Spark plug well gasket question

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
Hi guys - I’m replacing the spark plug well gaskets while I have the cam covers off my DOHC 4.6 in my wife’s 2005 Aviator. These are the little donut-looking gaskets that seal the cam cover to the head in the spark plug well.

Mine have been letting oil weep into the wells, so while I’m doing the timing chain/tensioner/guide job I figured why not do these and the cam cover gaskets too.

So my question is - should I use a small amount of black RTV on these plug well gaskets to help them seal better? I’m thinking NO, but figured some of you have been down this road before.

Thanks

Ron

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
if you're using new gaskets, i would just do what the factory service manual says to do.

Thanks but I don’t have a service manual. :) I’m just looking for some first hand experience. The originals were not sealed, but they ended up failing and leaking, so I’m curious if a very small amount of RTV might be a good idea.

The more I think about it I say no sealer...but any input would be appreciated, as I’m buttoning up this motor later today.

Last edited:

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
You're not supposed to need any kind of RTV. But I used it on both sides last time I replaced those grommets. I put some between the valve cover and grommet to make sure it wouldn't fall off while trying to get the valve cover in place. And I put some between the grommet and head because I wanted to make sure I didn't have to do the job again any time soon.

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
You're not supposed to need any kind of RTV. But I used it on both sides last time I replaced those grommets. I put some between the valve cover and grommet to make sure it wouldn't fall off while trying to get the valve cover in place. And I put some between the grommet and head because I wanted to make sure I didn't have to do the job again any time soon.

Thanks slo - how long ago / how many miles since you did that? Everything still ok?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
the last time I swapped valve covers I did not use any rtv on those donuts and didnt have any problems. Like any gasket time does them in. I didn't feel like I needed any to hold them in place but I also had the motors out of the car already

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
Thanks but I don’t have a service manual. :) I’m just looking for some first hand experience. The originals were not sealed, but they ended up failing and leaking, so I’m curious if a very small amount of RTV might be a good idea.

The more I think about it I say no sealer...but any input would be appreciated, as I’m buttoning up this motor later today.

The service manual has been downloadable for years, in both PDF and the actual program from Ford - easily found with a Google search: SVT Documents

Also, those “gaskets” and the bolt head get sealant. You can see them in my build thread (also in sig): Aluminator Gibtec Build

Users who are viewing this thread