Steeda Firewall Adj. Issue

silvercoffin

Established Member
I just realized that Steeda now has a locking firewall adjuster. When I bought mine a year ago I called them concerned about the fact that there is no locking bolt in its design. They said thats the way they were making them.

Every time I make a run I notice that there is more slack in the cable. I wonder if this could be part of my shifting woes. Even a few hard passes on the street yesterday to see if I could get into 3rd quickly resulted in almost no space to a little less than 1/4 inch space at the firewall.

I dont know if that can make enough of a difference to cause shifting problems though.

SHould I complain to Steeda? or just buy a fiore adjuster? Bothers me that I bought a steeda adjuster and they obviously changed the design back to a locking unit for a reason.

silvercoffin

Established Member

Yeah...

I wont have it by sunday and I want to run the car at Etowns Street Wars

I think im going to wrap a piece of electrical tape around the threads and tighten it down over th tape. Also marked it with a marker.

03 Whippled Cobra

Established Member
I don't know much about the Steeda's. Does it just turn freely? There is no set screw? Just tape it and mark it this weekend while the Fiore is being delivered. :rolling:

silvercoffin

Established Member

Yup steeda and no lock in the design at all. I called after noticing that at the time the picture on the net had an allen screw lock. They said it was too hard to get to and they did away with it. Since then I have had shifting issues and I cant help but wonder if the cable loosening slightly during the run is resulting in difficult shifts when I am driving the car at wot.

Would explain why it will shift on the street at high rpms but give me problems at WOT.

I emailed Steeda and asked if they would exchange my old one for the better design. I told them I will be going with another brand if they are unwilling to help me out. I doubt they will but its worth asking.

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
I really don't remember mine being that hard to get to. I'll go take a look at it in a few, but I remember putting in the adjuster and quadrant in and had it adusted in about an hour.

silvercoffin

Established Member

What kind of screw hold it in?

ON the steeda kit it comes with hex bolts that you need to use a socket set for and it takes forever to get to them very difficult even with swivels.

2004Serpent

Established Member
just a cheap set screw that puts preassure on a sleeve, on mine a added 3 additional set screws for a total of 4 cause even with one it would spin on me

silvercoffin

Established Member
info

No I mean what kind of mounting screws does the fiore and other kits come with?

The steeda came with two bolts that you need to ratchet in and its real hard to get a socket to them because of everything in the way. Im wondering if Fiore comes with mounting bolts that can be screwed in or if they all are so hard to mount.

03 Whippled Cobra

Established Member
Fiore comes with 4 screws. You can get 2 of them in easily. You can get a third one in with some time and effort, like 5 minutes taking your time. You cannot get all four in unless you remove your valve cover, but they tell you that at the bottom of the instructions. I have three screws in mine and it is mounted solidly. That is how most have theirs.

Mike

Last edited:

silvercoffin

Established Member

so you use a screw driver? Thats my question... the steeda is in with two bolts and seems solid but it is rediculously hard to get to them with a socket

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
so you use a screw driver? Thats my question... the steeda is in with two bolts and seems solid but it is rediculously hard to get to them with a socket

I cheated...I just got a set of different screws so I could use a screw driver....I wasn't about to deal with those screw! I taped it with a screw gun with a long extension, and put them in the same way...easy.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Of the two, IMO the Fiore is the better choice. In part for the reason stated above. It's a solid piece.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
I had one of the original Steeda adjusters. They said to use a dab of silicone seal to lock it down, but it still moved (I scribed a line across both pieces immediately after adjustment to verify).

I'm using the Fiore FTW.

Users who are viewing this thread