Spark plug change with a 3.4 whipple crusher

03 Cobra DSG

Established Member
Just seeing if anyone has swapped plugs with a whipple 3.4 crusher, hopefully don’t have to remove the blower to swap plugs. Anyone have insight or tips?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Blown38

Established Member
I remove the throttle body and IAC valve(I think) and use a long wobble extension.

I'll add that this is a Cobra swap on a Marauder without AC.

ShootyMCstabby

Brownie Hound.
Established Member
I changed out mine a couple months back. Did as blown38 said. I also remove charge/intake tube. I used a 9", 6", 3" strait extension and a elbow, on a long socket.

1 of the spark plugs I had to use a mickey D's straw with a string looped through it to grab the plug and pull it out. After it was loosened. I used a long socket though as I didn't have a spark plug socket.

I do have the crusher as well.

03 Cobra DSG

Established Member
Ok thanks gents, I was hoping it was possible without removing the blower, I’ll be doing this next week before the dyno, sounds like a PITA thanks for the tips.

ShootyMCstabby

Brownie Hound.
Established Member
Naw not really a pita. Probably took 35-45 minutes my first try. Could get it down to 25-30 minutes.

I too thought I had to remove the blower. That would have been a PITA.

ctgreddy

Established Member
A lot of the vmp gang I've seen claim you have to pull the blower. However I can change my plugs in the same time, or probably even less, as the guys who have a removable plenum.

Like said above, remove throttle body, cai, and iac. 10" extension with a swivel plug socket. Easy as pie. Like everything tho, having the right tools makes it easier.

03 Cobra DSG

Established Member
Was able to change the plugs, just had to remove the intake. I was able to keep the throttle body on and still get them done. Got the car back from the tuner and made 713 rwhp!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Blower stays. I usually just pull the intake pipe, leave TB etc. in place. Once you have the swivel socket combo down for each plug it goes relatively fast.

Blown38

Established Member
BR7EF here too. Tried a B8EF but the non resistor plug messed with the computer.

Tried the 8s when we went to E85 cause I couldn't find much info at the time. And I luckily came across a thread on mod fords talking about the interference from the non resistor plugs. What the car did was on the dyno when they were holding the rpm to get a tach signal the computer would command 1.25 lambda. If you just hit it it was fine.

But the BR7EF are working great on E85 at 25psi and about 750rwhp.

03 Cobra DSG

Established Member
I’ve been running the BR7EF for only a few hundred miles but no issues, they’re gapped at 0.28 and I’m running 19lbs on pump gas and made 713rwhp

MG0h3

Established Member
Any of you guys go over the 11ftlbs?

Just did my plugs and that seemed awful loose to me.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
Any of you guys go over the 11ftlbs?

Just did my plugs and that seemed awful loose to me.

I've never used a torque wrench. always done snugged tight and never had any issues

cj428mach

Established Member
Do you change them every year or confirm they are tight occasionally? I’d just worry they’d loosen up and tear the threads out.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

I've changed my plugs tons of times lol for only having 13,000 miles on the car. Yes it seems stupid but 11ft lbs seems loose when you tighten them but later on when I go to break them loose it takes a surprising amount of effort. I also use a dab of antiseize on the threads.

When I torque them down I use my inch pound wrench cranked up as I feel this is way more accurate than my ft/lb wrench turned down to almost nothing.

03 Cobra DSG

Established Member
Unrelated but I have a whipple 3.75 pulley 115 shipped if anyone is interested made to much boost had to switch to a 4.00

Users who are viewing this thread