Starting a business how scared we're you?

triple-s

Established Member
So I've been thinking about starting my own business for awhile now and the only thing that's honestly been holding me back is fear. I fear the business will fail i fear I won't have a steady income for a while I also fear not having health insurance. My question to y'all is what made you finally decided to do it and what hurdles did you have to over come and do you regret it. If there is any basis insight post up. Knowledge is power maybe it won't help me but can maybe help someone else thinking about starting a business of their own.

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right."

Get out there and do it man! Good luck

"Nothing makes me question ALL of my life decisions like SVTP."

Posts and likes are not mine.

Machdup1

Established Member
Just do it, it you have a detailed plan. Be willing to scale back your lifestyle for the first couple of years. If you fail, you will learn valuable lessons for your next business attempt.

If you don’t have a detailed plan, you might want to reconsider your options.

VENOM1

6.0MAN
Established Member
The worst mistake I’ve made professionally was procrastinating on going into business for myself. I won’t sit here and tell you it’s all rainbows and butterflies, but completely worth it.

FJohnny

Established Member
Your own business will likely come with an increase in stress. Be very real with yourself in acknowledging how you typically handle it.

If stress causes you excessive physical (lack of sleep, etc), mental (worry) or behavioral (lash out and become unbearable to family, friends) symptoms you should plan for this and make sure you are prepared.

Bounce your idea off of anyone you can that has a business background. It is easy to fall in love with our own ideas and overlook aspects about the business world that we are not as familiar with. Try not to take advice as criticism of your ideas. Welcome (but not necessarily follow) any offered help.

Things like accounting, insurance, liability, financing, local zoning, licensing and business practice regulations should be looked into and understood ahead of time.

Do your homework, reduce your stress through good planning and make your success more likely. The rewards are great but it will often take a bit more than being very good at a single aspect of the business.

Good luck. You got this.

Stanley

Established Member
Premium Member
All I did was start a home business and kept my day job and that was pretty scary to me. I can't imagine what it's like going all in like that. Like Mach said, have a good detailed plan and kick ass!
Good luck!

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That is scary.

My wife and I started a new business last year, it was stressful but not scary. At the end of the day, knowing that I could close the doors on it and not be financially affected to the point of my lifestyle changing, it's not a big deal.

Russo

Unofficial Glass Tech
Established Member
i went all out 10 years ago. just had our biggest year, 2020 was good to us.

i'd say be willing to accept that you cannot do everything, for example, i have a CPA that reconciles my books each month, pays the 941, and does my quarterly reports and income taxes. sure its expensive, but it keeps me out of jail!

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
Stress will be your new best friend.
However, there are more pros than cons.
Don't be a "Shoulda, woulda, coulda" guy.
Life is short.

coposrv

Established Member
Plan plan plan and plan and when you’re done planning keep looking forward.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
I started my own business nearly 10 years ago and now I can't imagine working for someone else. I was very fortunate that the clients I had followed me instead of the company I was with, so I kind of had a springboard there.

The fear you have is natural. What overcomes that fear is your confidence in the work you do. If your good at your profession and communicate well, you will be in demand. Go for it and don't look back.

**** Inslee, NO MORE MASKS!

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
if you don't have to do it don't listen to people telling you to just do it. it takes a LOT of drive to do your own thing and some people just don't have it. most of what is necessary is internal to who you are. maybe you should but maybe that time isn't right now. I used to think I wanted to run the show or do my own thing but the reality is i just want to sling code, make dollars, and finance my gearhead addiction while providing for my family.

maybe the best place to start is by figuring out exactly why you want to start a business.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Consider starting a part-time business and keep your regular job, until you are very sure that you can, or want to, cut the cord and move the part-time business to full-time. That isn't always possible or practical, but it's a safe way of setting up and operating a business without taking on all of the liabilities/responsibilities right away. I started my own part-time business 17 years ago. I still do it part-time, and it's all fun. Enjoyable. For me, that has worked best. It supplements my income rather than being my primary income.

PC03GT

Established Member
My Father in law and I had our own business in my early 20's, it's a huge undertaking. You have to have some big ass balls and whether whatever comes your way.

With that being said if you're successful it's 100% worth it

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
While being a business owner can be very rewarding sometimes it’s just easier to work for someone else and leave work behind at the end of the day when you’re done.

Owning your own business is a 24/7 gig. You won’t be able to just turn it off an forget it if you want to do something, especially the first year or two depending on what you’re doing. You get out what you put into it. Hard work and dedication is key.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
I won’t sit here and tell you it’s all rainbows and butterflies, but completely worth it.

100% true. I took the leap of faith 8 years ago. I have no days off, am attached to my phone or PC most awake hours of the day, constantly have stress or worry about X, Y, and Z but at the end of the day it's all worth it. I can't see myself ever working for somebody else again

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
I was terrified. Both times. Bought a color colortyme franchise in 2005 with a good friend. I let him buy me out in 2007.

2014 I started a real estate business. Really struggled first few years. Hardest I have ever worked, but all of that paid off and I'm doing well.

I will never punch a time clock again. Ever. Working your ads off for yourself is 100000x better than for someone else.

Sent from my SM-G986U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

tistan

Established Member
I had 3 years expenses in the bank when I started my business. That helped eliminate the fear and stress of not having steady income. Of course being in home building and construction under that commie, Muslim, bastard, cockeater, Obama, helped me learn to live without a steady paycheck. This year my goal is to quit building for clients and go full time real estate development and investing by next year.

Users who are viewing this thread