Spark Plug Coil - How Do you Release the Connector?

Race Red Boss

Established Member
Thought I'd start on replacing my plugs but couldn't get the clip free from the coil pack. I release the red clip from the connector, but the connector still won't come off the coil pack.

What am I doing wrong?

Race Red Boss

Established Member
Figured it out. Once you slide/push the red clip up, you then need a small screw driver (pocket size), to get under the the raised area at the base of the connector and lift up to fully release the connector.

Here's a pic. The red tab (circled) needs to be pulled upwards (already done in the pic), then Insert small flat head screw driver where arrow points and press up/down. Connector should then slide upwards and off as you pull it off.

The spark plug closest to the firewall on the passenger side is a bit tricky getting out/in as the battery is right there. I used a six inch socket extention with a swivel connector on the rachet end to get it out.

The plugs came out pretty easily with the exception of the plug closest to the firewall on the drivers side. Got it out with a little leverage help (metal pipe slid over the end of the ratchet handle). :)

The old plugs (just over 40K miles on them) didn't look overly bad.

Pretty easy job. Save yourself some $$ and do it yourself.

Attachments

• coil pack Screenshot 2022-05-16 193122.jpg
    coil pack Screenshot 2022-05-16 193122.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread