• PRO 5.0

Votes: 63 48.8%
  • OTHER

Votes: 22 17.1%

• Total voters

Buddy

Established Member
Originally posted by mike79
For everyone using the Pro 5.0 and the MGW handle...are you using the stock shift knob or an aftermarket one?????

I'm to install the Pro 5.0 and MGW with the stock knob this weekend. If it's not good, I will order a MGW knob I've picked out.

Annihil8or

Got Fever?
Established Member
Originally posted by mike79
For everyone using the Pro 5.0 and the MGW handle...are you using the stock shift knob or an aftermarket one?????

I am using the MGW "Cobra" T-Knob with the adjustable handle on my Pro 5.0 & I love that setup. I don't know that one knob is any better than another, it's just a matter of personal preference.

arizona302

Established Member
Can't compare cause I haven't driven both. I installed the tri-ax yesterday. Huge difference!! Finally I can power-shift with no fear of missing a gear. That steeda piece is tight - gotta love the feel versus the stock junk. I swear Ford has a deal with these aftermarket companies.

[Ford] "Okay so we'll put one a POS shifter at the plant and you offer a solid replacement piece - just kick back some dollars to us."
;-)

Buddy

Established Member
Originally posted by Buddy
I'm to install the Pro 5.0 and MGW with the stock knob this weekend. If it's not good, I will order a MGW knob I've picked out.

The install produces the results I wanted: shorter, solid shifts with no vague second to third. rubbery movement of the factory shifter. The MGW handle's rubber gasket takes care of the vibes. Very little increase in total noise. The factory knob works / fits great. A great package.

Next: clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster

Last edited:

SWEET03COBRA

Established Member
where is the cheapest place to buy a pro 5.0. I need 2 of them, one for my 03 cobra and one for my brother 01 bullit (gift).

Buddy

Established Member
Originally posted by SWEET94COBRA
where is the cheapest place to buy a pro 5.0. I need 2 of them, one for my 03 cobra and one for my brother 01 bullit (gift).

I purchased mine @ www.stangsuspensions.com for $179.99 including shipping; good folks to do business with. I believe there is a post in this thread which quoted $170...not sure about the shipping though.

akaeric

Established Member
I had The Tri-ax after the Hurst in my 2003 the Hurst was a more shore footed shifter the Tri was a good shifter but a little mushy in third I like to feel the gears when shifting I had more bounce grind in third with the tri if you know what I mean or uyou may call it a kick back becauce tird was soft and it was not the stop bolts I checked them twice.
In my 2004 I have the Pro 5.0 and I used the stock it has a nice thick rubber insulator and the stock bolts torked nice and tight. I have that adjustable handle I forgot what you call it you know with the blue base and I found out is to make it as long as the stock you would have to pull it out so much it was pass the bolts so I couldn't tighting it. The good thing about using the stock handle is there is no weak spots no bolts to come loose and it goes togther just like stock and I doubt the dealership could tell that the shifter has been changed. Anyway thats what I have is the pro5.0 with stock handle and I highly recommand this shifter as I said I have had the Hurst and Tri-ax and the pro 5.0 is a better shifter.

svtxchinoy

Established Member
I saw one person had the Kirban shifter. Anyone else try this one? This unit looks pretty solid and I like to try something different.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I saw a Kirban shifter about a year ago. It isn't very common on the Terminator but IS popular on the Vettes. It is a great shifter. As is the Pro 5.0.

Metro1

Established Member
svt46sc said:
I think your biggest problem is the way the factory clutch is adjusted. Every '03/'04 Cobra I've driven (and I've driven quite a few) seems like the clutch doesn't totally disengage. Get an aftermarket clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster (UPR, Steeda, etc.) and you will notice a WORLD of difference. I did everything short of the quadrant and firewall adj. in my '03 and nothing really helped. Switching to Mobil 1 ATF helped a tad, but trust me. Get the firewall adjuster. The stock shifter is about as tall as a truck shifter and just as vague feeling, so you should definitely get a new shifter too. This time around I'm going to take my own advice and get a Pro50 shifter and put a Tri-ax handle on it.

All are good shifters, but some stand out more then others. banana:

Last edited:

Metro1

Established Member
svt46sc said:
I think your biggest problem is the way the factory clutch is adjusted. Every '03/'04 Cobra I've driven (and I've driven quite a few) seems like the clutch doesn't totally disengage. Get an aftermarket clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster (UPR, Steeda, etc.) and you will notice a WORLD of difference. I did everything short of the quadrant and firewall adj. in my '03 and nothing really helped. Switching to Mobil 1 ATF helped a tad, but trust me. Get the firewall adjuster. The stock shifter is about as tall as a truck shifter and just as vague feeling, so you should definitely get a new shifter too. This time around I'm going to take my own advice and get a Pro50 shifter and put a Tri-ax handle on it.

Try a MGW shifter with blue or red handel you will love it. :banana:

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
When I bought the cobra the previous owner had installed a Pro 5.0 w/ a tri-ax handle. I didn't care for it at all, it was very notchy and stiff. I had a MGW that I had bought while I was waiting for the cobra, I installed that the other day....OMG what I difference. This really is a piece of art!!!! The shifts are soooo crisp and smooth.....and quiet!!!!!

Last edited:

samill2

sell? keep? sell? keep?
Established Member
Juiced-03 said:
I've heard many stories of people who have had the Tri-ax actually switch over to a Pro 5.0. I have heard of missing shifts with the Steeda but never with the Pro 5.0. I felt my buddy's Pro last night and OMG what a difference. I am so jealous right now. I feel ashamed of sticking with the stock unit for almost 2 years now!!! Damn the Pro 5.0 will be my next mod. It felt crisp and positive. It even felt much better than my Steeda in my 01 Cobra. Mustang X has the best price on them!

What's Mustand X? Thanks.

fatcobra

Established Member
just installed a pro5.0 in mine today, and I love it. My buddy has a triax, and it is good, but alittle noisy, the Pro5.0 with the cobra bob shift gaskets is very quiet (my buddy with the triax is using my spare top gasket that came with my gaskets) I have to say that the throws are close, but i just like the feel of my Pro5.0 better.

Fast Willy

Established Member
I like the steeda much better. It seems as if withthe 5.0 shifter the throw is almost 2 short and i want to push it threw the gear. But I guess thats just what im use to.

Users who are viewing this thread