Spring help - fox body notch

jvert

Established Member
Im in the process of making a street/open track car. Plan is to drive it on nice days and do about 4-5 track events a year.

Stats:
1993 notch back mustang
4 cylinder car (for now) v8 soon
Cobra front brakes
95 mustang GT rear end
95 mustang GT rear brakes
New shocks
New struts
I need to know what springs to run on all four corners? I need something that will do well on the street and the track weekends. I know I can't afford coil overs at the moment. Any ideas and tips?

Thanks

wheelhopper

Established Member
KYB will work. Tokicos will work better but not absolutely necessary since you are only occasionally tracking it.

MFE

Established Member
If they're KYB non-adjustables, they won't work for shit on much beyond stock rates. KYB gives the illusion of control by being very stiff in compression, but their resolution sucks and they're just not as good at controlling higher rates as things like Bilstein and Koni are. KYB adjustables are marginally better than non-adjustables.

Frankly, I wouldn't change springs yet. Shocks and struts make a bigger difference to performance at first, so I'd save your coin for really good dampers, such as the Bilsteins or Koni Yellows. They'll work great right now, better than changing springs and keeping the KYB's will, and they'll grow with you as you start changing spring rates and ride heights later on.

wheelhopper

Established Member
If I had to chose between the Konis and the Bilsteins, I would go with the Bilsteins. I have had both and have yet to dial in the Konis to run times as fast as I could with the Bilsteins. Plus, I would rather drive at the track than keep adjusting crap. Messing with tire pressure is about all I want to do when time comes to be at the track and race.

jvert

Established Member
I guess I was looking at springs cause I didn't know how the 4cylinder springs would handle the weight of a v8.

Users who are viewing this thread