spider webbing

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
Hello,

Working on a black mustang, spent a ton of time correcting massive spider webbing and scratches. Used m105 mostly with the orange pad, then hit it again with m205 black pad all done with a porter cable. Did all this in a garage and it looked great under the halogen light, awesome reflection from multiple angles just like a mirror. Used an LED to inspect for fine scratches. Pulled it out in the sun and I swear there are still some light spider webbing issues. Not enough I can pick it up on camera or that you can see from far away, but when looking for it I can see it.

Hit it again with some polish and still didn't take care of it. Really annoyed at it to be honest, second time I have done this car as it is a daily driver and looks like crap every time I get it back. I just want it to be perfect in all light as I spent some serious time on just the hood and its not making me happy. Maybe my speed it too high, but with this car I tend to have better results with higher speed/more pressure. Maybe I need a new product but since this car gets such a yearly beating the M105's cutting power seems necessary as nothing else tends to do the job.

NastyGT500

Naples Premier Detailer!
Established Member
What speed on the PC are you using? You could also try some P085RD Mezerna for the final jewling/polishing after the m205 with a black/blue/red pad---whatever pads you are using the softest one.

TransAxle

Shine Auto Salon
Established Member
Hello,

Working on a black mustang, spent a ton of time correcting massive spider webbing and scratches. Used m105 mostly with the orange pad, then hit it again with m205 black pad all done with a porter cable. Did all this in a garage and it looked great under the halogen light, awesome reflection from multiple angles just like a mirror. Used an LED to inspect for fine scratches. Pulled it out in the sun and I swear there are still some light spider webbing issues. Not enough I can pick it up on camera or that you can see from far away, but when looking for it I can see it.

Hit it again with some polish and still didn't take care of it. Really annoyed at it to be honest, second time I have done this car as it is a daily driver and looks like crap every time I get it back. I just want it to be perfect in all light as I spent some serious time on just the hood and its not making me happy. Maybe my speed it too high, but with this car I tend to have better results with higher speed/more pressure. Maybe I need a new product but since this car gets such a yearly beating the M105's cutting power seems necessary as nothing else tends to do the job.

Dont worry, its the M205. Even though a lot of people believe it finishes down great, it does not. It can, but more times, you will still leave just the faintest amount of Micro Marring, which is probably what you are seeing. But in your case, your leaving a severe case of it. You can try, if you have a LC Black pad, is to repolish the paint at speed 4 on your PC with the black pad and 205 with very little pressure and work it in slowly to reduce your micro marring.

Seeing as how I hate M205, I would do as Nasty recommended and go to a better final polish like PO85RD. I use this product a lot and is almost always my final polish product.

Side note. One thing I would like to know, are the scratches you are referring to that remain, are they really faint in straight lines that you only catch them with the right angle of light?

Last edited:

zaxjax

The Detailed Image
Established Member
M105 - yellow pad
M205 white
M205 - blue or green to jewel

If you have any other finishing polishes, I would try those. M105 and M205 don't do well in the hot humid weather we are having in MD.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
Hey guys, never got the car perfect but my dad was happy, I told him I will give it a better shot once I get some new pads. Mine are about at the end of their cycle. The m105 was great at removing the bad stuff, used a combo of orange and yellow pad at speed 5 or 6 depending on how pad the area was. Used the m205 with the black pad at around speed 4 first then moved down to a green pad at speed 2 really light pressure. Then I applied some menzerna polish. I just need to get some better stuff to get that micro marring crap out.

Trans Axle. yeah the scratches are at different angles/ light real faint but they are there. Car looks good at the 3 foot mark, most people would never notice it but I am a perfectionist.

Therefore, since I need new pads and gotta place an order what other supplies do you guys recommend? I am low on about all my polish stuff, M105 I will likely replace with the same, but sounds like the 205 is not something I want to buy again so I want to replace. I haven't purchased anything in two years so maybe some new stuff has come out that is appealing.

Sooo... maybe its time to try all new stuff, what do you guys suggest. Thanks fellas

TransAxle

Shine Auto Salon
Established Member
Towel scratches. Sounds like you need to get new or better microfibers. But glad to hear it still came out well. Hopefully you are not using autozone or advance or random store bought microfibers as they are shitty and do not really last long. Look into different selection towels from autogeek or if lethal sales mocrofibers. Also make sure to never wash your towels with cottons as that rids them of there softness much faster.

