Stang2WRX - OEM Chrome Wheel Mod

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Good writeup..thanks for sharing. Where were you a year ago when I spent 45 minites per wheel with a rag and gasoline to get my shining???? Tried 4 different kinds of paint remover and none worked. The aircraft remover seems like a hit.

Dave99GT

Go Packers!
Established Member
some types of brake fluid may work well too, someone else here posted about doing that in a different thread a day or two ago.

QWKRNTU

Established Member
I did mine today and it took about 1 hour a rim with pulling it off. I will have pics soon need to download them. I also took one while it was on the car

TRBO VNM

I did 2 of mine a week ago and need to do the other 2. Word of warning, this aircraft remover is strong stuff. Your eyes may burn and if any splashes on your skin it will burn to. I just have protective glasses, so the fumes still got to my eyes.

while the rims won't rust, they will pit. you need to make sure you clean them regularly. easiest way without removing each rim I think would be to jack up the car and get underneath to clean them. If you don't clean them regularly and the break dust sits it will cause pitting. If it is a daily driver I would say at a minimum once a month if not twice.

I would like to find something to spray on and rinse off that really eats away the brake dust with minimal to no scrubbing.

Brad

Banned
Doing mine right now, AFS's though.

Originally posted by KiLLaBytE
that looks awesome man! good job!

what do you think the aircraft remover will to on machined wheels (non-chrome)?

Mine are pretty dirty from all the brake dust over the last year and a half. would it bring them back to life?

This is just a shot in the dark, but I don't think you'd want to do this to a non chrome wheel. The satin wheels are painted correct? So stripping paint off the wheel would just get it down to the bare metal no? I'm assuming after that they'd rust correct?

Last edited:

RossSVT

Established Member
Originally posted by Stang2WRX
anybody mod there's yet?

Did it the first day I had the car in April. Some of the paint wore off after just washing the wheels when I got the car home.

Took them all off and used the 0000 steel wool and a little lacquer thinner and BLING!

Guido 04

Banned
I checked the inside of my saleen wheels and it doesnt seem as if they're painted. Damn. How hard would it be to polish them up on the inside? Anybody have a good procedure?

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
Some guys were using steel wool - but just sanding that pulley cover was a lot of work, so I wasn't about to do 4 wheels that way...

Holy crap.... Are you saying that the pulley cover has chrome under its paint too?? If so, that will be my project for next weekend.

I am definitely going to do the wheel thing too... Thanks a for a sweet write-up man :thumbsup:

Venomous04

Established Member
Originally posted by WUTWINE
...I would like to find something to spray on and rinse off that really eats away the brake dust with minimal to no scrubbing.

Go pick up some rim wax, put lots of it on ( as in multiple coats like you would if your waxing your car )

After a few layers of that stuff brake dust will come off with the hose!

Marc.

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
Originally posted by Venomous04
Go pick up some rim wax, put lots of it on ( as in multiple coats like you would if your waxing your car )

After a few layers of that stuff brake dust will come off with the hose!

Marc.

There's only 3 solutions to making sure your rims are properly protected, in my opinion. Here they are in order from first choice to last choice (even though all are wonderful):

1) Eagle One Mag and Aluminum Polish (yes, I know, but it says on the back it works for chrome too; trust me, it works) - (LINK HERE)
2) Klasse High-Gloss Sealant Glaze(LINK HERE)
3) Zaino(LINK HERE)

That's if you want your rims to look like you just bought em :thumbsup:

Now, anybody know if there's chrome under the pulley cover?? Stang2WRX mentioned something about it, I think :-D

**EDIT** Added links to each product.... I really want to know if anyone's tried this on the pulley cover. I kinda doubt there's chrome under there, but I am curious because Stang2WRX mentioned something about it.

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

Originally posted by Blk03SVTCobra
There's only 3 solutions to making sure your rims are properly protected, in my opinion. Here they are in order from first choice to last choice (even though all are wonderful):

1) Eagle One Mag and Aluminum Polish (yes, I know, but it says on the back it works for chrome too; trust me, it works) - (LINK HERE)
2) Klasse High-Gloss Sealant Glaze(LINK HERE)
3) Zaino(LINK HERE)

That's if you want your rims to look like you just bought em :thumbsup:

Now, anybody know if there's chrome under the pulley cover?? Stang2WRX mentioned something about it, I think :-D

**EDIT** Added links to each product.... I really want to know if anyone's tried this on the pulley cover. I kinda doubt there's chrome under there, but I am curious because Stang2WRX mentioned something about it.

no chrome under the cover. someone polished it and their idlers though.

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
Originally posted by WUTWINE
no chrome under the cover. someone polished it and their idlers though.

Dang.... Oh well, the wheel mod it is... I'm going to be pestering you for tips this evening, Jason...:-D

TRBO VNM

Originally posted by Blk03SVTCobra
Dang.... Oh well, the wheel mod it is... I'm going to be pestering you for tips this evening, Jason...:-D

no problem...shouldn't you be working.

Stang2WRX

Established Member
I have a picture of my pulley cover polished... You are going to have to go through all the grits up to 1500 or so.

Took a LOT of work since it's some rough metal. I believe it's a steel. Anyway, post pics once ur done.. be sure to seal it with something.

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
I have a picture of my pulley cover polished... You are going to have to go through all the grits up to 1500 or so.

Took a LOT of work since it's some rough metal. I believe it's a steel. Anyway, post pics once ur done.. be sure to seal it with something.

I'm just going to do the wheel mod... I will post pics of the before, during and after... Whenever I get around to it... :-D

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
So I've been trying to accumulate the necessary items for this mod. Over the weekend I picked up the Aircraft Remover from Autozone. I already had safety glasses, a bucket, old sponge, water supply, and car wash.

However, I still need to get the following somewhere:

1) Metal container for small amounts of the Aircraft Remover
2) Chemical-resistant paint brush (the back of the Aircraft Remover bottle suggests a chemical-resistant brush)
3) Chemical-resistant rubber gloves (again, suggested by back of Aircraft Remover bottle)

Any ideas where I can pick these items up? I was guessing Home Depot, but haven't checked yet.

Also, I have serious concerns about the procedure. After reading the back of the Aircraft Remover bottle and seeing that it's a significant carcinogen, as well as a very, very environmentally unfriendly chemical, I have to ask.

Did you guys just wash the wheel off in your driveway and let the water run off somewhere? Is that OK to do? I am far from one of those hippy-tree-hugging people, but I have well water at my house. Whatever goes into the ground gets into my water again at some point.

I'm just kind of concerned about this stuff running off, as it's supposedly pretty nasty stuff. I just want to know what each of you did when it came time to clean the wheel up.

Thanks a bunch :thumbsup:

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

I am on public water. I just rinsed the wheels off and sent it down the stormdrains.

I used gloves I got at autozone, some blue rubber gloves. Be careful cause they can tear.

container, I just got a cheap plastic painters kit from home depot. Came with a small roller and some other things.

paint brush, I just used a typical brush I had laying around the house that we got at home depot. I tossed it in the garbage when done.

Users who are viewing this thread