Spy Shots—2020 Ford Explorer ST Nearly Bares All

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
What a joke. Will it be slower than the Sport version of the Explorer just like the Edge ST vs Edge sport was?

Well I read that the testing of the new Explorer Interceptor netted the fastest Interceptor ever tested. So it is faster than the Charger, Taurus, and Caprice Interceptors which are all pretty fast the way they are optioned.

BRNG ITT

Established Member
478A7591-DF9E-410B-AFBE-D3F60A1BA838.jpeg
74F9CD0D-50E8-41A7-8F6E-1676860B8420.jpeg

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I like it. But it would need at least 350hp
350 would be less than the 2019 Explorer Sport that makes 365hp. So that won't fly. The 2020 Explorer ST will likely get at least 385 and more likely 400+.

I'm really anxious to read magazine reviews on the 2019 Edge ST and 2020 Explorer ST. The one review I've read on the Edge ST performance wasn't exactly what I wanted to hear. So it is very possible that the 2020 Explorer ST won't accelerate much better than the current Sport model. It's still early so hopefully Ford will address the performance appropriately without pushing the MSRP too high over the Sport.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
blah.... The ST is obviously geared towards enthusiasts and I would love the growl of a Coyote in the Explorer. Tune and 10spd would be an easy 12 sec truck while being able to haul 5-6000lbs (perfect for me :) ).

EDIT: Bob, we were typing at the same time. My post was in reference to the pic posted above.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
blah.... The ST is obviously geared towards enthusiasts and I would love the growl of a Coyote in the Explorer. Tune and 10spd would be an easy 12 sec truck while being able to haul 5-6000lbs (perfect for me :) ).

EDIT: Bob, we were typing at the same time. My post was in reference to the pic posted above.

No worries Justin. I figured that was the case. LOL. I'd love to see a Coyote in the Explorer as well. I think that powertrain in the Explorer ST would make it a smash home run for Ford. Might even pull me into it vs. the Edge ST that my eye is presently on.

I love that white Interceptor front end in the photo. I wish the new Edge had that front end. Much nicer!

V6&V8SHO

Established Member
I don’t care for the twisty knob gear selector. What’s next, push buttons on the steering wheel?
Twisty knob is great I have it in my fusion sport. Lincoln’s have the push buttons that I don’t dig.

aoc racer

Ford is hella cool
Established Member
350 would be less than the 2019 Explorer Sport that makes 365hp. So that won't fly. The 2020 Explorer ST will likely get at least 385 and more likely 400+.

I'm really anxious to read magazine reviews on the 2019 Edge ST and 2020 Explorer ST. The one review I've read on the Edge ST performance wasn't exactly what I wanted to hear. So it is very possible that the 2020 Explorer ST won't accelerate much better than the current Sport model. It's still early so hopefully Ford will address the performance appropriately without pushing the MSRP too high over the Sport.
All the better

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
First person to do a burn out in a explorer or aviator is a svtp hero. so glad going back to rwd.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I don’t care for the twisty knob gear selector. What’s next, push buttons on the steering wheel?
The new Edge has the knob gear selector, too. I prefer the stick selector but it does better use of the console space. Better than the Lincoln push buttons IMO.

walt460

SN95 Judge
Established Member
I hope Ford learns from the Edge ST (disappointing acceleration) and makes the Explorer ST a real performer.
I have a 2019 Edge ST and it is really a nice package, except that it does not accelerate like I would expect from a ST. I suspect that the boost is being limited in the lower gears as well as low RPM in higher gears, to protect the 10 speed auto. It is just not fast.

A least one road tester pointed out that it is not as fast as the 2015 Edge Sport, which had a 6-speed auto. 4 years later, with more HP and Torque, the Edge ST is not as fast as a 4-year-old Edge Sport. Sad!

I have a 2001 Lightning. I love it. It is a civilized Monster. You can drive it normally and it is just another 2001 F150. If you get aggressive, you can feel the "animal" come out, and if you stomp on it, you better be prepared, because even with 170K on the clock, it becomes an acceleration MONSTER. That is the standard for an ST vehicle that Ford established in my mind. The 2019 Edge ST just does not measure up!

So I really hope Ford is listening and fixes their ST image with the 2020 Explorer ST.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
I hope Ford learns from the Edge ST (disappointing acceleration) and makes the Explorer ST a real performer.
I have a 2019 Edge ST and it is really a nice package, except that it does not accelerate like I would expect from a ST. I suspect that the boost is being limited in the lower gears as well as low RPM in higher gears, to protect the 10 speed auto. It is just not fast.

A least one road tester pointed out that it is not as fast as the 2015 Edge Sport, which had a 6-speed auto. 4 years later, with more HP and Torque, the Edge ST is not as fast as a 4-year-old Edge Sport. Sad!

I have a 2001 Lightning. I love it. It is a civilized Monster. You can drive it normally and it is just another 2001 F150. If you get aggressive, you can feel the "animal" come out, and if you stomp on it, you better be prepared, because even with 170K on the clock, it becomes an acceleration MONSTER. That is the standard for an ST vehicle that Ford established in my mind. The 2019 Edge ST just does not measure up!

So I really hope Ford is listening and fixes their ST image with the 2020 Explorer ST.

Livernois has a tune out if you want some more kick. @CobraBob can tell you it made his Edge Sport move along just nicely.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator

The Explorer should have the 10R80, so it shouldn't need as much torque management.

Users who are viewing this thread