SRA build?

Teej281

Established Member
Well, I did go through the swap. I wanted the ride and handling of an IRS. If I didn't mind the ride of an sra I would have stuck with the sra. Sometimes, seeing that I have a convertible, I wish I would have stuck with the sra and built that. But I wouldn't give up my IRS ride for anything. When I get softer sidewall tires, the hop should go away. But with street tires I get hop when I don't hook dead. All in all, I love my IRS. But those that don't see the appeal of a solid axle in a high hp cobra are just blind. Reliability of the IRS comes into question. It's not a matter of what you want, it's how to avoid breaking things and making the car more safe to use all the hp made. Grrr is one of my bet friend's and we had this discussion multiple times and he is doing the swap for the right reasons.

Drazga

Established Member
I just did the swap and the ride is no where near the same, but i wanted to lose weight and the car to be strip/street racing car.
I did a straight trade with my buddy:
31 Spline Mosers
Auburn Pro Posi
UPR Adjustable Uppers
UPR Adjustable Lowers
Spherical Bushings
Antiroll Bar
H&R Springs
Shocks
Expensive Cover
373s
Extended Studs

I had the axle tubes welded and the oil changed, also my buddy gave me his strange 10 way adjustable for up front.

Honestly, the car isn't dialed in yet, but it rides like shit (especially with both links from the anti roll bar attached) the noise from the bushings is also a little annoying at times. Hopefully at some point in the future, I'll get an IRS and do the bushings and everything necessary while it is out of the car. Get separate springs and shocks for it as well as the stock brakes with slotted rotors that I have on my SRA now. I'd like to be able to switch them in and out, but I have a feeling that I will eventually abandon the SRA and just keep the IRS in. My car by no means is an all out drag car, I take it into the city and commute 20+ miles each way when i take it to school, but I wanted this car to be great in a straight line while doing anything to make it faster. Honestly, if you DD the car or care about ride don't go SRA. I don't totally regret my decision because I have goals that I would like to meet, but even my SRA Stinger Catback has no where near the same quality of the exhaust note that the IRS one did nor does it look as cool.

Last edited:

SlowSVT

Established Member
Well, I did go through the swap. I wanted the ride and handling of an IRS. If I didn't mind the ride of an sra I would have stuck with the sra. Sometimes, seeing that I have a convertible, I wish I would have stuck with the sra and built that. But I wouldn't give up my IRS ride for anything. When I get softer sidewall tires, the hop should go away. But with street tires I get hop when I don't hook dead. All in all, I love my IRS. But those that don't see the appeal of a solid axle in a high hp cobra are just blind. Reliability of the IRS comes into question. It's not a matter of what you want, it's how to avoid breaking things and making the car more safe to use all the hp made. Grrr is one of my bet friend's and we had this discussion multiple times and he is doing the swap for the right reasons.

No one goes thru all the trouble and expense of equipping a performance car with an IRS just to get a smooth ride. That is just a byproduct of the characteristics of an IRS. There are plenty of IRS Cobra's making mad hp without any problems. There are IRS equipped Cobra's turning 9's. Problems occur when you subject the driveline to shock loads of drag racing with slicks and gears. When you start doing that then the SRA starts to make sense. But don't think for a minute you won't be breaking axles in an SRA. They are just cheaper and easier to repair. Something tells me this is not where the OP wants to go.

Drag racing will also fatigue and twist the chassis from all the torque multiplication where the frame starts to rattle and shake making the responsiveness of the cars handling "mushy".

Teej281

Established Member
Yea...just did it for the ride more or less. Having the smooth ride adds benefits to handling on rougher surfaces. Do you not get that I love my IRS? How gives a flying f$&@ what the reasons for it are!!! I love my IRS and I lovey ftbr bushing kit. Rides and handles awesome, especially with my MM coilovers on bilsteins. No doubt about it. But you have to realize that to make your point is acceptable, but for you to tell a person what they want, even after they say no, thanks though, is just annoying as hell. When one person, like a broken record, says the same thing over and over again, especially in the same thread, it's like really? It's not your car, and he is keeping the IRS so if he wants to switch back he can do it without a doubt. I won't let him put it back in with the crappy poly bushings he has, but I will without a doubt help him put it back in.

I've had the conversation with him that he should just redo the bushings with the delrin and he'd have the setup to have but he wants an sra. So I left it be...seeing how annoying it is on here when people hound on people post after post. Plus he is getting the stick axle out of my car so it's free and it's disassembled so he gets to build it exactly how he wants it.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Yea...just did it for the ride more or less. Having the smooth ride adds benefits to handling on rougher surfaces. Do you not get that I love my IRS? How gives a flying f$&@ what the reasons for it are!!! I love my IRS and I lovey ftbr bushing kit. Rides and handles awesome, especially with my MM coilovers on bilsteins. No doubt about it. But you have to realize that to make your point is acceptable, but for you to tell a person what they want, even after they say no, thanks though, is just annoying as hell. When one person, like a broken record, says the same thing over and over again, especially in the same thread, it's like really? It's not your car, and he is keeping the IRS so if he wants to switch back he can do it without a doubt. I won't let him put it back in with the crappy poly bushings he has, but I will without a doubt help him put it back in.

I've had the conversation with him that he should just redo the bushings with the delrin and he'd have the setup to have but he wants an sra. So I left it be...seeing how annoying it is on here when people hound on people post after post. Plus he is getting the stick axle out of my car so it's free and it's disassembled so he gets to build it exactly how he wants it.

Nice to hear you understand the advantages of an IRS. From what I have read the OP doesn't seem to understand what those are or is getting bad advice from somewhere. Some of it on this thread is from people who have done the swap and most likely from a narrow point of view. All I am doing is helping him understand better what's at stake so he can make a more informed decision which I am sure he's beginning to look at this from a different perspective. He already has the Level 5's. Now all he needs is the bushing kit and an IRS brace and he's good to go and can pound on that IRS to his heart's desire and still throw the car into a bumpy corner and not worry about the rear end skating to the outside.

You are correct. It's his car and can do what he likes with it as I stated above. But don't push some one in a direction that might not produce the best results. The fact you understand all this, swapped an SRA for an IRS and love yet you think I am "annoying" has me baffled :shrug: Rarely does someone with an SRA provide a balanced perspective because in doing so would expose flaws in doing this swap. For some that may be a hard pill to swallow.

I don't need to comment any further on this thread. By now the OP certainly has a better understanding on this subject then before and can make his own decision. Good debate as always!

:beer:

03zincyellowsvt

Established Member
660rwhp> IRS

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ii8iriWBqs"]YouTube - What Torque? *carnage*[/nomedia]

there was no wheel hop, it just snapped both half shafts

Teej281

Established Member
Didnt look like he was running slicks either. A radial sidewall is the enemy to an IRS. If you want to run an IRS successfully at the track, you better run slicks as they eat up some of the shock of a launch.

SlowSVT

Established Member
660rwhp> IRS

YouTube - What Torque? *carnage*

there was no wheel hop, it just snapped both half shafts

:lol1:

Real genius here. How long did it take you to find that one? :dw:

Try mine

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9qMoFSLgGw"]YouTube - qcksnake 9 second 6speed IRS 03 cobra[/nomedia]

Now how about some "real man" video? Turn your speakers up LOUD! :mj:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ch5Dx2ftTwg"]YouTube - 2000 cobra r chasing down a porsche carrera gt[/nomedia]

03zincyellowsvt

Established Member
actually hes my buddy, he was one of the people that said his car would never see a SRA until that happened. he was running 295 45R17 MT drag radials. obviously if you want to drag race the IRS consistently you need slicks. Its great that guys go fast on irs, more power to them. i got rid of mine before it became a problem, although i wish i would have gone with the ftbr bushing kit instead of the mm stuff but i still had wheel hop and i wanted to drag race, i was never into turning or going to open track stuff so that wasnt my concern

SlowSVT

Established Member
actually hes my buddy, he was one of the people that said his car would never see a SRA until that happened. he was running 295 45R17 MT drag radials. obviously if you want to drag race the IRS consistently you need slicks. Its great that guys go fast on irs, more power to them. i got rid of mine before it became a problem, although i wish i would have gone with the ftbr bushing kit instead of the mm stuff but i still had wheel hop and i wanted to drag race, i was never into turning or going to open track stuff so that wasnt my concern

Your friend is not the only one turning those numbers on an IRS. I could scrounge up more if you like. I will say if you’re serious about doing that stuff often an SRA is probably a wise choice.

