Steeda shifter installed

DRIVINGLESSON

Established Member
I installed my Steeda shifter and JHR bracket today. The installation was easy, with just two areas requiring a little effort. First, the removal of the bracket under the car is a little difficult due to a retainer clip. After removing both nuts, I pulled the driver’s side down and then twisted the bracket off the shifter housing. From there, I just pulled straight down and the bracket came off. The retainer will need to be unscrewed and it will come off. The second area requiring a little patience is the boot. I started by trying to install the boot around the shifter base and between the reverse lock-out and shifter tab. It became apparent to me that this is the mistake that I think a lot of people are making. The boot needs to go around the base of the shifter and the outside of the reverse lock-out bracket. Those are the two areas that I found one will need to be patient and observant with. It is also important to point out that when installing the shifter, one will need to ensure proper spacing between the reverse lock-out and the tab on the shifter. I used a screwdriver to position the shifter as far to the right as possible while tightening the shifter bolts.
Concerning the quality of the JHR bracket and the Steeda shifter, they are both really nicely constructed, and I am very pleased with their quality. As far as the feel of the new shifter, I really didn’t notice too much of a difference at first, and was a little disappointed. Then I took it on a 20 mile drive and started to feel the difference. The throw is slightly shorter, but it’s not night-and-day different from the stock throw. The reverse lock-out spring requires a lot more effort, and that will take a little time to get use to. I think I was expecting the shifter to decrease the notchey effort to get into gear, but it didn’t. After reading a lot of reviews from other members, I think that will be fixed by changing the transmission fluid. What the shifter did do and I really enjoyed on my test drive was increase my shifting confidence. I knew exactly what gear I was in, and how to get to any of them without thought. I have read others post that reverse and first are too close, and that the 2-3 shift is straight up, but that is not the case with this shifter. I personally heel-and-toe when I drive, and there is no problem with that at all. All-in-all, I am happy and without buyer’s remorse. If I had it to do over, or someone would ask for my opinion, I would suggest waiting for the MGW or choose the Barton. That may sound bad for the Steeda, but it’s not; I was just hoping for a shorter throw. The Steeda is nice, and if it is installed correctly, it will not disappoint. If someone is wanting to save a little money, I would recommend the JHR shifter based on the quality of their bracket’s construction.

Pics to come if interested.

98ss88mm

Established Member
Been on the waiting list for two months, got tired of waiting.

WORD.

Anyways, tri ax/steeda bracket with amsoil trans fluid here. I like it, not a fan of the barton. But as stated, the shifts arent really much shorter and the trans still feels notchy at times which to me isnt a concernt at all. (NEVER driven a performance car that didnt have a notchy trans esp with an aftermarket shifter)

+1 for steeda imo

Users who are viewing this thread