Spec’ing a ‘21 Expedition Max: Tow Package or eLSD?

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
Trying to spec out 2021 Expedition Max and I’ve run across two options that can’t be selected together:

Heavy Duty Tailer Tow Package ($795)
ControlTrac with eLSD ($1100)

Can someone fill me in on why to go with one over another? I don’t currently tow much outside of the occasional open top trailer to pick up an appliance or make a dump run. But I’d like the option in case we decide to buy a camping trailer down the road.

What advantage would the ControlTrac with eLSD provide over the towing package?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Living in Florida, I wouldn't bother with the Limited Slip Differential. It's not like you're going to be driving in mud, snow, or ice very often...if ever.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
I'd rather have the towing package. IIRK, the eLSD is just a name for traction control, and not a physical LSD.

I believe Eaton calls it the Intellitrac E-LSD(Ford calls it Controltrac ELSD) and its an electronic/hydraulic unit with 3 modes - open, LSD and locker. Its completely different than the F150 unit though as it has a hydraulic pump under the rear of the truck.

IntelliTrac electronic limited slip differential

Page 3 shows in 2017 the Intellitrac being available as a first on Ford's Expedition and Navigator.
https://www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/public/@pub/@eaton/@vehicle/documents/content/pct_1087652.pdf

FWIW, i believe both the Max Tow Package and the E-LSD Package have the Eaton Intellitrac E-LSD but one is entirely controlled by the 4wd module while the other is manually selectable. The Max Tow Package gives you the 2 speed automatic transfer case which then takes over the selectable ELSD unit in back in lieu of the 4 button console.

Last edited:

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
if im not mistaken, this is not a true mechanical limited slip. Its effectively an open diff that the ECU applies the brakes to one side to "simulate" limited slip action.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I'd rather have the towing package. IIRK, the eLSD is just a name for traction control, and not a physical LSD.

edit: treed with the correct info apparently but I'll leave it up anyway.

this. I have the e locker in my f150, granted my truck is a 2012 and they may have improved things but when its unlocked it sucks, its just an open diff. My understanding was that the computer would basically tap the brake of the spinning wheel to send power to both rear wheels and act like a limited slip but again, doesnt seem to work for shit on mine. Turning right from a stop, especially in the rain, it just spins the inside tire when trying to merge into traffic.

A mechanical limited slip and tow package would be more useful

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I believe Eaton calls it the Intellitrac E-LSD(Ford calls it Controltrac ELSD) and its an electronic/hydraulic unit with 3 modes - open, LSD and locker. Its completely different than the F150 unit though as it has a hydraulic pump under the rear of the truck.

IntelliTrac electronic limited slip differential

Page 3 shows in 2017 the Intellitrac being available as a first on Ford's Expedition and Navigator.
https://www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/public/@pub/@eaton/@vehicle/documents/content/pct_1087652.pdf
FWIW, i believe both the Max Tow Package and the E-LSD Package have the Eaton Intellitrac E-LSD but one is entirely controlled by the 4wd module while the other is manually selectable. The Max Tow Package gives you the 2 speed automatic transfer case which then takes over the selectable ELSD unit in back in lieu of the 4 button console.

Interesting. Thanks for the info. Ford is doing a terrible job of marketing that if that's what they are using.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Interesting. Thanks for the info. Ford is doing a terrible job of marketing that if that's what they are using.

Totally agree. Took me a while but i finally found this....

https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten.../pdf/guides/21Towing_Ford_Expedition_Dec3.pdf

and under the axle code section, showing only (1) axle code for the E-LSD and 3.73 gear set which happens to be used on the E-LSD package and Max Tow Package.

The biggest things to want in that Max Tow Package are the much larger radiator and 2 speed transfer case. The E-LSD comes in both packages.

Its also funny that the tow package offers more yet is cheaper on the build guide???

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Totally agree. Took me a while but i finally found this....

https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten.../pdf/guides/21Towing_Ford_Expedition_Dec3.pdf

and under the axle code section, showing only (1) axle code for the E-LSD and 3.73 gear set which happens to be used on the E-LSD package and Max Tow Package.

The biggest things to want in that Max Tow Package are the much larger radiator and 2 speed transfer case. The E-LSD comes in both packages.

Its also funny that the tow package offers more yet is cheaper on the build guide???

The E-LSD does not come in the Heavy Duty Tow Package.

upload_2021-3-25_8-44-21.png

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
So am I correct in interpreting that the best options for normal usages are:

Max Towing:
-Trailer/camper towing
-Neutral towing behind class-A

eLSD:
-Driving in slippery conditions (snow, mud, rain, sand, etc)

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member

Max Towing:
-Trailer/camper towing

eLSD:

Does the tow package not had a mechanical limited slip diff?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

Max Towing:
-Trailer/camper towing

eLSD:

Yes.

Users who are viewing this thread