Sparkplug Blew Out of Head

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
So I went through the drive through to get a burger and when pulling back onto the road I heard a noise, the engine was running rough. Pulled directly off the road and shut the engine off. Opened the hood and saw the sparkplug cover pushed away from the engine and noticed a plug at an angle with the wire off.

Just dropped it off at the dealer.

Anyone else seen this on a 2013_14 GT500?

Engine is stock, never tuned or anything.

Last edited:

Imatk

Established Member
Have the plugs been changed? Sounds like someone cross-threaded a plug and it popped out. I've seen it happen before.

They'll have to either sleeve the plug or replace the head if that's the case.

Clemson

Established Member
This was a big issue with the mustang gt's and F150s back in 2v romeo days.....havent not heard about it on these cars before though.

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
Is there much risk of metal debris getting inside the engine? I'm worried a fix might overlook something caused by debris.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
curious to know if ford will replace the cylinder head under warranty, or whether they will attempt to repair it.

ford authorizes the use of "lock-n-stitch" repair kits for out-of-warranty vehicles.

this is a fairly common problem with the modular ford aluminum heads. over-the-fender repair always runs the risk of debris remaining in the chamber, but success rates utilizing this system are very high, with no adverse effects.

paluka21

Established Member
OP- Any ticking/tapping noise or symptoms prior to his happening? I've been dealing with an intermittent tapping sound in my car for over a year now, and the dealer doesn't want to touch it, and therefore told me that it's "normal".
Going to pull the coil cover in the next few days to check the tightness of the plugs/wires now that this has happened to your car.

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
No prior noises here, seems like a factory plug install issue perhaps or flaw in the aluminum where it threads.

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
If it is still under warranty,I would assume ,(yea I know ) if the dealer does a repair , and it dies down the road , still under warranty

RedZR

Established Member
I thought this was an issue with other 5.4s, especially diesels. It happened to a co-worker of mine. I think Ford has a special procedure to handle this so its fairly common place.

Good luck!
Dan

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
Well Ford is sending a new head to the dealer. They said on this engine head has to be replaced, no other fixes.

Eatonualive281

Established Member
That's very very strange. I've never heard of this happening on a dohc head with 9 threads per plug hole. The early cars had issues due to ford designing the heads with only 4 threads per cylinder. It happened to me and it sucked. But a newer gt500... wow. Glad to hear they are fixing it op.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
This is one of the few cases I have heard of with any of the GT500s, My 04 cobra has a time sert in the #4 hole. It seems to be ok but I'm not happy about it. It's good that Ford is replacing the head.

Breitling

Established Member
Good to hear you're getting a new head to fix it properly.

Let us know if you hear any feedback from the dealer on a possible cause. I'm very curious. Thanks.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
*flashes back to the sht show with my '99 GT*

Sucks this happened, but great that you're getting a new head.

I tried a time sert on my 2V and it last 2 weeks. Replaced the cylinder head that winter. Big learning project, but still a PITA.

Users who are viewing this thread