Squealing sound when clutch engages

EvilBlack

04 Sickness
Established Member
FRPP HD TOB is the best one but a few people have toasted them pretty early. The SPEC and others have WAY more problems. Make sure you set them up properly and keep them adjusted or they will die again early.

Pilot Bearings need to be replaced when you do clutches and/or TOB. They are 10 bucks so I would do them any time it is all of the way apart.

I still think the OP problem is Pilot bearing.

crazywhiteboy90

Established Member
2011-03-19_18-57-47_174.mp4 video by budstang - Photobucket

This is a vid of me going from first to reverse a couple times. It really only does it in these two gears. occasionally you can hear it when down shifting into second to take a turn.

Same exact noise here too lol strange.......but like i said with mine i only does it when its cold out after driving for around 10 mins it eventually goes away, as far as PB and TOB it wasall replaced during installation clutch only has about 3,000 on it now and it was fine when first installed once weather dropped around here the noise started

Nitrous SSC

Established Member
Makes me wonder if we all got bad TOB's cause most of ours are newer parts not old ones. I put mine in last year.

SVTCobraJon

Established Member
Same exact noise here too lol strange.......but like i said with mine i only does it when its cold out after driving for around 10 mins it eventually goes away, as far as PB and TOB it wasall replaced during installation clutch only has about 3,000 on it now and it was fine when first installed once weather dropped around here the noise started
Mine is a Spec 3+ installed about 1 year ago 11k miles on it, it didn't start making noise until it got cold out. Oddly enough after beating on the car in the mountains this weekend I haven't heard it make the squeel yet.

03 svt

Established Member
I showed that video to a tech at Fidanza today and he said he had never heard anything like before. He said he would consult with the other techs and get back to me. I also called D&D and they didn't have any reccomendations either.

crazywhiteboy90

Established Member
Mine is a Spec 3+ installed about 1 year ago 11k miles on it, it didn't start making noise until it got cold out. Oddly enough after beating on the car in the mountains this weekend I haven't heard it make the squeel yet.

haha same here spec 3 and lately i havent been hearing it that often lol hard to tell if thats bad or good

army_man1014

Established Member
yea my car does this also. I have a Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel and a
Fidanza Stage 4 Clutch (new TOB). Does this all the time and makes me look like i don't know how to drive it..Embarrassing

Nitrous SSC

Established Member
^^ Yup.

The clutch NEVER did it when we had 4.30's in the car, now that it has 3.55's and that Cobra 2.66 first gear. The clutch has to be slipped a bit. Its not happy about that.

03 svt

Established Member
Well I got my car dynoed the other day and the tuner hated my clutch. He said to change the quadrant. I have a steeda quick release. I'm not sure if it will help with the noise but I'm going to give it a shot.

Nitrous SSC

Established Member
Maximum Motorsports here.

Our problem didn't start till I moved that clutch and flywheel from a 4.30 rear 3.35 first gear setup to a 3.55 rear 2.66 first gear.

I have this same spec 2+ in my fox and not a peep, also not a hint of chatter. Ever since the tranny/rear swap too the clutch chatters like a mofo.

03 svt

Established Member
Thats just odd. I think some of my problem is that my clutch is an on and off switch. So I'm forcing it to slip this causing the sound. Idk

army_man1014

Established Member
i have the same clutch as you and flywheel. I noticed mine 2 days ago when i let off the clutch pedal a squeal also. Im hoping its nothing to serious but anyways i wanna get rid of this clutch and flywheel set up since this seems to me to be the only set up where you get the awful chatter when you come from a dead stop. Im thinking about a McLeod with a new flywheel myself.

pavich91

Established Member
I have has the same noise for a year now, re-did the clutch and still did it. I have DFX. I hate it as much as you guys, very embarassing!!!!!

My car is getting worked on and was just told
the chirping clutch... warped fly wheel, clutch disc is wearing uneven.

But that would mean all of you have the same problem?? From the sounds of it some of you have brand new set ups and still doing it so what else then?

btw, mine also does it when cold.

Nitrous SSC

Established Member
What I don't understand with my application is that it all worked fine on an N/A 4.6 and 3650 Trans. I moved the clutch assembly AND same flywheel over to an 03' Engine/Trans. Thats when it started doing it.

Users who are viewing this thread