Stainless Works Catback Review

3KGT_RedRyder

Established Member
Pictures

Video

Yes, I know the video is very poor quality. Hoping to have a better camera soon.

This was installed on my 2014 Mustang GT with Track Pack at around 1500 miles. This is the only exhaust modification on the car. I did lots of research on exhausts before I finally decided to go with Stainless Works. My goals were something unique, loud but refined, and will still sound good if I decide to go headers/mid-pipe in the future. I can honestly say this system checks all of my goals and then some.

Install: Overall the install went very smoothly. I had an exhaust shop do the install as I do not have access to a lift. After reading a few reviews on this exhaust it seemed like the install would be the worst part. After the installer mocked up the exhaust we realized it was going to stick out a few inches (as others have noted in their
reviews). I was hoping for a more OEM look so the shop cut around an inch off where the tip connects to the muffler. This was the area originally designed for the hanger that comes with the exhaust. As you can see in image 3, 5, and 9 above, he welded the tip directly to the muffler. He used a stainless steel weld and unless you are up close and looking under the tip/into the tip you cannot even tell it has been modified. The only other slight problem he ran into while installing the exhaust was the pipe clearance on the passenger side over axle (picture 8 above). There is only about an inch clearance at that location while weight is on the suspension. In the two months I've been driving with this new exhaust I've only heard metal to metal contact a couple times when I hit a decent sized bump going 35-40 mph. These pictures were taken after I heard the contact being made and there are no dents that I can see in the exhaust pipe.

Experience: I absolutely love the sound of this exhaust! I will say that it does sound deeper in person than in any videos I took or found online. When I first had it installed I had the back seats down for a couple weeks and it was much louder inside the car. Once I put the seats back up the sound was noticeably quieter inside. With the windows up and the music at a normal level the exhaust note is present but not overly loud. When you get on the gas this changes completely and it roars to life. The weather has not been nice enough in central IL for extended trips with the windows down so I cant comment on noise level with the windows down. The biggest surprise sound I noticed from this exhaust was the deceleration/downshift sound. It sounds like a really deep rumble/gurgle sound. It does not pop or ting like other exhausts I've heard. Its such an addicting sound I find myself downshifting more and more every day. I would recommend this exhaust to anybody looking for a unique sound for their mustang. Also, to somebody who prefers something louder than stock but not racecar loud and is wanting to leave the door open for future exhaust mods that can reuse the catback system and still sound good (at least from the videos I have seen of a full header/midpipe/catback stainless works system).

Please let me know if you have any questions about this exhaust or would like any specific pictures/videos taken.

Edit: I have been asked in a couple other forums if there is drone. There is some drone in 6th gear around 1.8-2k rpm. For my 3.73 rear end that's about 60-70 mph in 6th gear. Its only noticeable under load (not cruising but when you get on the gas) in that rpm range. Its not loud enough that other people in the car have said anything especially with the music on. I find myself setting the cruise a little above 70 on trips though.

Last edited:

chao5.0

Established Member
I have the same system and I had to space the drivers side panhard to keep the exhaust from hitting it. I'm going to re adjust the tail pipes this weekend and see if I can gain a little more clearance around the passenger side since it still hits there over hard bumps. I agree about the sound, its intoxicating now I have to install their headers and x-pipe then it should sound the way I want it to.

3KGT_RedRyder

Established Member
I have the same system and I had to space the drivers side panhard to keep the exhaust from hitting it. I'm going to re adjust the tail pipes this weekend and see if I can gain a little more clearance around the passenger side since it still hits there over hard bumps. I agree about the sound, its intoxicating now I have to install their headers and x-pipe then it should sound the way I want it to.

I talked to the installer a little about my clearance concern and he said it was hanging as high as he could get it and he welded an extra hanger to make sure the pipe would stay right at that height. I'll mention spacing the drivers side panhard next time I see him. I'm not overly concerned though as i've only noticed mine hit a couple times and it must have hit the bump just right as I drive over the same bump daily and usually don't hear anything.
Yes! I'm in the same boat as you with the headers/x-pipe. I love the sound now but I feel like the sound it makes under load is the volume I would like the car to make just cruising around. I'm going to try and hold off though and get as much enjoyment from what I have now + warranty.

w1tchblad3

Established Member
I have the same cat back system on my 14 and I love it but I have the same clearance problems over bumps it will hit metal to metal.

chao5.0

Established Member
I talked to the installer a little about my clearance concern and he said it was hanging as high as he could get it and he welded an extra hanger to make sure the pipe would stay right at that height. I'll mention spacing the drivers side panhard next time I see him. I'm not overly concerned though as i've only noticed mine hit a couple times and it must have hit the bump just right as I drive over the same bump daily and usually don't hear anything.
Yes! I'm in the same boat as you with the headers/x-pipe. I love the sound now but I feel like the sound it makes under load is the volume I would like the car to make just cruising around. I'm going to try and hold off though and get as much enjoyment from what I have now + warranty.

what I noticed when installing the system as well is the exhaust hanger rod is to thin compared to the factory ones that are thick and don't move around in the rubber hanger like the SW ones do, maybe that is also why the installer added a hanger to your kit. i'll get mince sorted sometime this weekend or maybe Friday when I get off of work.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
great exhaust, we ran it on our blue car for years before going to dumps, and we have it on our red car,

our # 1 seller!

Users who are viewing this thread