thankful I made it through all of this. I have seen more than i ever thought possible or wanted to. I guess now I have to prepare for Afghanistan and continue to fight the fight until it's all said and done.
Thanks again to all the brave men and woman.

"Rock of the Marne!"

Last edited:

Mustang71

Did I say that out loud?
Established Member
very powerful read. I hope he knows that many people thank him for his service and appreciate everything him and service members do. Its things like this that make me want to run down to the recruiters office and sign up, its refreshing to hear someone say good things about the war and make it seem worthwhile.

Cobra2001X

Banned
Thanks for sharing, those were some truly amazing words from an American Hero! People like him are the foundation of our freedom

wvmystichrome

Established Member
That is truly great. My father was a Marine in WW2. He believed the way your brother did. My father went over seas so that others would not have to and have the freedom to continue to enjoy life after the war. May God's peace be with you and your family KNOWING that your brother is/was/and always will be a HERO.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
What a wonderful read, and very inspiring. He was/is a true hero and will be greatly missed by his family. Wow!

Derek@Amazon

RTCTTFMF!!!
Established Member
thanks! if you guys know anyone who you think would like to read it please pass it along... if this letter helps some one understand why we are at war id be truely greatful.

cobrkilrl

Established Member
As a 21 year retired veteran, I still tear up when reading about our military men and women. That has to be one of the most beautiful and sincere pieces i have ever read. Thank You for sharing that. I know it was hard for you to do. To this day I still say a silent pray for our men and women in uniform and if I could do it all over again, I would. Thank You.

Users who are viewing this thread