Sra swap worth it???

WFO Powersports

I know this subject has been beat to death but. I’ve got an 01 Cobra. Basically stock just some minor mods done. Eventually down the road I’ll be installing twin turbo. A local guy wants to swap his sra with me. Is it really worth it? As far as exhaust ect...?

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
Don’t swap with him, the irs is worth more than a solid axle. You’re better off buying a solid, building it, powder coating it, buying proper control arms, then sell the irs. If that’s the way you want to go.
In a twin turbo application, absolutely put a sra in it, I have one in mine.

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
(Insert matrix red pill blue pill meme, lvl 5 IRS or built sra)

...and Maximus said to Commodus, "the time for honoring yourself will soon come to an end."

KilledbyKenne

Established Member
Don’t swap with him, the irs is worth more than a solid axle. You’re better off buying a solid, building it, powder coating it, buying proper control arms, then sell the irs. If that’s the way you want to go.
In a twin turbo application, absolutely put a sra in it, I have one in mine.

Pretty much this. I'd go SRA in a heart beat, but don't do a straight across trade unless this guy has a completely built rear. Jmo

I have a KB car with a SRA. After breaking the driver side half shaft multiple times in my last cobra, I didn't want to deal with that in this car.

shurur

Established Member
time for an intervention...

go FTBR...keep the IRS!!!...if you actually go TT.."sometime down the road"...then and only then think about an SRA!!!...but not until...

you have a whole motor to build yet!!..for that TT setup.

once you upgrade the IRS..I am not sure you will be so fast to rip it out...and give it away..

old red pill..blue pill..black pill fixes
https://www.svtperformance.com/threads/the-irs-tech-article.213384/

FTBR...the final fix
IRS Informational Article

Last edited:

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
when you go from IRS to SRA you lose more than IRS. you lose chassis rigidity (the cradle ties the frame rails together) and comfort in favor of worse suspension geometry.

don't do it. its not the best IRS but its miles beyond the quadrabind.

98_Undertaker

Established Member
I’ve gone sra back to irs and now I’m back to an sra. Irs handles better and rides better but I’m happy with the sra.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
If the car is going to be a drag strip whore go SRA. If street is the main goal keep the IRS. My IRS road better then our old 06 GT with the 3 link. Just upgrade the bushings and half shafts. The 03/04 half shafts should be enough. I grenaded a stock 01 half shaft getting on the freeway when I was in the low 600's.

Users who are viewing this thread