Spy Shots: Ford Fusion Active Caught Up Close in Dearborn

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
From SEMA:

Ford

Almost four years ago, Ford Motor Co. announced that it would yank out every car in the automaker’s lineup, except for the Mustang and Focus Active due to surging demand for crossovers and utility vehicles.

As part of the radical shakeup, the Blue Oval has also discontinued the Fusion, along with its Lincoln-badged platform twins. Be that as it may, there is hearsay the Fusion will return in the guise of a jacked-up utility vehicle inspired by the low-slung Evos crossover for the Chinese market.

Produced by the Dearborn-based automaker’s joint venture with Chang’an Automobile, the Evos mid-size crossover still hasn’t been detailed in depth even though it was presented last year at the Shanghai Motor Show. Based on the 2.0L EcoBoost four-cylinder turbo, eight-speed automatic transmission, and front-wheel-drive layout, it’s likely based on the C2 that replaces the CD4 platform of the Fusion, Taurus, MKZ and Continental.

Given these details, have a good look at the camo’d prototype recently spied near the Dearborn R&D center in Michigan. Evos-inspired styling cues are obvious, but on the other hand, we’re looking at a boxy wagon-esque vehicle rather than a coupe SUV.

Reportedly named Fusion Active, according to unverified reports, the indirect successor of the Fusion four-door sedan features a more upright rear end and a more rugged front-grille motif.

Considering that Ford intends to kill off the long-in-the-tooth Edge in 2023, the mid-size utility vehicle with two-row seating could be replaced by the Fusion Active. The footprint is just right for the newcomer to slot between the front-/all-wheel-drive Escape and rear-/all-wheel-drive Explorer too.

Ford

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I just can't understand Ford's logic with calling this mid-size SUV a Focus ANYTHING. This quote, "the indirect successor of the Fusion four-door sedan" just makes me shake my head in disbelief.

I totally get that the Edge needs a complete re-design, maybe on a new platform, but why not retain the model name and call it the NEW Edge. A name synonymous with a mid-size SUV. Fusion anything? No.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I just can't understand Ford's logic with calling this mid-size SUV a Focus ANYTHING. This quote, "the indirect successor of the Fusion four-door sedan" just makes me shake my head in disbelief.

I totally get that the Edge needs a complete re-design, maybe on a new platform, but why not retain the model name and call it the NEW Edge. A name synonymous with a mid-size SUV. Fusion anything? No.

My guess is because the Edge name is shit. The Fusion was a better selling car/name.
Same reason we have a Mach E.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member

Exactly, i have really grown to like the Edge honestly.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member

Old co-worker had a plug in Fusion. Honestly seemed pretty nice as a passenger. Don't mind a good wagon or shooting brake. Ol CTSV wagon is nasty. But why raise everything up and make it a cross over? Center of gravity looks way higher that the old Fusion. Should have went closer to a Charger. My 0.02

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
My guess is because the Edge name is shit. The Fusion was a better selling car/name.
Same reason we have a Mach E.
Oh, for sure, when you compare it to the Explorer. My point is that Ford seems to be not interested in reviving the model name with a vastly improved platform, and instead trying to capitalize on a name that has zero to do with an SUV. Same flawed logic that had them capitalize on the Mustang name for the Mach E.

Exactly, i have really grown to like the Edge honestly.
Me, as well. I owned a 2016 Edge Sport and liked it a lot. I actually had intended to buy a 2019 Edge ST but instead went with a Genesis G-70 simply because I wanted a performance sedan. I test drove the Edge ST and was impressed with the power delivery (in Sport mode), ride, handling, design, and interior improvement over my Sport. I most like the size of the Edge as I have never had a need for 3rd row seating. For me, it would be the perfect compact/mid-size SUV other than my '22 Genesis GV70.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Meh I enjoyed our 2008 Fusion we had it was a good car. Ford is probably doing this because the name is recognizable, they sold a lot of them. Remember when they discontinued the Taurus and brought the 500 only to return to the Taurus name plate? Names sell. Hell the Mach E looks nice but imho they shoulda called it Galixie if they still have the trademark if it’s the future. While the Lightning is neat I still think of old Lightnings use something else Thunder or something jmo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SVTDarin

Established Member
The Edge is probably their slowest selling SUV and it seems a lot of SUVs are now becoming more wagon like than true upright SUVs. Even though I almost bought an Edge ST I think it's good to dump it, the Fusion was a good seller, a more recognizable name, and I think it's wagon like shape is a good fit for todays market. I will be watching for it in an ST model unless I dump my Outback Wilderness for a Maverick ST.

Users who are viewing this thread