Stock '18 2.7 Ecoboost vs Stock '04 Lightning

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I haven't done really any homework on the differences between the 2.7 and 3.5. I've always assumed they use the same block at least. And with the added displacement, I figure the turbos are probably bigger on the 3.5's. Given that Ford uses the 3.5 in Raptors and GT's, logic would tend to show (in my brain anyway) that the 3.5 is in a better position to handle more abuse one way or another. Therefore, it surprises me any time someone mentions the 2.7 being a tank. One of my tuners even said he's never seen one go nuclear due to modding. Wish I could play with mine, but since it's technically a company vehicle, I'm not even allowed to change the oil myself.

thelastsumurai

Established Member
I have a fusion Sport with the 2.7 engine. It cranks, stock. Beats my 16 Ecoboost Mustang, and I have many Chrysler kills under my belt. I have not been beaten on the street so far. On the track in the 1/4 I'd lose but on the street, from the git it leaps ahead of everything (all wheel drive). Some Sport owners run low 12's with just a tune.

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
I just unloaded my 2015 2.7 with a second leaking oil pan and oil leaking out the side of the drivers head gasket. I was quoted $4500 to fix it. Other than that, not a bad choice.

Talleywacker

Established Member
3.5 is no joke but no chance in hell your going to make 600+ where a whipple coyote will make easily into the 800s.

Whipple 5.0 is the only way to go period. I have the 3.5 now but my next truck is going to be the 5.0 and the whipple will go on day one

V6&V8SHO

Established Member
I have a fusion Sport with the 2.7 engine. It cranks, stock. Beats my 16 Ecoboost Mustang, and I have many Chrysler kills under my belt. I have not been beaten on the street so far. On the track in the 1/4 I'd lose but on the street, from the git it leaps ahead of everything (all wheel drive). Some Sport owners run low 12's with just a tune.

Just a tune maybe high 12s. My FS went 12.6 with tune and intercooler.

blkvenm97

Established Member
I haven't posted in a long time on here just been lurking lol. This thread prompted a response. The lightnings (especially an 04) should run high 13s at 100+ but it depends on traction, da, etc. Do these 2.7s run that quick stock? I know the new rcsb 5.0s with the 10 speed run like 13.3 at 103 stock (bounces off the limiter) and can run 12s with a tune so can the 3.5. I have no doubt these ecoboost engines can do some great things....and you may in fact be able to run very well against a stock lightning under the right configuration (the lighter, not 6k pound truck version of the 2.7tt) but the way you describe beating him bad makes me think something isnt 100% with the lightning. If the intercooler pump is indeed messed up that can obviously cause iats and stuff to skyrocket hurting power badly. To beat a stock lightning by as much as you say (assuming it is running correctly) youd be running easy low 13s but someone above said his was running 13 flat with an intake and tune (tune makes a huge difference from stock obviously) so its not quite adding up. Im not saying this didnt happen so dont think that...i just dont want people to think all stock 2.7s will pull away from all stock lightnings because im pretty sure they won't. They run with it because of the trans that 10 speed is like cheating but even with that considered its hard to see a stock one beating a stock L that badly if both trucks are 100%. Thats just my .02. What do the 2.7s run stock and trap 100% stock in the configuration the op has option wise? Just curious good kill nonetheless im not sure that lightning was running 100% though.

JasonFC

Somethings different
Established Member
I have no idea what they run stock, haven't taken it to the track, however, it feels faster than my mazdaspeed 3 I had before it, and that ran high 13s.

I haven't posted in a long time on here just been lurking lol. This thread prompted a response. The lightnings (especially an 04) should run high 13s at 100+ but it depends on traction, da, etc. Do these 2.7s run that quick stock? I know the new rcsb 5.0s with the 10 speed run like 13.3 at 103 stock (bounces off the limiter) and can run 12s with a tune so can the 3.5. I have no doubt these ecoboost engines can do some great things....and you may in fact be able to run very well against a stock lightning under the right configuration (the lighter, not 6k pound truck version of the 2.7tt) but the way you describe beating him bad makes me think something isnt 100% with the lightning. If the intercooler pump is indeed messed up that can obviously cause iats and stuff to skyrocket hurting power badly. To beat a stock lightning by as much as you say (assuming it is running correctly) youd be running easy low 13s but someone above said his was running 13 flat with an intake and tune (tune makes a huge difference from stock obviously) so its not quite adding up. Im not saying this didnt happen so dont think that...i just dont want people to think all stock 2.7s will pull away from all stock lightnings because im pretty sure they won't. They run with it because of the trans that 10 speed is like cheating but even with that considered its hard to see a stock one beating a stock L that badly if both trucks are 100%. Thats just my .02. What do the 2.7s run stock and trap 100% stock in the configuration the op has option wise? Just curious good kill nonetheless im not sure that lightning was running 100% though.

OneSlowV

Established Member
My dad bought a f150 2.7 little truck will surprise you . I was looking it’s pretty easy to add around 100 hp with just a tune and some bolt ons

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread