Steering wheel sounds

04mellowyellow

Ford Nut
Established Member
Just started today. When I tug back and forth on the steering wheel I get a creek sound. Kind of sounds like an old door closing. It does it whether or not I have the car running. Sound is coming from the engine bay. I can't tell if the sound is right on the fire wall or down lower near the end of the steering shaft.. Any ideas?

Last edited:

kaboom

Yea it's a 03 now shut up
Established Member
Do a search on the word creak in the terminator forum. Enjoy see you in 2 weeks.

Mike_Hawk

Too Much Juice
Established Member
I have it right now. It's annoying and makes the car sound cheap :bored:

It's going to the dealer after it gets dynoed this Saturday.

drkchk03svt

Established Member
Mike_Hawk said:
I have it right now. It's annoying and makes the car sound cheap :bored:

It's going to the dealer after it gets dynoed this Saturday.

It is cheap man.... its a Ford! :) Get used to it.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
I have it on mine too, but it doesn't happen all the time. I have taken it twice to the dealership to complain, but I can't seem to get it to happen when I am there....:shrug:

Mr. Freeze

Established Member
i have taken mine in to the dealer twice for the creak and they really didnt give me a explaination of what exactly it was, but it has not come up again.

03 Zinc Rocket

Established Member
I have the creek in my steering also. My car is at the dealer now and they said that they have replace a bracket on the steering. There is a TSB out on it.

Kovachian

Me vs. Earth
Established Member
I've got the same problem on a 96. Evidently Ford hasn't learned anything after all these years. They can't do anything right.

ViciousJay

Established Member
its the intermidiate shaft.... I worked at Chevy and they had the same problems u need to disconnect it and lube the shaft joints, also check ur power steering pump

cgg074

Established Member
It is the rack bolt spacers that creak against the K-member.

Just tack weld the spacers to the K-member on both sides (Click for instructions) or take it to the dealer, there is a new TSB for it.

Last edited:

04mellowyellow

Ford Nut
Established Member
Thanks for all the advice. Not sure what direction I wil go. I do know that I will not be taking the car to a dealer after all the horror stories I hear on these boards.

cobra4ever

Established Member
My creak has turned into as much of a grinding rattle as it is a creak. Through research here and polling mustang suspension gurus I am replacing the lower control arms because it seems that the problem is related to the LCA bushings and/or ball joints. Just when you think that you've found the problem......

CobrABoZ

Established Member
and i thought i was the only one omg there like 100 of us lol so will the dealer fix it? and is it something they can do rather fast.

Users who are viewing this thread