spec stage 3 review?

2004mach1black

Established Member
Im thinking about getting a spec stage 3 just wanted to know how streetable this clutch is ive heard its good and bad just seeinwhat everyone thought thanks

my98stang46

Established Member
I HATED the one that was in my car. Felt more like I was stretching the clutch cable than moving the pp diaphragm. Stop and go traffic will make your leg sore. I'm not a puss I just ENJOY driving my car and dont think having to work so hard to do something when options are available that make life so much easier. Since you didn't ask for recommendations I'll leave it at that.

Tunedprt91

Established Member
What do you recommend? I have the same clutch in my car and what you just stated is exactly how I feel. Im looking into other clutches but I need it to hold alot of trq.

SVECobraR

Established Member
If you need that aggressive of a clutch to hold the torque then you should just keep the clutch, if your happy with it besides the pedal pressure, and get Mcleods hydraulic system upgrade. It's a great upgrade.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
I agree with STAMPEDE3 the 2+ is in lots of cars with over 500RW and can handle the abuse nicely with a soft pedal effort!

my98stang46

Established Member
What do you recommend? I have the same clutch in my car and what you just stated is exactly how I feel. Im looking into other clutches but I need it to hold alot of trq.

I have the McLeod RST in mine. Clutch pedal is smooth and pedal effort is less than stock. It's pricey but very much worth it after you drive it for the first time. Makes the car far more enjoyable to drive.

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
Don't get a clutch based on their "claimed" hp level. Go by what the disk is made of. PP's for the most part are all the same. Meaning they roughly have the same clamping force and besides majority of them are made by Valeo anyways.

Clutch disks can be made with:

Organic (OEM material)
Kevlar
Semi-metallic
Carbon
Sintered Iron

Full face disks are easier on the street. Pucks are more of a on/off engagement. Spec stage 3 is a puck design and their 3+ is a full face but is made of carbon. Still it still has a little chatter. Go with a stage2 or 2+ and I think you'll be happy. Or whatever brand you want as long as the disk is made of kevlar. Just realize that if you want something to hold a lot of power its going to chatter. Gotta give a little to gain a little.

-Mark

Last edited:

ijt351

Established Member
Well I have a fox with spec stage 3. freakin love it, with stock ford cable the pedal effort is same or less than stock feel. for the first 1000 miles or so it was a little touchy grabby but with 3.73 it was no problem. It does not have the marcel spring between that is why it is grabby not as much that it is not full face. I would blow thru a centerforce, 550rwhp but pull front end up no prob with spec st3 and never miss a gear because it is fully disengaged by half pedal.

my98stang46

Established Member
Well I have a fox with spec stage 3. freakin love it, with stock ford cable the pedal effort is same or less than stock feel...

Your either high or never pushed a pedal with a stock clutch...my wife drove my car with the stock clutch then with the spec 3 she can't even push the pedal down. It's no where near stock feel. Not close, not in the same ball park, not even playing the same game. I dreaded stop lights with the spec but now with the twin disc it's like pushing the clutch in a Honda

xXAzureMach1Xx

Established Member
I have the spec 3+ and I like it. It's been so long since I have drove a stock clutch but the 3+ isn't bad. I got it used with my t56 and it came from a 700hp turbo car and he never had a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread