SSC Tuatara top speed run, 331mph. 316mph average for the record.

slow poke

Established Member
They gave it another go, but on a shorter track this time. Even with that, I find it hard to believe they'll back up their original numbers had the track been as long as the original run.

They will be able to do it. Starting speed doesn't matter that much.

A Chiron that ran there appears to have used far less of the track and still hit 260 (example, Chiron was doing 80mph at the same spot the SSC was doing 130mph.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
They will be able to do it. Starting speed doesn't matter that much.
I believe they will break 300, but I don't see them hitting a 316mph average, at least not anytime soon. Regardless, a 282.9mph average is nothing to sneeze at and kudo's to them!

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
Good looking car

Bugatti using a U2 to take spy photos in the background? Lol

View attachment 1667886

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With the nose up in the turn and wing tanks looks like a Lockheed T-33 Shooting Star (P-80/F-80).
Boeing loved using them as chase planes for their commercial side, retired them a year ago after 66 years of service. They could do 600mph, maneuverable and very stable, and the J33 had a low fuel burn, perfect for subsonic chasing.
Arctic_Thunder_160729-F-YH552-021.jpg

75373_t33sformation_237799.jpg

boeing-t33-chase-plane-flies-with-a-boeing-787-dreamliner-for-the-picture-id94473751.jpg

blownstang01

Established Member
Don't get me wrong, it's an awesome car, and insanely fast (and one I'll never be able to afford anyway). This record is wonderful and properly documented. But, does little in my mind to change the perception that they intentionally used smoke and mirrors during the "316 record".

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Just thought of this again this morning and turns out they officially withdrew their claim.

SSC Instagram Post - July 21, 2021
"If it hasn’t been made clear up to this point, we would like to acknowledge officially that we did not reach the originally claimed speeds of 331 MPH or even 301 MPH in October of 2020. We were truly heartbroken as a company to learn that we did not reach this feat, and we are in an ongoing effort to break the 300 MPH barrier transparently, officially, and undoubtedly."

Update, July 23, 2021, 11:15 a.m. EST: SSC CEO Jerod Shelby issued the following statement in an email to Road & Track.
When I made my personal statement in October 2020 about the events that transpired after our initial reported record speeds, I believed we had made it clear that we did not stand behind those original speeds after new evidence challenged what we believed we had accomplished. In that October statement I acknowledged that we were unable to validate the claimed speeds and that we were unable to correlate the speeds between the GPS and the video. That is the moment we vowed to re-attempt the top speed runs in an open, transparent, and redundant way. There was a genuine mistake in how the capturing equipment was setup. We did not lie about the numbers and there certainly was no ill-intent or awareness of the mistake when we initially released the speeds. We truly believed we had initially hit those speeds, but when the achievement came into question and we dug into the discrepancies that we saw, we knew we could not validate our speeds in any way so we knew the only choice we had was to put October behind us and prepare to re-run for the record in a much different manner.

Users who are viewing this thread