Spark Plug Removal

Race Red Boss

Established Member
Anyone had issues when trying to remove the plugs from their 5.4L motor? Had seen some YouTubes about issues with the 5.4L 3V plug removval issues....not sure it applies to the 4V motors.

Islandcat

Established Member
I have done it quite a few times and never had a problem. It’s very easy to do too. I think that spark plug problem was just for certain year 3v that had those bad spark plugs that would break apart

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Anyone had issues when trying to remove the plugs from their 5.4L motor? Had seen some YouTubes about issues with the 5.4L 3V plug removval issues....not sure it applies to the 4V motors.

Plugs in 3Vs are very different design, got lucky with my 5.4 3V with 100k plugs didn't break any. Anyway, DOHC heads use your standard 9 thread plugs like the rest of the DOHC mods. 3V looks like this:
31OROQzEHsL._AC_.jpg

They like to snap the bottom part off and leave it seized in the head... fun times.
Shouldn't be any harder than any other plug swap. Have at it.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
These are the two best tools I have found to do a 5.4 DOHC plug change......

020.jpg

021.jpg

^^^^^^and the deep socket has a plastic coated magnet inside and is captured and swivels on the end of the long extension. The ratchet works nicely at odd angles in the T.B. and firewall areas also.

No more fighting with sockets and extensions coming apart, Black tape to hold them together, etc., etc.....

R

jenkins_1120

Established Member
These are the two best tools I have found to do a 5.4 DOHC plug change......

View attachment 1649306
View attachment 1649307

^^^^^^and the deep socket has a plastic coated magnet inside and is captured and swivels on the end of the long extension. The ratchet works nicely at odd angles in the T.B. and firewall areas also.

No more fighting with sockets and extensions coming apart, Black tape to hold them together, etc., etc.....

R

I had no clue those sockets existed. I just ordered a set. thanks for posting

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
I had no clue those sockets existed. I just ordered a set. thanks for posting

Can get them at Vatozone too a la Duralast. Not bad quality honesty. There are two sizes though...iirc my 3v and 4v are different. ThAnKs FoRd

PM-Performance

Established Member
There are all kinds of cool tools you can use, but honestly these are not bad at all to do with a basic ratchet and long extension.
I have had MUCH harder cars to do. I can do plugs in like 10 mins if I really was in a rush. Much easier also if you take the intake tube off.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
There are all kinds of cool tools you can use, but honestly these are not bad at all to do with a basic ratchet and long extension.
I have had MUCH harder cars to do. I can do plugs in like 10 mins if I really was in a rush. Much easier also if you take the intake tube off.

Don't ruin my fun. I NEEEED to buy cool new tools to do it I swear. Can't do anything without buying a cool new tool for it first.

PM-Performance

Established Member
Don't ruin my fun. I NEEEED to buy cool new tools to do it I swear. Can't do anything without buying a cool new tool for it first.
lol. Have at it man. Lots of specialty tools you can buy. I am too poor for those single use tools though, so I try to use what I have.
Honestly though, these motors are cake to do. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread