SRA build?

DarkMach1

Established Member
The IRS nutswinging needs to stop as its not helping the OP. It seems like he already made up his mind on this subject. To the guy saying that if someone was to buy a cobra and realizes that it has a solid rear its supposed to mean its been raced its full of it, thats like saying that because Im gonna buy a cobra and the bottom end has been rebuilt with stronger parts am supposed to take that as a warning to not buy the car. Car modifications has nothing to do with how much a car has been raced. As a matter of fact, if I came across 2 terminators pushing 700whp, one with built motor, trans and a built solid rear and the other stock bottom end, trans and IRS, Ill probably go with the built one, as I know that the owner knows what he's doing and cares that the car stays in running condition and the other just cares about putting down power. I've driven my buddies bolt on GTO and it barely feels any different than my built solid rear with LCAs and suspension, unless I was to drive it in some 3rd world country with pot holes 2ft deep.

To the OP, Im running Moser 31spline axles, FRPP trak-loc with carbon clutches and a TA diff cover with ARP bearing cap studs. That setup has been proven to take deep 10sec 1/4mile launches with no issue.

Last edited:

Teej281

Established Member
Depends on what you're wanting to do. You need a new flange for the driveshaft to bolt up to the housing, control arms, shocks, springs, and exhaust. Thats just about it. Then there is the 31 spline axles and all that fun stuff but you can find mostly everything needed for the swap from lethal and other mainstream parts distributors.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Depends on what you're wanting to do. You need a new flange for the driveshaft to bolt up to the housing, control arms, shocks, springs, and exhaust. Thats just about it. Then there is the 31 spline axles and all that fun stuff but you can find mostly everything needed for the swap from lethal and other mainstream parts distributors.

how about the best place for a generic 8.8 housing (other than the local boneyard)?

looks like ford no longer sells them new

there was a guy on here who was selling sra swaps from kentucky i think too

Last edited:

Teej281

Established Member
There used to be Ebay listings that a company had new casings with 03 cobra diff, 31 spline axles, and gear ratio of your choice for like $1300 or something like that. I cant seem to find them anymore. Maybe steve at tousley can get housings and then you can stuff them with whatever you want.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
There used to be Ebay listings that a company had new casings with 03 cobra diff, 31 spline axles, and gear ratio of your choice for like $1300 or something like that. I cant seem to find them anymore. Maybe steve at tousley can get housings and then you can stuff them with whatever you want.

yup as far as the axles/internals i figure the sky's the limit

thx i will check with tousley (but it doesn't show on their website) and keep on looking. i just would rather try to get a new housing if possible

what i would really like to do someday (even though it is way advanced) is to get one of those chris alston chassisworks housings :eek: sort of a bolt-in deal for the most part, but a far cry from a 8.8. of course, that is more for a serious-built car. :rockon:

BO TY KLR

Established Member
$200 '98' housing complete with aftermarket springs and adjustable shocks
$250 ford 31 spline diff
$600 strange racing axles with disk brake c-clip eliminators kit with ABS tone rings
$25 ford flange to fit our drive shaft e-bay
$75 bearing kit
$50 used 3.73 gear
$200 weightjacker lower control arm
$free upr uppers

Last edited:

DarkMach1

Established Member
What for setup are you running for control arms and such DarkMach1?

Are you asking me what LCAs I have? If so, I have Maximum Motorsports non-adjustable along with Steeda sport springs and Tokico D-specs. Soon to have MM full length subframes.

Teej281

Established Member
YAY MM CONTROL ARMS!!! They are personally what would have been going on the SRA if I would have kept it in my car. Did you get the poly/spherical or the spherical/spherical?

Teej281

Established Member
maintain c clips i'm pretty sure. I think that's the only way to keep the ABS, and in turn, Traction Control.

BO TY KLR

Established Member
maintain c clips i'm pretty sure. I think that's the only way to keep the ABS, and in turn, Traction Control.

strange sells c-clip eliminators that have a billet caliper mount and and tone ring. See post #6 in this thread

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
I've taken the cobra to the track less then once a year in the 3+ years I've owned it. So no I actually wouldn't think drag race because of SRA. I'd think responsible owner

x2 .. i just simply did not like the irs in these cars ... and i now love it MUCH more with the sra .. just dont get why others cant allow "to each his own"

Digital

Established Member

The traction control works off the ABS system and the ABS works off the tone rings. C-clips are what holds the axles inside the diff. You can use C-clip elims and keep tone rings on certain setups. My disc brake system is my c-clip elims *rolls eyes*

Users who are viewing this thread