• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

Start new Job nervous now

Discussion in 'Road Side Pub' started by 98slowbra, Feb 22, 2019.

1. 98slowbra

98slowbra Well-Known Member Established Member

Great reads bud thanks this helps out a bunch, they are all good to read, thanks for the help bud.

CV355 likes this.
  2. GT500_012308

GT500_012308 Active Member Premium Member Established Member

Nice congrats on the pay raise. Also feel they are gettin a bargain 1. The guy knows you and if they think he's worth a F*** then they automatically will know ur good to go because his word. 2. Your in CO not CA so they are paying u much less ( although good for you because ur location ect ) so they are getting a competent referred person for the low. Do your norm and ur good to go.

Thats a nice raise tho and being able to work at home has its up and downsides but I liked it because of my kids with school ect.

Good luck don't think you need it tho.

3. Sonic605hp

Sonic605hp Resident Prick. Established Member

I just made a move myself and am also nervous. I'm going to have to travel significantly for a couple months and hate being away from the family but the challenge is necessary in order to further my career in a growing company. It will certainly strain the Wife incredibly but it's initially a $15k raise and much more as I transition to the sales team in about 3 months. Gonna be hell for a while.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    CV355 likes this.
  4. 98slowbra

Thanks brother I will do my best, I will be in charge of 3 people so not to bad, but I was in charge of 20 people before for SSA and when they put me in that position we had 140 tickets in queue and in 3 months I got it down to 30 tickets on the Cisco ICM platform. I do push my people but I push them in a positive manner.

5. KingBlack

KingBlack Being watched closer then the FBI watched MLK Jr Established Member

good luck man. im sure you already do, but let the ones around and that you care about know how much you appreciate them, because as you said, they are going thru this with you

Sonic605hp likes this.
  6. 98slowbra

My wife did this and was gone for about 6 months and I had to take care of my girls and do all the running but I supported her, remember you are a team and you work together you can overcome anything bud. I did and so can you, just remember to thank her a lot and know you appreciate all she is doing while you make this transition.

Sonic605hp likes this.
  7. CV355

CV355 _ Established Member

Sounds like it's going in a good direction for you. I totally understand on the travel side. I struggle with travel, bad. It didn't bother me as much when I was younger, or if I at least have something to look forward to after work (I used to bring guitars with me to hotels, or video games, etc). The last 3 trips I was on were during winter months in Northern states and I didn't bring anything to occupy myself. Nothing worse than trekking through snow and sitting watching TV until you nod off.

Sonic605hp likes this.
  8. kirks5oh

kirks5oh kirks5oh Established Member

Confidence brother. The job wasn’t handed to you, you earned it. Congrats.

lilcoop03 likes this.
  9. 08mojo

08mojo ... Established Member

You got this, they hired you for a reason!!

My advice:

Quit telling people how much you make (that includes bonuses)! I'm sure your cowokers have the ability to find these threads and that can cause drama.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
    earico likes this.
  10. CV355

CV355 _ Established Member

+1
    I would strongly recommend going back and editing those posts to remove the numbers.

08mojo likes this.
  11. 72MachOne99GT

72MachOne99GT Well-Known Member Established Member

Go back and double them. Somehow use that to motivate them to work harder... or something.

Zemedici likes this.
  12. Stanger00

Stanger00 Well-Known Member Established Member

Or he learns his subordinates on-site earn more...goes both ways, right. But then again those same subs probably have a 4 hour commute to and from office. Value does depend on what you actually value and to me working from home and not having to go in the office is worth more to me.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

13. Great Asp

Great Asp Well-Known Member Premium Member Established Member

I can't say it better than this:

14. ssssnake

ssssnake LL's MEAN Landlady Established Member

Great news Jason! Take a deep breath and carry on. You'll be alright.

15. IronSnake

IronSnake Beers for the boys Established Member

If I could make 100k+ in my pajamas, I would be ecstatic.

lilcoop03 likes this.
  16. FJohnny

FJohnny Well-Known Member Established Member

Sounds like you being able to do the job is not an issue at all. Congrats on the new deal.

What might be a concern would be if you were too good at your job. Highly capable and motivated people can be prone to getting it done at any cost. That can mean burning the candle at both ends. Not sustainable over the long term. Health and family can suffer.

Setting limits and reserving time for the family and yourself from the beginning is something to consider. The added benefit is that the employer sees a sustained level of performance. They won't misinterpret a fast start and inevitable decline as a person flames out as the employee losing interest or taking advantage.

The new job sounds wonderful for what it can mean to you and your family. A little planning up front will alow you to enjoy and get the most out of your exciting new situation over the longer term.

Again, congrats and all the best to you guys.

17. ZEN357

ZEN357 Active Member Established Member

Congrats! I've started many new job over the years in the I.T. Field. It's starting the new job that should make you nervous, it's keeping it!!!!

18. Outlaw99

Outlaw99 Join us. Moderator Premium Member