Sprint Samsung Moment vs Htc Touch pro2

txyaloo

Established Member
Have any of you been able to teather the TP2 to a laptop and use the verizon wireless phone as a service provider? If so, could you please pass along a good website? Thanks in advance.

Do you want to do it for free? If so, install the HTC Wifi router software, connect to the network it creates, and surf away. If you want to tether with USB, I think you'll need a custom rom for that. Either way, both are violations of your TOS unless you have a tethering plan; so, you risk having your service Terminated if VZW finds out.

I've used the Wifi router software quite a bit when I'm away from home and have yet to have any problems, but I understand the risks.

Shifty Powers

The Shifty Mobile
Established Member
i also want the tp2.. i do alot of texting so the slide out keyboard with message style texting is a plus for me compared to the samsung... but the tp2 seems so much nicer anyways.. im leaning towards it once i feel i should spend that much loot on my new fone.

Drew1204

Established Member
Should have waited for the Nexus One that is supposedly coming out Jan 5th. Its Googles release of an Android phone, and it's the best one yet. 1Ghz processor, 3.7 inch AMOLED screen, full touch screen 5 Megapixel camera w/flash. You can find more about it by googling, or google phandroid forums and search there. This will be my next phone, switching from iPhone 3GS. Please don't get the TP2 with WM. The Nexus One will be 180$ from Tmobile or 530 unlocked.

txyaloo

Established Member
Should have waited for the Nexus One that is supposedly coming out Jan 5th. Its Googles release of an Android phone, and it's the best one yet. 1Ghz processor, 3.7 inch AMOLED screen, full touch screen 5 Megapixel camera w/flash. You can find more about it by googling, or google phandroid forums and search there. This will be my next phone, switching from iPhone 3GS. Please don't get the TP2 with WM. The Nexus One will be 180$ from Tmobile or 530 unlocked.

Some people don't like Android. I am one of them.

If you like the look/feel of Android, WM can accomplish that for free.

earl lee

Established Member
Do you want to do it for free? If so, install the HTC Wifi router software, connect to the network it creates, and surf away. If you want to tether with USB, I think you'll need a custom rom for that. Either way, both are violations of your TOS unless you have a tethering plan; so, you risk having your service Terminated if VZW finds out.

I've used the Wifi router software quite a bit when I'm away from home and have yet to have any problems, but I understand the risks.

You'll only get caught if your doing something stupid like downloading torrents or something.

Regular browser, checking mail, posting on forums wont set an alarm of to big red or the other phone companies.

NEWSVTGUY

Established Member
What carrier are you on? The stock Verizon rom was pretty decent. From what I hear, the stock Sprint and ATT roms were not the greatest.

I still have lockups and strange things happening, but I'm using a "beta" version of Windows Mobile; so, it's expected. With the stock Verizon rom, I rarely had any problems.

I'm with TMobile

roadbratt

i drive the speed limit
Established Member
I recently went from the Touch Pro (WM 6.1) to the Samsung Moment (Android 1.5) and I must say, I enjoy the Android OS much more. I was sick and tired of WM being sluggish and crap.

The only thing I miss from WM that Android currently doesn't offer on the Moment, is the lack of control over the buttons on the phone and the notifications of text/email/etc. The battery life isn't as good either, but I believe I might need to tweak a few things.

Also, the Moment feels like a better quality built phone than the previous HTC phones I had, Mogul and Touch Pro. I've had problems with the slide-out keyboards not functioning, and the buttons on the phone not working correctly after a while. After a bunch of trips to the repair store, I decided to try something new and I am not regretting my decision, at all.

NEWSVTGUY

Established Member
any ideea why mine runs slow slowly? do i need to clear out anything other than my text messages often?

also these roms you guys talk about, do they erease any info in your phone when you load them onto it??

thanks

btw i hate where the enter and delete keys are located on the tp2

txyaloo

Established Member
any ideea why mine runs slow slowly? do i need to clear out anything other than my text messages often?

also these roms you guys talk about, do they erease any info in your phone when you load them onto it??

thanks

btw i hate where the enter and delete keys are located on the tp2

I have over 9000 texts stored. 99% of the time it doesn't run slowly. Sometimes it does take a few seconds to open the messaging app.

Yes, roms erase all of your information. I'm surprised you don't have Microsoft MyPhone installed. It backs your texts, contacts, documents, etc up every night. When you flash a new rom, you just run MyPhone and it imports everything. It's a great, free program.

NEWSVTGUY

Established Member
I have over 9000 texts stored. 99% of the time it doesn't run slowly. Sometimes it does take a few seconds to open the messaging app.

Yes, roms erase all of your information. I'm surprised you don't have Microsoft MyPhone installed. It backs your texts, contacts, documents, etc up every night. When you flash a new rom, you just run MyPhone and it imports everything. It's a great, free program.

Where do you find these free apps and where do you get this Microsoft MyPhone from?

Thanks

:beer:

Shifty Powers

The Shifty Mobile
Established Member
I just got the moment about 2 weeks ago.. so far its pretty kick ass.. soometimes when i talk my face hits the speakerfone.. going to the new fone erased my voicemail account so i gotta redo it.. few little nitpicky things here and there.. otherwise its a great phone. and love it so far.

txyaloo

Established Member
Where do you find these free apps and where do you get this Microsoft MyPhone from?

Thanks

:beer:

[ame=http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98]CDMA TP2 Upgrades - PPCGeeks[/ame]
Touch Pro2, Tilt 2 General - xda-developers
Touch Pro2 CDMA - xda-developers

Do a search on those. Each of them has an application section with lots of apps, themes, etc. Also, MyPhone is a cab you just have to download. It's available in the Windows Marketplace and here:

My Phone

NEWSVTGUY

Established Member
Ok I'm letting my phone do the backup thing w the "MyPhone" so I can keep my info. I see all these ROMs or whatever they are but I know nothing at all about this stuff, I had a razr before my TP2 so that shows you my level of knowledge on this stuff. Is there a website that kind of explains to me about all this stuff? I don't really understand any of that info in those threads you posted.

Thanks again for the help!

txyaloo

Established Member
Ok I'm letting my phone do the backup thing w the "MyPhone" so I can keep my info. I see all these ROMs or whatever they are but I know nothing at all about this stuff, I had a razr before my TP2 so that shows you my level of knowledge on this stuff. Is there a website that kind of explains to me about all this stuff? I don't really understand any of that info in those threads you posted.

Thanks again for the help!

The custom ROMs are updated software for your phone that takes out of a lot of the crap the carrier throws in their stock OS, makes them faster, includes useful programs, and gives you more storage on your phone.

Since you're TMO, you need to run hard-spl on your phone first.

Hard-SPL Unlocker for Rhodium (AT&T Tilt 2) Released! Important Update for new users! - xda-developers

After that, you can start installing ROMS. Since you're on TMO, you need GSM, not CDMA roms.

Here's a step by step, how to guide.

[Resources] Flashing your First GSM Rhodium Rom (For Noobs) - xda-developers

If I'm running a ROM I didn't build myself, it's normally one of the Energy builds such at this.

|R|6.5.3|ROM|WWE| ★ EnergyROM "Phoenix 2" 23518/21889 ★Jan 16★ Sense 2.1/Titanium ★ - xda-developers

Users who are viewing this thread