Sonax Wheel Cleaner, best stuff I've used

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
So I've heard a lot of good things about this Sonax stuff from BMW guys, and figured I'd pick some up at the local retailer and try it out.

Well, this stuff is nothing short of amazing. I literally spent less than 30 seconds with a wheel brush on the inside of the barrel, and did not TOUCH the outside of the wheel (though it wasn't bad to begin with like the inside), and only the super stuck-on stuff is still on. Pics (last one is blurry, I'll grab a better one later):

DSC00113.jpg

DSC00114.jpg

DSC00115.jpg

Now a small bottle is 20 bucks, and only does 2 sets of wheels (big container is 100 and does about 20 sets), but the results I found were worth it. Remember, I spent less than 30 seconds agitating the inside barrel with a brush, and did not touch the outside. Had I taken off the wheel, I would have made these wheels look brand new. Oh yeah, the stuff also sprays green but turns red when it binds to brake dust.

zeus201

Established Member
There was a thread over on one of the detailing forums that used it and said it was awesome.

Where did you pick it up locally?

T-Bolt

Established Member
There was a thread over on one of the detailing forums that used it and said it was awesome.

Where did you pick it up locally?

I picked it up at Detailer's Domain in Norwood, NJ. Phil is a great guy and will spend the time to help you with anything detailing-wise.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
Nice! Another option is Poor Boy's Spray and Rinse. It's the only one I've tried, but it's awesome as well. Spray it on, let it sit for 20secs or so, scrub with a wheel brush, and rinse off using the "Jet" setting on the hose. They come out looking much brighter than if I just use a wash mit and soap.

gettinby

Established Member
Sonax is the best hands down! Even at a hundred dollars, at least you wont run out as soon as you would going small. Its money well spent.

oldmodman

Established Member
The big jug is 5 liters or 1.33 gallons. That would probably last me five years.
If you really like it wait till one of the big detailing sites has a big sale. Next big sale weekend will probably be Labor Day. Last year several sites had 20% off and free shipping.

T-Bolt

Established Member
The big jug is 5 liters or 1.33 gallons. That would probably last me five years.
If you really like it wait till one of the big detailing sites has a big sale. Next big sale weekend will probably be Labor Day. Last year several sites had 20% off and free shipping.

I think I will do that. The stuff is 100% worth it.

mnewxcv

Established Member
are your wheels suppose to bleed like that?!?! might have to pick some of this stuff up, my brake dust is roughly 12 years old and not coming off easy.

T-Bolt

Established Member
are your wheels suppose to bleed like that?!?! might have to pick some of this stuff up, my brake dust is roughly 12 years old and not coming off easy.

Take the wheels off and use some elbow grease. Word of warning though; if you leave it on for more than 10 minutes it loses its effectiveness. It will not harm your wheel, but it won't clean as well. If the Sonax doesn't do it, pick up some P21S and let it sit overnight on there. P21S isn't as good in the short term, but the longer you let it sit, the better it gets.

mnewxcv

Established Member
is p21s the best thing on the market? I definitely need a good wheel cleaner, ive tried regular car wash soap mixed with warm water and a wheel brush, and on the inside of the wheel, got almost no results.

T-Bolt

Established Member
is p21s the best thing on the market? I definitely need a good wheel cleaner, ive tried regular car wash soap mixed with warm water and a wheel brush, and on the inside of the wheel, got almost no results.

The Sonax is stronger for sure. Try it, and don't go past the 10 minute mark (stay around 6-8 minutes), or it won't pull the grime off (it is non-acidic, so if you go too long, it will not damage the wheel).

If it doesn't work, then go to P21S and let it sit overnight. They are formulated differently. The shop that I bought it from has all but stopped using P21S for Sonax. I think the Sonax will definitely do the trick for you.

Users who are viewing this thread