Stained paint?

fiveohpoepoe

Established Member
Ran my dd through the brush less wash, which I have used for several years with no problems. Got home and noticed a yellow tint to areas[lower rockers, bumpers etc] and I tried a little cleaner wax with no luck. I contacted the owners of the wash and explained what happened and they said there has been about a dozen other WHITE vehicles that have had the same issue. Something with the chemicals. Its an orange/yellow coloring.
The company paid to have it detailed[clay bar, compound, speed buffed] and it looks good, however the "stains" in still there when I get up close. The owner told me if this did not work the next step would be to paint it. The detailer has the car again today and is going to see what else he can do.
Its an 01 Expedition[white] and this is the first time I ran this one through the wash.
I do not use the wash as often as I used to and only ran it through after getting back from a trip to the mountains.
Thoughts on the "stains"? A repaint?

John@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Over the years, I have actually never heard of that. That's really a bummer, sorry to hear.

Most drive through washes buy their chemicals in bulk and to save money they are always not the best around. It's a possibility it was not a pH balanced wash/detergent and the chemicals just reacted poorly to the paint, causing it to stain.

Before you have it repainted, wetsanding may be an option. Find out if your detailer is experienced in wetsanding, or find someone who is. Have them take paint thickness measurements first so they know they have enough paint to work with. Wetsanding is very abrasive, and can end in catastrophe if the paint isn't thick enough, especially with an older car.

Good luck!

TransAxle

Shine Auto Salon
Established Member
What John said. Never heard of this myself...but sounds like the chemical ratio messed up and went more to the chemical side.

zaxjax

The Detailed Image
Established Member
i would have it repainted. Ford's are notoriously thin with paint on the rockers hence why they always rust out. If polishing didnt work, it needs to be sprayed so you know its taken care of

fiveohpoepoe

Established Member
Thanks for the input. Being an 01 model I dont want to take it much further than what the detailer is doing now, but I want it fixed of course. At 110k miles it will be around for a few more years. I should have it back around noon from the second round, but I dont think it will come out after a full round of what he did yesterday. Again, thanks

fiveohpoepoe

Established Member
The detailer spent all of Friday on it and seemed to get everything right. You would not be able to see it from 5' away, only up close and would have to be looking for it. Photos I do not believe would have shown anything.
He stripped what he had done the day before and went back over it with a compound, cleaner wax then polished it. Being an 01 model I did not want to raise a BIG stink about it, but I wanted it right. I am pleased with the outcome but of course would have preferred a repaint. lol

Users who are viewing this thread