Speedcal issues

96dreamer

Established Member
I was running an extended range speed call in my 96 cobra which has a 2003 cobra t56 in it. Driving down the interstate the speedo and trip suddenly stopped working. It had been working fine for several thousand miles before this. I double and triple checked the wiring to the speedcal. Ran a direct 12v to the battery to eliminate any power wiring issues and still never was able to get a speed to show up. Disconnecting the speedcal and running the stock set up produced speeds about 4x more than the correct speeds which is what a properly working vss would produce in this setup.

Has anyone experienced this issue before? Do these things often just randomly quit working, I am assuming there is no fix for this and I will have to buy a new one.

Brandnelson

Established Member
My speedcal randomly quit on me twice now. Disconnecting the battery and reconnecting brought it back both times.

96dreamer

Established Member
Yeah i've tried that twice now, maybe the third time will be the charm. I have it completely out of the car currently

96dreamer

Established Member
Well I emailed Dallas mustang explained my issues. They agreed the unit was probably shot and also said these usually only last 3-6 years which seems like some bullshit in my opinion. Looks like I will be ordering a new one today. Hopefully im not throwing $120 out the door.

MysticChaos

Established Member
Well I emailed Dallas mustang explained my issues. They agreed the unit was probably shot and also said these usually only last 3-6 years which seems like some bullshit in my opinion. Looks like I will be ordering a new one today. Hopefully im not throwing $120 out the door.
I Went through the same issues a few months ago and got the same response from DM. I was skeptical too, but they were right. I swapped in the replacement and everything worked again. I do agree it's bs that they aren't built to last though.

96dreamer

Established Member
Cobra is getting some love today, dropped over $300 on ac components and the speed cal. I've been neglecting her since i got my Cherokee a few months ago. Hopefully a new ac compressor/dryer/orifice tube and the speedcal will make it more enjoyable to drive here soon. Should feel fast again after driving a lifted Cherokee for a few weeks.

Balt21

Established Member
Interesting read as I have been thinking about picking one up. I wish these cars worked with a handheld tuner for gear ratio/tire changes. Funny that they only last 3-6 years and they are intended for cars 19+ years old. I get it though, electronics are electronics and they break after continued use.

96dreamer

Established Member
I got the new speedcal installed this weekend. It seemed to work on jack stands haven't had it on the road yet though. I took the new one apart and put some foam tape between the circuit board and the box to hopefully isolate it from vibration a little bit. I also put foam insulation tape between the box and trans tunnel for the same purpose. hopefully this one lasts a bit longer.

Bishop03

4v+DOHC=Big Power
Established Member
Good timing on your thread, same exact issue happen to me at the end of last year. Same set up. Before ordering another I will be looking for a cold solder joint, electronics like this and jarring lead to such things.

96dreamer

Established Member
Well almost exactly two years later another box is dead. This is starting to get pretty old. Just finished a 3 hours round trip drive using my phone as a speedo the whole time.

96dreamer

Established Member
Wish that was still an option for me. I'm running a t56 so I have no choice but to run the speedcal.

96dreamer

Established Member
In an email directly from a Dallas mustang rep he said they last between 3-6 on average. My first one lasted 5 years and this one I bought 2 years ago almost to the day. They carry a 1 year warranty but I am trying to get them to at least give me a price break. This is a garage kept car the hardly gets driven. I bet I had less than 3k on this box and maybe 5k on the first one.

96dreamer

Established Member

96dreamer

Established Member
Well it looks like Dallas Mustang is coming through. I just had a rep email me saying they would replace my current unit free of charge and include a return label to send the bad one back. If this happens again in the future I still may be tempted to switch to the Dakota Digital product because swapping this out every few years is going to get pretty old. But in the mean time I have to commend their customer service on this one.

Edit: Also for anyone that comes across this Dakota Digital tech support got back to me confirming that the SGI-5E will work in this application with no issues. It would just require some fine tuning once wired up to dial it in exactly.

Last edited:

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
Anyone have any issues with electrical draw from the car when parked? Mine cant seem to keep a charge for at most a week. The only major change I did to the electrical system since this issue started was the Speed cal. Maybe the FRPP one is better.

Users who are viewing this thread