TransAxle

Shine Auto Salon
Established Member
Not finishing final stage down good enough on black. Black pad,205 and pc with finsh down perfect if flashed correctly.

The problem he is having is not in the product. From what he is describing the scratches he is seeing, are towel scratches. They are faint and can be seen in just the right line moving in straight lines rather than in a circle like regular scratches/swirls.

mixxer

Established Member
Being a detailer you should know that Scratches are rarely in a circle pattern it just appears to look that way to do light reflection. Very rare that towels are the problem. 99% of the time its process. I would bet an alcohol wipe down would reveal a process.

Last edited:

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
it may be a combination of my process and the towels, that I am not sure of. I assume though it it is more the process. I am screwing up somewhere I am sure, ordering new pads and towels will also rule that issue out. Maybe I am using too much or not enough pressure, though at this point I tried combos of everything to make it work. And the faint scratches are in a circular pattern as far as I could tell. Biggest issue was under the lights of my garage it looked perfect in all angles, it was the sunlight that it had some issues in different light sources.

I can take credit when its my fault and I am sure I am not doing something right. Black cars are the hardest to master hence I am no master yet lol.

mixxer

Established Member
A popular misconception is that because swirl marks always appear in circular patterns, they must therefore have been caused by scrubbing the paint in a circular fashion. This is not true. The reason why swirl marks appear to be circular when viewed in the sun, or under any other form of point source lighting for that matter, is that the sharp edges of the fine scratches present in the paint are catching and reflecting light radiated outward in all directions from a single central point. If you look at the same surface under a highly diffuse source of lighting, you will actually discover that the fine scratches are running randomly in all directions; they just appear to be circular when viewed under any form of point source lighting for the reason given above.

TransAxle

Shine Auto Salon
Established Member
Being a detailer you should know that Scratches are rarely in a circle pattern it just appears to look that way to do light reflection. Very rare that towels are the problem. 99% of the time its process. I would bet an alcohol wipe down would reveal a process.

I know the part about the scratches. Thats why I always say scratches/swirls. But from what he is describing, it sounds more like faint towel marring. Which can happen if he is using old or cheap microfibers and applying to much pressure as he is wiping.

it may be a combination of my process and the towels, that I am not sure of. I assume though it it is more the process. I am screwing up somewhere I am sure, ordering new pads and towels will also rule that issue out. Maybe I am using too much or not enough pressure, though at this point I tried combos of everything to make it work. And the faint scratches are in a circular pattern as far as I could tell. Biggest issue was under the lights of my garage it looked perfect in all angles, it was the sunlight that it had some issues in different light sources.

I can take credit when its my fault and I am sure I am not doing something right. Black cars are the hardest to master hence I am no master yet lol.

Is there any way that you could get a picture showing what your issue is. If you rule towels out of the equiation and put it to process. Then its either going to be something as simple as, your just not cutting enough of the scratches/swirls away and what you are seeing are the more isolated deep random scratches that tons of lighter scratches/swirls mask. But if in the sun, your seeing just very very faint scratches that seem to be in the same pattern that you wiped, then I still say its your towels. But in person or picture if you can capture it would help figure it out.

A popular misconception is that because swirl marks always appear in circular patterns, they must therefore have been caused by scrubbing the paint in a circular fashion. This is not true. The reason why swirl marks appear to be circular when viewed in the sun, or under any other form of point source lighting for that matter, is that the sharp edges of the fine scratches present in the paint are catching and reflecting light radiated outward in all directions from a single central point. If you look at the same surface under a highly diffuse source of lighting, you will actually discover that the fine scratches are running randomly in all directions; they just appear to be circular when viewed under any form of point source lighting for the reason given above.

Correct. Thats why vehicles that have been heavly abused if you really look at the scratches correctly you can notice the direction of the scratch. But in general terms when referring to vehicles that have never been done and are in bad shape, its either to say "swirls" as you are giving a broad term to the condition. Now after the swirls have been removed, the lighter scratches/swirls, then you get into RIDS. Random Isolated Deep Scratches. The deeper scratches that require more work to remove that the mass amount of lighter scratches were covering.

BLK93GT

Established Member
As much as I like my rotary for heavy correction the Surbuf pads and M105 work pretty killer. Even the Surbuf with M205 takes a lot out and finishes great.

Users who are viewing this thread