Spark Plug Install Advice (First Time)

Cobra_Kid

Established Member
Ok,

I'm going to change my spark plugs out for the first time (don't laugh). I'm going to go with NGK's (.052 gap right?). Anyway, I'm a bit freaked out by all of the stripping stories so I wanted some advise on the best process.

Step 1: PB blaster or some other penetrating oil on stock (26k mile) plugs. Wait overnight. Car engine is cold this whole time.
Step 2: Soak up any remaining oil and Carefully remove stock plugs - make sure burn color is good on all plugs. Make special note of coil wires location etcetera.
Step 3: Gap NGK's, put on a Very Small amount of anti-seize and CAREFULLY install new plugs with socket wrench AFTER hand treading plugs into whole.
Step 4: Torque to 7-14 ft. lbs?
Step 5: Replace coil plugs - add a little anti boot seize to them as well?

Ok - sounds simple enough, but I know some much better car guys them me has stripped plugs in their Cobras and I DON'T want that to be me.

ANY opinions would be appreciated! Thanks SVT friends - Troy

Red98CobraStang

Got Torque?
Established Member
Sounds spot on. If the plugs feel tight coming out, try the "tighten then loosen" method. While loosening the plug, if it gets hard to turn, snug the plug up, then try loosening it again. keep doing this until the plug comes out.

I like to torque my plugs to 12 ft/lbs. Remember, patience is your friend.

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
I think if you do it like you listed you should not have any troubles.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread