Started tearing into the engine today...interesting marking..

ACSVT

1st Ford
Established Member
Today a friend of mine and I started tearing into my engine. I launched a plug, and decided to do it right and timesert all 8 plug holes. As well as take care of some other maintenance things, I figured I might as well pull both heads and freshen everything up.

After we removed the lower intake, I saw this writing on the block....can anyone decipher it? Mike said it may be when the engine was built. The date is March 25,2002 and the truck has a May/02 build month on the door jamb sticker....

here it is...
bb21d0f3.jpg

ACSVT

1st Ford
Established Member
Thats what another member said when I sent him a picture of it haha.

I bought the truck with 13k miles on it, and have all the serve history papers on it from previous owner done at the local Ford dealership. If it's salvage motor, it sure does run good! haha

ACSVT

1st Ford
Established Member
Truck was built in may 02. I assumed it was when the engine was put together. I now have 70k on it, it's fine just thought someone may had seen something similar.

spazzyfry123

Oh Snap!
Established Member
Any possibility of the motor getting fried in those 13k miles before you owned it and got a salvage put in by the previous owner from an earlier Lightning?

ACSVT

1st Ford
Established Member
not that I'm aware of. Previous owner put a magnaflow catback on it and that's it. Engine has been untouched and no signs of a motor swap when I got it. I think it's engine build date maybe? Or the bare blocks being delivered at engine assembly site? I dunno. Truck runs fine and has had a 6lb lower on it for the past 50k miles

qurtrn10

Established Member
Is it a numbers matching truck? Can you find a number on the block to match it to the chassis? That would at least rule out the engine swap.

02REDSVT

alienfreek
Established Member
I have a reman motor in mine and a dead giveaway (after the reman tag of course) is the motor mounts. They look a lot newer than everything else under there...

ACSVT

1st Ford
Established Member
Got this answer from another site...

That writing is from an in-process check that was done when the block was originally machined. "Op.70/80" = operation 70 and 80. I'm not exactly sure which specific machining operations take place at these stations but I've seen that writing many times on the blocks during my years at the engine plant.

203Cree

Established Member
Good to know. And as for the two guys that were talking about tnumber matching, thats on older cars. There is no serial number on our motors

Not a VIN perhaps, but there will still be casting numbers somewhere. It's the only way the factory can track batches of product for QC issues.

ACSVT

1st Ford
Established Member
*update*

Got the heads freshened up, and all 8 plug holes Timecerted with the "big serts"

We have began reassembly, and so far heres what we got.....can't wait to get this thing going again.

c2fa9abf.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread