• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

Stock block VIN location

Discussion in 'SVT Shelby GT500' started by Fopar, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Fopar

Fopar Member Established Member

I know most people don't care about this, but I'm interested in a pull-out motor/trans... price is decent and the guy seems legit but I'd like to run the vin to make sure it didn't come out of a stolen car. Can tell me where the VIN is located on the stock engine, isn't it by the pan rail somewhere?

2. Willie

Willie Active Member Established Member

I asked this question, but for a different reason in 2008 after I bought mine new. I assumed Ford stamps / marks driveline and body components with a partial VIN, like GM does. I wanted to insure that I kept my car numbers matching. The answer I got was not what I expected. Ford does not do this, with only one exception, the GT500 transmission. Weird, I thought, but it appears true. This is a pic of my first GT500, which I no longer own...

05117a.JPG

Nutty 5.0 likes this.
  3. Snoopy49

Snoopy49 Well-Known Member Established Member

The VIN is stamped on the engine, I was trying to locate a picture, but was unsuccessful. I believe it is stamped on the rear of the engine on top of the casting that contacts the transmission.

4. ashleyroachclip

ashleyroachclip Well-Known Member Established Member

While in the past , like in the 70's and 80's , it is not really so today .

5. Robert M

Robert M 800 HORSE FUN!! Established Member

That is strange, that the transmission would have the sequence number and my 8.8 had the a partial VIN on the barcode label on the right axle tube........but the engine is not identified to the specific car????

R

6. Robert M

Robert M 800 HORSE FUN!! Established Member

I had to dig through some of my 2008 8.8 axle restoration pictures, and shown below is the factory assy. line axle bar code sticker, and on the end of that sticker is a portion (or most all) of the VIN that is specific to my 2008 GT500.......

023-1-zps82067f02.jpg

If Ford VIN'ed the 6 spd. transmission as shown further up in this thread and also VIN'ed the axle assy. as shown in my picture above, I am sure there is a VIN in the engine block also and I agree that it is probably on the machined surface where the bell housing mounts, just below a cyl. head, probably drivers side if it is like previous Ford engines?...............

R