Starting a business. What do you guys think?

Big Top GT

Jackstand Racer
Established Member
Hey guys,

After more than 10 years of ownership and even more within the Mustang community, I've decided I'm tired of working for the man and that it's time to do something on my own. (Well, with my partner John, anyway.)

I'm in the process of getting a composites company off the ground specializing in the manufacture of Carbon Fiber pieces for enthusiast automobiles. (I don't have a single bit of product to sell right now, so this isn't some kind of covert attempt to sell product, but once I get everything set up, I'll obviously explore advertiser status.)

We won't be looking to do much in the way of direct sales, so we'll be seeking vendor partnerships with established companies already in the enthusiast market.

Anyway, the reason for this post is to solicit the wisdom of crowds as I seek advice. Are there things you'd like to see brought to market? Things you've seen in other places, but don't love the quality?

Right now, we're prototyping some SN95 stuff, since I've owned the same Mustang for almost 9 years now. (S197 parts are next on the list.)

In fact, here's an SN95 Mustang bezel in progress. Once I can get it completely finished and in my car, I'll take some installed pictures and see what you guys think. (this is for my personal car, the only pieces we've actually manufactured so far, and are not currently for sale.)

IMAG0874.jpg

SN95Bezelinprogress.jpg

SN95BezelPhaseTrimmed.jpg

IMAG0878.jpg

We've even been messing with a Clock Pod. :D

IMAG0886.jpg

As always, if you guys have any advice to share with me as I get this thing off the ground, I'd be eternally grateful.

Thanks again for 10+ years of awesomeness. Here's to the next ten!

Alan

SHOdown220

Established Member
Honestly I feel like the carbon fiber trend (except of course in performance applications) has been over used and is going out of style quickly if not already. I would try to come up with something different and a new idea rather than jumping on an idea that has already been used for years. Goodluck in any path you take!

Last edited:

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
Honestly I feel like the carbon fiber trend (except of course in performance applications) has been over used and is going out of style quickly if not already. I would try to come up with something different and a new idea rather than jumping on an idea that has already been used for years. Goodluck in any path you take!

+1 Good advice here

Orange Dreamer

Established Member
If I still had my Cobra I would want your products. The CF market has died down some but it is definitely still strong to start a business on I would think.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Doesnt sound very profitable until you can start supplying to oem's. IE some company gives you a drawing of a part, says they need 300 and you produce. Low quantity high labor pieces for a limited market doesnt sound like a good combo imo.

Sent from my iPhail using Tapatalk while doing 90 on the freeway and streetracing through traffic. What now?

Big Top GT

Jackstand Racer
Established Member
In surveying the environment, there aren't many companies that offer Carbon Fiber products. The ones who do are generally importing it from overseas, which tends to deliver a low grade product in terms of quality.

Honestly, I think the reason you don't see more of it is because it's simply not available to enough people through enough channels.

Personally, I've always been on the lookout for quality CF pieces for my cars. Unfortunately, there simply weren't any places to get the parts I wanted.

Regarding Hydro-screening: while the low cost offers a strong value for a similar look, that isn't a market we'd be interested in entering.

I'm a proud guy, so the absolute last thing I would want to endure would be the personal embarrassment of someone asking me "hey, is that carbon fiber?" and me having to say "No, it's just a print painted on my trim pieces."

If there's one thing we can all agree on, it's that few things look as great as a shiny piece of Carbon Fiber in a really nice car. :drool:

Thanks for the feedback guys. It's all valued and taken to heart. :)

Last edited:

Instigator99

427 whaaaaat?
Established Member
Personally I'm a cf junkie. One of the few things that really bother me about my Cobra is how boring the interior is. I would love full cf interior trim. Oh and fog light covers. And front lip, and COBRA letters for the rear bumper. Like I said...cf junkie.

-Eric

SM0KE

SVT God
Established Member
I guess I'm the minority, being that I don't care for the look of carbon fiber at all.

I think you've got a cool idea for a business though...good luck w/ it!

Quik Z06

Established Member
Big Top GT I'll send you a PM. If you're looking for Vendors let me know. I am a Vendor on the Corvette Forum if you are interested in making parts for me. I'll shoot you a PM with some details.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Water dip doesn't have the depth of real Carbon Fiber. It looks cheap.

Yes it does.

This project has been done before by quite a few outfits. The cost to get a true quality part drives the prices up quite a bit and most Mustang owners simply won't put that kind of cash into non-performance parts.

Big Top GT

Jackstand Racer
Established Member
PM replied! :)

Thanks for the well wishes, guys.

Personally I'm a cf junkie. One of the few things that really bother me about my Cobra is how boring the interior is. I would love full cf interior trim. Oh and fog light covers. And front lip, and COBRA letters for the rear bumper. Like I said...cf junkie.

-Eric

No one understands your addiction better than I do, Eric. :D

In fact, I just sold a full carbon fiber roof from my Lotus Exige last week. That thing was around $3500 when it was new, INCREDIBLY light, and looked amazing. :eek:

I also had CF side scoops, a CF center console, CF mirror covers, door pulls, etc...

It's like crack, only cheaper. (or so I hear.) Ha!

Anyway, once we're in a position to try to earn your business, I'll drop you a line directly.

Until then, keep the shiny side up and the rubber to the road.

Alan

Quik Z06

Established Member
Yes it does.

This project has been done before by quite a few outfits. The cost to get a true quality part drives the prices up quite a bit and most Mustang owners simply won't put that kind of cash into non-performance parts.

I have to disagree. I have seen high quality hydrocarbon pieces first hand and they look nothing like true carbon. After it's all said and done, you don't pay too much more for a true carbon piece and it's real carbon not a fake painted piece. Lol, trust me I have been in the business for a lot of years, and sold many carbon pieces over the years. Not to mention most guy's hate it when someone asks if it's true carbon and you have to say no it's fake. I get asked a lot if my parts are true carbon.

Big Top GT

Jackstand Racer
Established Member
I have to disagree. I have seen high quality hydrocarbon pieces first hand and they look nothing like true carbon. After it's all said and done, you don't pay too much more for a true carbon piece and it's real carbon not a fake painted piece. Lol, trust me I have been in the business for a lot of years, and sold many carbon pieces over the years. Not to mention most guy's hate it when someone asks if it's true carbon and you have to say no it's fake. I get asked a lot if my parts are true carbon.

Did he mean the hydro-screening was tried before or that real carbon fiber is ultimately too expensive and the mustang market won't adopt it in a broad sense?

I read it to mean the latter, but I completely disagree, as well.

One of the things that have me, as well as a great many others, annoyed with "the system" these days is having maximum profit extracted from them at the time of sale.

Our business model includes a pricing strategy that's going to put us at a little more than the overseas imported goods, but not so incredibly priced that it isolates all but the most hard-core carbon fiber enthusiasts.

The quality will be night and day better AND we're going to support the entire product line with a Lifetime Warranty against manufacturing defect for the original purchaser.

So, a more reasonable profit margin on our end, as a business, translates to more product on the market at a fair price on your end, as an enthusiast.

Wait until we make our first Carbon Fiber bath tub, too. :D

Last edited:

boatcop1

Established Member
That stuff looks sweet. I havent seen the dipped stuff before so I cannot comment but if I was ready to do some interior enhancments than CF would be the way to go. Good luck with your venture!

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
I think you will be thinking about how you wish you didn't think about thinking about opening up a business later down the road when you're sitting there thinking about it.

Now that I think about it, you probably won't think about it because you are asking us to think about it for you.

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
I like CF to a tasteful extent. I don't like to over do it but I think the right pieces can set off a car

Users who are viewing this thread