Starting a car that's been sitting for 21 plus years...

Mr Rx-7 tt

Established Member
I'm going to start up a car that's been sitting in a dry garage for 21 years. I cracked the fuel tank plug and the gas obviously smelled like turpentine but wasn't gummy at all. The brakes worked fine, good pedal pressure but I'm a bit worried the calipers and slave may be dry rotted or with use will fail. I think I'll replace the brake slave and rebuild the calipers. I'm going to pull the radiator, have it checked and flushed. I'm going to rebuild the carb as well.

So all new fluids, brakes, grease the joints, new plugs and tune up and depending on the tank, flush it. Removing the tank requires engine removal...

Any other thoughts?

Thanks

tistan

Established Member
I would probably pour some mystery oil or something similar in the cylinders and turn it over by hand a few time.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
Make sure the water pump isn't frozen. I went through that recently with a 57 Thunderbird that hadn't ran in 40 years.

Dsg-shaker

American Slothstronaut!
Established Member
Do the basics, the car has been sitting

-Check and see if the engine can turn over by hand, also a compression test if you can. Check if you can if it will build oil pressure and any major leaks, I suggest new oil and filter before starting!

If that checks, next step is checking the ignition system, new plug wires and check the cap and points for glazing (if it's has a traditional system) replace as needed. Check battery cables and wires that supply the ignition system, critters love to chew on wires...

Fuel.... Here's what can get you scratching your head. Pull and clean the carb (if it's not equipped with fuel injection) and rebuild the carburetor. Varnish blocks jets and circults and will lead to the engine to run rough or a no start.

Also while the carb is off to check down the intake for any critters that may have made a home, if you can check the manifolds for the same.

Check the cooling system for hoses that rotted/collapsed and leaks, it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace the t-stat if you plan on using the car soon.

Note: this is just to aid in starting the car, not making it dd worthy.

TL;DR having a good turning over engine fuel, compression and ignition is the key!

Edit: if you say the fuel system is full of bad fuel I would run a external fuel line from the fuel pump to a small gas can with fresh fuel to avoid pulling any dirty fuel/varnish in during the start up.

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
I am going to assume that it has a 351 Ford in it. Pour a quart of engine oil into both valve covers to lubricate the top end. Fill the engine to the full mark. Pull the plugs and squirt a generous amount of oil in to each cylinder. Don't turn the engine over yet. Remove the distributor and use a pre-lube tool to spin the oil pump. Make sure you have oil at the pressure sensor and that it's getting to the top end. I just use a small penlight to peek down the oil filler cap and make sure that oil is dripping out from under the rocker arms. It may take 30 seconds or more of spinning the oil pump with a drill before oil reaches the top end.
The you can spin the engine with the starter motor (install the distributor first).
Put an old towel in front of each spark plug hole to soak up the oil that will be thrown out.
And as previous people have said, new coolant, thermostat, hoses, fresh carb, new plugs.
It should then start safely.

Machdup1

Established Member
Detomaso Pantera

I would go beyond the basics and take that classic by a really good mechanic for a full inspection and maintenance. If the engine catches fire or grenades because you missed something you might regret not going that extra mile.

BTW, Pantera FTW.

Dsg-shaker

American Slothstronaut!
Established Member
I am going to assume that it has a 351 Ford in it. Pour a quart of engine oil into both valve covers to lubricate the top end. Fill the engine to the full mark. Pull the plugs and squirt a generous amount of oil in to each cylinder. Don't turn the engine over yet. Remove the distributor and use a pre-lube tool to spin the oil pump. Make sure you have oil at the pressure sensor and that it's getting to the top end. I just use a small penlight to peek down the oil filler cap and make sure that oil is dripping out from under the rocker arms. It may take 30 seconds or more of spinning the oil pump with a drill before oil reaches the top end.
The you can spin the engine with the starter motor (install the distributor first).
Put an old towel in front of each spark plug hole to soak up the oil that will be thrown out.
And as previous people have said, new coolant, thermostat, hoses, fresh carb, new plugs.
It should then start safely.

Cannot stress this enough!

Mr Rx-7 tt

Established Member
What's the story behind the car? Had it always been yours? Why was it sitting for so long?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
The car is my buddies. He purchased it after he sold his Boss 351 back in the mid 70's after high school. The car has very low mileage and has been just sitting in the garage. Another friend of mine just sold this 74 GTS for a hefty chunk of change to this place:

'+alt+'

So I called up my buddy to tell him about the Butterscotch GTS sale and told him we should "revive" his Pantera. He agreed so I went and looked at it and he and I put a list together. Were going to knock it out over the next couple months and get it road worthy.

Last edited:

Mr Rx-7 tt

Established Member
Looking for a carb rebuild kit, you can find kits but they all say not for Pantera...

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
Subscribing. My father has a 6k mile '72 vette that has not been started in 30 years

Users who are viewing this thread