Somone help me!

Blue03Snake

Established Member
i need someone's help on how to do the 1/4 mile...can anyone just tell me exactly what they do, from the time they stage from when its over? i go to the strip and run 13.5's....then i give her to my buddies and they run 11's...

Stopsign32v

Established Member
Alittle more information would be helpful. You're saying that when you run your own car you run a 13.5 and your friends can run 11's in YOUR car? If so then you need to learn how to drive.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
the only way to truly learn is to go the strip and practice practice practice. And if your buddy is running 11s in YOUR car then ask him for advice. Each track is different in preparation and that will dictate how to really launch your car effectively.

But, to help you a bit, I believe most Cobra guys bring the revs up to about 2500ish and slip the clutch a bit when its time to launch. And depending on how you stage at the light launch on the second amber...

Stopsign32v

Established Member
Originally posted by RTStabler51

But, to help you a bit, I believe most Cobra guys bring the revs up to about 2500ish and slip the clutch a bit when its time to launch. And depending on how you stage at the light launch on the second amber...

If he is running mid 13's in his car and other people are running 11's in his car the LAST thing he needs to worry about is actually staging and launching the car. Blue03Snake the best thing you can do out there is wait for the green and leave at idle. But like I said, with the limited information you have given in this thread I doubt anyone can help you out much. Do you still have stock gears? Do you have solid axle or IRS? Do you have stock tires? etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc DUHHHHHH :rollseyes

SVT4ME

Established Member
Maybe your buddies drive it like they stole it. Hell jump in the passenger seat for a ride and see what they do differently then you. Your wieght will slow their times a 1/10 or two but just copy and paste!

94Mustang302

Long Live 302...
Established Member
how well do you launch off the line? another question is how are you at shifting? if your buddy is doing 11's then hes powershifting.

Blue03Snake

Established Member
i can't get off the line really well....i just spin every single time...i don't powershift, but i shift relativly fast...

lthlsnake

U like spike strips? I do
Established Member
If i was you i would rev the car at 2500rpms slip the clutch just about a car lenth but dont slip it to much and then start power shifting it dont be scared about breaking something either!!!

Ponygirlracing

*Liz*
Established Member
Sounds like you need to get a lot of practice. The best place to practice is at the track. The first time I ran my car I ran a 15.7. I let my b/f drive and he ran 14 flat. I just kept going back and now I run 13.7. Just takes practice. You need to learn how to feel your car.

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
I can't say that I've ver driven a Cobra, however, when I had my Vette, i found that the best way for me to launch off the line w/it was to give her about three quarter pedal while letting the clutch pedal out considerably faster than the way you woulf from a usual every day start, but NOT dumping the clutch all at once either. I found that if I dumped the clutch all at once, it would only be good for doing a burnout. Also, be sure that you aren't letting off the gas until you get past the finish line. that might sound simplistic, but some new guys make that mistake. I hope this helps.

SVT4ME

Established Member
Make sure you go to the track with a full tank of gas. Some weight in the back may help you put it down.

StngStr

Mustang-less
Established Member
Ignore the last comment about the full tank of gas.

Go with as little gas as possible, and just learn to launch well with the less weight. I slip the clutch from 2500 rpms and cut consistent 2.0's with el cheapo street tires (not DR's).

TheYellowCobra

Established Member
Just rev it up a little, around 2000 rpms, and let the clutch out fast then floor it. If it bogs a little bit you will still get better times then spinning the tires. If it does bog, try a harder launch next time. With practice you can get 1.9-2.0 60' times with the stock tires.

Fifth Mustang

Established Member
Blue03Snake said:
i need someone's help on how to do the 1/4 mile...can anyone just tell me exactly what they do, from the time they stage from when its over? i go to the strip and run 13.5's....then i give her to my buddies and they run 11's...

Since you are a beginner, keep it simple and you should be able to get into the 12's pure stock. Here are your steps to follow:

1. Reduce rear tire pressure to around 20 psi; This will dampen wheel hop
2. Forget about cutting a light, you can launch anytime after the tree has been activated. Wait until you are good and ready, and forget about the other lane. Watch the tach carefully so that you will remember what exact RPM you are launching at.
3. Launch between 2000 and 3000, but the higher the rpm the more you need to slip the clutch, and visa versa. This is the ONLY difficult part and it is very different from how you would launch most other hi-performance cars you may have driven. You must release the clutch gradually as you floor the throttle. You'll know you did it right when the rpms don't drop/bog when you launch.
4. Shift fast, but don't worry about the perfect power shift...we're talking hundreths of a second with this, and you are looking for tenths. Shift at 6000 RPM. If you get wheel hop on the 1-2 shift, don't let the clutch out quite so hard.

If you can get the hang of the clutch slipping launch, your 60' can be under 2 seconds. If you can't, you can try to leave with a SLIGHT bog and still manage some high 12's w/ 60' in the 2.10-.15 range.

PS - You didn't mention your MPH, as that would be the simplest way to determine if your car is making normal power for a stock Cobra.

Good Luck!

red 04

sick 04
Established Member
what i do is rev it to 2000 and drop the clutch and floor it right after. it does not hurt to get a little wheel spin. if it gets to bad then fether the throttle. if you are good at power shifting then you should not spin the wheels at all. if you are not comfortable with power shifting then shift normaly till you are comrortable. this should help, good luck!

2004 torch red terminator
mods: deensecharger cai, 3.1 pully, diablo tune, spinntech mufflers

z-eater

stock with pulley
Established Member
i drop the pressaure to 16psi then heat up my tires good (nittos 315/35/17)
get the rev up to 4000 rpm and drop it you should be fine i cut 60foot 1.60 to 1.70 all day long. try it you want brake nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread