• Welcome to SVTPerformance!
ATTENTION!
You may experience intermittent issues while accessing the site over the next 60-90 minutes, as we perform maintenance and upgrades.

Speaker Help and Suggestions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Interior and Exterior Body & Chassis' started by mustang196718, Apr 6, 2006.

1. mustang196718

mustang196718 Snake#796,The Rice Killer Established Member

Hey guys, I'm thinking about putting some aftermarket speakers in my 03 cobra, particularly a set of Polk Audios. I need to know which speaker will fit where and if there will need to be any kind of weird issues that I need to know about. If someone could check out each of these and tell me whether they will fit, and if so, where.
    Polk DB570
    Polk DB690
    Thanks a ton,
    Mike

2. nu snake

nu snake New Member Established Member

Speaker Selection

I used the Polk MOMO speakers, MMC 6500 (component 6.5" round) and the MMC 650 (non component version for rear). No installation problems of great note, but that's because I had Tweeter do it. I also did an Alpine 9851 (at least I think that's the number), a JBL amp, and a Rockford Sub Amp (with Polk 10" sub). Sounds so much better than the Mach, especially when you crank it up. Mounted the amps on the back of the rear seat to keep out of the way. Works nice, especially with XM.

I think you'll like to Polks, just need to rip out the Mach system completely though, can't just do part of the job (I looked at that, but too much problem with the interface of Mach and anything aftermarket).

3. Matt M PA

Matt M PA New Member Established Member

nu snake's got it right. When I had my '02 GT, I tried to just swap out the speakers. I had good experience in the past with this kind of an upgrade.

Anyhow...I don't remember where I heard it, but the Ford factory system uses some odd impedence that aftermarket speakers do not. After installing the aftermarket speakers, I foun d it did not help the sound at all.

The best bang for the buck I have seen is my friend's install of a sub with thr existing Mach system. Search on Rocketman461.

4. mustang196718

mustang196718 Snake#796,The Rice Killer Established Member

Okay, cool guys, thanks for the input, gives me an idea of what i'm gonna need to do.

5. coolcobramatt

coolcobramatt Mystified and terminated Established Member

I have Focal Utopias (7" mid) in my front door and it fits no problemo. Thinking of selling them if your interested in a true audiophile set of seperates.

6. flyn high again

flyn high again You are getting sleepy... Established Member

Why are you selling them and how much do you want? PM me if you don't want to mention a price here.

I am currently running a Sony head unit, Bazooka tube sub, Kenwood amp, and stock speakers and rear amps. You CAN mix parts with the Mach 460 but it's a pain in the you know what. Best solution is to rip out the 460 and start over with quality components.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2006