With regard to the car actually changing direction which most do. The IRS "HANDS DOWN!" A full-on road racer is a HOOT on the street! A full-on drag racer with slicks, gears, skinnies sans sway bars.........not so much.

A car that does "everything" well way more fun :banana:

That was AC427's car mixing it up with the Porsche. Imagine what was going thru that drives head seeing a Mustang in his rear view mirror clawing away at his tail :cuss:

Priceless!

:beer:

03zincyellowsvt

Established Member
I didn't watch that vid yet, im sure its good. I would never argue that handling would be better with irs, but I don't think ill take the sway bars out I don't want to completely ruin it, even though in most peoples minds I already did with the procharger and solid axle lol

Digital

Established Member
Perhaps for some.

But anyone who is looking to buy a Cobra and see's a solid axle out back the first thing that will go thru his mind is: "this car has seen a lot of drag racing" and when considering the punishing shock loads that inflicts on the chassis and driveline it's likely he will quickly loose interest and look elsewhere (I know I would). Not only that but the NE Cobra is the only Mustang ever made with an IRS which makes it special and adds to the appeal of the car.

If I saw a 700rwhp cobra with a IRS I wouldn't say "oh this is a gently used car." You're not gonna win the resale argument.

SlowSVT

Established Member
If I saw a 700rwhp cobra with a IRS I wouldn't say "oh this is a gently used car." You're not gonna win the resale argument.

But if you saw one with an SRA the first thing that comes to mind is: "drag racer!" :uh oh:

That axle alone speaks volumes!

I'll take the 700hp IRS car thank you :)

Taken from a difference perspective: Which car is likely to have been abused more?

Then ask yourself: Between the two that are identical in every way except. Which one do you think a mature and knowledgeable car buyer would choose?

;-)

03zincyellowsvt

Established Member
If the seller is up front about the drag racing then what's the difference? What if the IRS car was drag raced as well? There's too many What ifs for that.

stal94gt

Established Member
i dont get why people get all worked up about the sra vs irs threads. to each their own when it comes to what setup to run. i have a sra in my cobra and i like it. its always a 50/50 about which is better for the track or daily driven. im a track guy my self and wont every go nuts driving hard on the street so good handeling is not important to me.

TRQJUNKIE

Justa Slobra
Established Member
hahah wow i didn't expect this to turn into an all out war here. Just wanted some input on everyone's SRA setups and how they like it or what they would change about it. Anyone else have something to add.

Digital

Established Member
But if you saw one with an SRA the first thing that comes to mind is: "drag racer!" :uh oh:

That axle alone speaks volumes!

I'll take the 700hp IRS car thank you :)

Taken from a difference perspective: Which car is likely to have been abused more?

Then ask yourself: Between the two that are identical in every way except. Which one do you think a mature and knowledgeable car buyer would choose?

;-)

my car has a sra and it rarely sees the track :shrug:

I've taken the cobra to the track less then once a year in the 3+ years I've owned it. So no I actually wouldn't think drag race because of SRA. I'd think responsible owner. I'd run from a bone stock IRS 700rwhp car right to a built SRA 700rwhp any day.

hahah wow i didn't expect this to turn into an all out war here. Just wanted some input on everyone's SRA setups and how they like it or what they would change about it. Anyone else have something to add.
This isn't even close to all out war. This is very soft debating with a little outside banter. You should see the actual war threads. That crap is brutal. Right now it's just me and slo in here. The other heavy hitters haven't even posted anything biased yet lol.

Users who are viewing this thread