Steve McQueen and 05 Stang?

rezcobra

Established Member
Probably not, at age 74 he would have gone for the Ford GT, or a Cadillac CTS-V with an auto, and a chauffer. McQueen had a 1967 Mustang GT and had the drivetrain removed and a 396 big block Chevy with a Muncie 4 speed installed!!! Just a l;ittle trivia.:)

Last edited:

CobraKindaGuy

Established Member
You just don't get it....it is the bringing together again of two great legends. It's a classy commercial and hits the mark.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
I'm sure most of you are too young to remember when Bullit was first out. If so, I hope you all have had a chance to see it. But Steve McQueen had his roots in racing much deeper than that. He was one of the owners of Ontario Motor Speedway in Southern California. For those of you who can remember that facility...or were lucky enough to get to run there...it was one of the finest racing facilities in the world. When the price of real estate began to go through the roof there, his partners tried to close the place and sell it to developers. Steve McQueen always said no and kept it open. It was gone immediately after his death.

The add brings together a class individual with what may be a classic vehicle. It may be the best new car add I've ever seen. It's too bad they didn't think of it when the Bullit Mustang came out...that would have been something.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
I have TIVO with Directv. They had a short spot the other day on the making of that add. Did you guys know that Ford actually had that track built for that add? Absolutely true. The farmer wanted the track, so he went out with his combine and cut the corn, then Ford hired a contractor to build the 3/4 mile track just for that add. Amazing.

Now, please excuse me for a bit while I go look for a corn field to buy. Then I gotta make a call to Ford.....

Cobrahandler

Established Member
Combining "Field Of Dreams", "Bullitt", and the '05 Mustang was a great marketing idea.

Hats off to the Marketing guys who thought up that one! :bowdown:

fordification

Established Member
rezcobra said:
McQueen had a 1967 Mustang GT and had the drivetrain removed and a 396 big block Chevy with a Muncie 4 speed installed!!! Just a l;ittle trivia.:)

WHAAAAAA!!

Link for verification?
That would be thoroughly disappointing, and also change my opinion about Steve McQueen.

HotRodHarry

Life is short,Live it up!
Established Member
I love it!!! I watch it over and over on my computer. Definitely gets you hooked..along with the American Dream one I have posted in the Road Side Pub area here.

Blk_C5_FRC

Established Member
CobraKindaGuy said:
You just don't get it....it is the bringing together again of two great legends. It's a classy commercial and hits the mark.

I think that is probably one of the best car commercials Ive ever seen. Sad part, is when it played on Thanksgiving during the football game, and sitting around the tube with a bunch of people, some got the Field of Dreams reference, but nobody got the Bullitt part. Great commercial, but over alot of heads...

BTW, I also like the exhaust/engine notes playing the Star Spangled Banner.. Props to Ford for some creative commercials.

91mini

Hope to get an 05 soon
Established Member
Blk_C5_FRC said:
BTW, I also like the exhaust/engine notes playing the Star Spangled Banner.. Props to Ford for some creative commercials.

I didn't see that one. Is there a site where one could see all the commercial for the 05 and possibly download them also?

CobraKindaGuy

Established Member
Blk_C5_FRC said:
I think that is probably one of the best car commercials Ive ever seen. Sad part, is when it played on Thanksgiving during the football game, and sitting around the tube with a bunch of people, some got the Field of Dreams reference, but nobody got the Bullitt part. Great commercial, but over alot of heads...

The people who don't make the connection are more than likely that part of the market segment that only view cars as being something to drive from point A to point B anyhow. So being over their heads isn't going to matter one way or another because they can care less whether what they drive is a Mustang or some bucket of scrap cheap Chevy Cavalier.

The advertisement is targeting car buffs who would know about the association of the Mustang with Steve McQueen in the movie Bullit. This part of the market segment would certainly be appealed to by the nostalgia of the "Feld of Dreams" and Steve McQueen.

They are the ones most likely to want to purchase the RETRO look given that the current age of the Mustang is 40 years and the car upto 2004 had essentially reached its design pinnacle with nowhere else to go. It was a perfect time for FORD to go RETRO and nostalgic advertising fits the bill perfectly given the market segment being targeted.

The advertise did not miss its mark by any stretch..it was a home run for Ford.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
CobraKindaGuy said:
The people who don't make the connection are more than likely that part of the market segment that only view cars as being something to drive from point A to point B anyhow. So being over their heads isn't going to matter one way or another because they can care less whether what they drive is a Mustang or some bucket of scrap cheap Chevy Cavalier.

The advertisement is targeting car buffs who would know about the association of the Mustang with Steve McQueen in the movie Bullit. This part of the market segment would certainly be appealed to by the nostalgia of the "Feld of Dreams" and Steve McQueen.

They are the ones most likely to want to purchase the RETRO look given that the current age of the Mustang is 40 years and the car upto 2004 had essentially reached its design pinnacle with nowhere else to go. It was a perfect time for FORD to go RETRO and nostalgic advertising fits the bill perfectly given the market segment being targeted.

The advertise did not miss its mark by any stretch..it was a home run for Ford.

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

I couldn't have said it any better. :beer:
My son who's 26 years old had never even heard of the movie Bullit. I couldn't believe it! I must have been a BAD father... :nono: So yesterday I went to the store to see if I could find a copy on DVD for him. They had half a dozen in stock and said they were flying out of the store. The add must have brought back a lot of fond memories for those of us who were there for the original. And in my son's case...maybe it generated enough interest in the younger generation to see the icon of America's first and greatest car chase!

grandestang

Exponentially
Established Member
rezcobra said:
Probably not, at age 74 he would have gone for the Ford GT, or a Cadillac CTS-V with an auto, and a chauffer. McQueen had a 1967 Mustang GT and had the drivetrain removed and a 396 big block Chevy with a Muncie 4 speed installed!!! Just a l;ittle trivia.:)

Are you talking about the Mustang GT from the movie Bullitt?? Or was this McQueen's personal car?

If you're talking about the movie, sorry but your trivia is flat out wrong. The car in the movie was equipped with a Ford 390 big block.

Paul

rezcobra

Established Member
grandestang said:
Are you talking about the Mustang GT from the movie Bullitt?? Or was this McQueen's personal car?

If you're talking about the movie, sorry but your trivia is flat out wrong. The car in the movie was equipped with a Ford 390 big block.

Paul

McQueen liked hp like any car buff. And as you mentioned the 67 GT (that was my very first car in 1973) only came with a 390 as the ultimate engine. McQueen loved the Mustang GT's body but didn't care for the lackluster 390, thus the only alternative for some real nasty hp was the Chevy big block. He had his "personal" GT, not the car in the movie, converted to a Chevy drivetrain. Because of the 390's lack of performance the 1968 Mustang GT came available with a 428 with super Cobra Jet heads. That car was top dog in the 1320 back then with a 4 speed top loader and 3:90 gearing.

Clevorguy

Established Member
FireRed04Vert said:
I have TIVO with Directv. They had a short spot the other day on the making of that add. Did you guys know that Ford actually had that track built for that add? Absolutely true. The farmer wanted the track, so he went out with his combine and cut the corn, then Ford hired a contractor to build the 3/4 mile track just for that add. Amazing.

Now, please excuse me for a bit while I go look for a corn field to buy. Then I gotta make a call to Ford.....

I read an article from Ford explaining the track. They paid the farmer for his land service basically. The built the track, filmed, then tore it out and replanted the corn per the agreement with the farmer.

Users who are viewing this thread