Sorta bought myself a new toy -FERRIS-

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
My Ferris Z2 52" deck standing rider.
I wanted to try something new, as I bought a SCAG zero turn for my shop last year.
It (sit down zero turn) really beats up your back. Its a weird sensation standing and having the blades in front of you, but allows for better cutting in tight spots. It has a Kawasaki motor, so it should last for awhile!

Attachments

• ferris.jpg
    ferris.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 126
  • Ferris2.jpg
    Ferris2.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 108

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
Initial mow was great and was extremely happy. The shock system makes for a smooth and comfortable ride.
My lot is just under a few acres, only about 1/4 of it is grass so it makes for a quick mow.
May take it to my shop and try it there too, which is much larger.
This will help give a better comparison.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Nice! That looks like a serious mower. That's better than the stand-up mowers my lawn service crew uses.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I would love to hear your impressions using it on a hill with a moderate incline!

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
We've got two Skag's in the family and both have excellent seat comfort with the adjustable air seat.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
I imagine that was a pricey new toy. I just looked at some prices yesterday and the 60” ZT I was looking at was $1,800 more than the exact same model in 2019.

Stand ups mow pretty fast don’t they?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I had to move to Carlisle AT101 traction tires on the ZT to deal with my hilly property.

What kind of hills are you talking about? What degree of incline if you had to guess?

andymarkv

Established Member
What kind of hills are you talking about? What degree of incline if you had to guess?
My whole property is basically side hill. If I had to guess, the steepest parts are 20-25°? They're steep enough if you stop the machine facing down hill, you can't back up, even with the Carlisle AT101's.(Exmark 60" Lazer Z, 1000lbs)
I was going to get a Steiner for more stability...but I mow 5 acres and wanted more speed.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
My whole property is basically side hill. If I had to guess, the steepest parts are 20-25°? They're steep enough if you stop the machine facing down hill, you can't back up, even with the Carlisle AT101's.(Exmark 60" Lazer Z, 1000lbs)
I was going to get a Steiner for more stability...but I mow 5 acres and wanted more speed.

I'd have to guess that my hill is 30 degrees or so. What are your thoughts? haha

andymarkv

Established Member
I have small sections that are probably 30° in front and behind my house. Its steep enough, if I go straight up, the front tires will unload by the top!
But I can "cross hill" it no problem.
Its doable...but I've had a few pucker moments when I've lost traction(therefore the steering as well) and slid my way down to the bottom.
Never felt like it was going to roll over.
The AT101's helped a ton. The machine would be basically worthless without them on my property.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
I hear you on the zero turn seats, my Spartan is killing my back too, about to drop the $600 on the suspension seat setup.

andymarkv

Established Member
I’m curious, is that like a directional tractor tire?
Yes, but the bars themselves are not as deep and the ends are rounded, unlike the Carlisle "Super Lug" which has the traditional large "Ag" style bar tread.
It is pretty easy to tear up the turf when turning with a ZT, but I'm not a lawn perfectionist...so its not a big deal for me.

andymarkv

Established Member
I hear you on the zero turn seats, my Spartan is killing my back too, about to drop the $600 on the suspension seat setup.
Northern Tool used to have a decent suspension seat for cheap...but I see the price has gone up a bit.

I adapted this suspension base under my factory seat...but I don't recommend it. It only has 1" of travel vs 1.75" of the full suspension seat.
With only 1" of travel, you have to keep the spring tension pretty tight, or you're banging off the bump stops. So it only helps on the REALLY rough stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread