Stock Cam Specs?

Strpperpolef150

Established Member
Does anyone know the stock cam specs? I've been curious as to what they were and have heard our engines came with big cams that are toned down at idle by the tivct but then I found this:

Stock Mustang GT 5.0 Coyote Cam specs:

Intake Cam:
Advertised: 263
.050": 211
Lobe Lift: .235"
Centerline (Park / Max): 139 / 89

Exhaust Cam:
Lobe lift: .216
Centerline (Park / Max): 123 / 73

Valve events @ Park (no adv/ret) @.050":
IVO: 33.5 ATDC
IVC: 64.5 ABDC
EVO: 48.5 BBDC
EVC: 17.5 BTDC

Total overlap (Park) @.050: -51

Valve events @ Max @.050:
IVO: 16.5 BTDC
IVC: 14.5 ABDC
EVO: 1.5 ABDC
EVC: 32.5 ATDC

Total overlap (Max) @.050: 49

Are those the correct specs?

Shaun@AED

Yes.
Advance the Intake cam and retard the exhaust cam...a LOT. LOL
I move the cams a total of 55 degrees from stock idle settings.

Shaun@AED

It works the other way too.
We can take huge cams and make them purr like a kitten and drive smooth... Key is not locking out the phasers, yet staying away from piston to valve contact.

Last edited:

cbrtrx

Established Member
Yes the stock cams are very tame, just look at the valve events. I laughed when I read the guy posting up that the stock cams are so big and that the cam tune is how they really would idle and that the vvt is making them run smooth.... Hahaha. You have to move the stock cams 50 degrees towards each other to make them 'cam out'.

Shaun@AED

Yes the stock cams are very tame, just look at the valve events. I laughed when I read the guy posting up that the stock cams are so big and that the cam tune is how they really would idle and that the vvt is making them run smooth.... Hahaha. You have to move the stock cams 50 degrees towards each other to make them 'cam out'.

Conversely I could tune a 236/236 coyote camshaft to NOT lope at idle.

Stock 5.0 Pushrod cams have similar duration on a wide 115 LSA and have -20 degrees of overlap. By comparison the coyote idles at -51 degrees overlap.

TiVCT was intended to lower emissions and gain in fuel economy while allowing the use of large camshafts for power production.

The TiVCT 5.0's have Larger camshafts than ever used on a mass produced Modular 4V.

Shaun@AED

Does anyone know why we can't use TiVCT if we go with large valve springs or huge cams in general?

Valvesprings shouldn't be a big deal.
Huge cams presents an issue with Piston to Valve and valve on valve contact during the overlap phase. Care must be taken. Ideally piston to valve is measured, then phase limiters built to ensure the ECU can not command TiVCT settings that will result in P2V issues (factory limit is 50 degrees due to P2V). Then valve to valve contact should be measured and Overlap limits set in the Tune. (factory tune limits overlap in TiVCT tables)

Very complicated and most will not go that far, so the aftermarket makes phase limiters (limits to 20 degrees vs 50) and lockouts to completely eliminate TiVCT.

I'd like to see mild cams that allow full TiVCT movement and limiters in 5 degree increments (45, 40, 35, 30, etc). There's no need to limit small profiless to 20 degrees, and larger profiles can be set on different 'Park' angles to allow greater than 20 degrees movment without issues as well.

GabeMarlin

V8/RWD Fanatic
Established Member
Not to steal your thread but this is kind of in the same vein. Does anyone know the rocker ratio of our 5.0's? I read somewhere that the new gt500s are going to have 1.8:1's.

Last edited:

twistedneck

Established Member
Valvesprings shouldn't be a big deal.
Huge cams presents an issue with Piston to Valve and valve on valve contact during the overlap phase. Care must be taken. Ideally piston to valve is measured, then phase limiters built to ensure the ECU can not command TiVCT settings that will result in P2V issues (factory limit is 50 degrees due to P2V). Then valve to valve contact should be measured and Overlap limits set in the Tune. (factory tune limits overlap in TiVCT tables)

Very complicated and most will not go that far, so the aftermarket makes phase limiters (limits to 20 degrees vs 50) and lockouts to completely eliminate TiVCT.

I'd like to see mild cams that allow full TiVCT movement and limiters in 5 degree increments (45, 40, 35, 30, etc). There's no need to limit small profiless to 20 degrees, and larger profiles can be set on different 'Park' angles to allow greater than 20 degrees movment without issues as well.

So its only piston to valve clearance and not delay of the tivct adjustment and / or issues with valve spring force causing a delay or reduction in the movement of the tivct? if its clearance only thats a really good thing.

Yagermeister

Established Member
Does anyone know the stock cam specs? I've been curious as to what they were and have heard our engines came with big cams that are toned down at idle by the tivct but then I found this:

Stock Mustang GT 5.0 Coyote Cam specs:

Intake Cam:
Lobe Lift: .235"
Centerline (Park / Max): 139 / 89

Exhaust Cam:
Lobe lift: .216
Centerline (Park / Max): 123 / 73

Valve events @ Park (no adv/ret) @.050":
IVO: 33.5 ATDC
IVC: 64.5 ABDC
EVO: 48.5 BBDC
EVC: 17.5 BTDC

Total overlap (Park) @.050: -51

Valve events @ Max @.050:
IVO: 16.5 BTDC
IVC: 14.5 ABDC
EVO: 1.5 ABDC
EVC: 32.5 ATDC

Total overlap (Max) @.050: 49

Are those the correct specs?

In the Ford Racing catalog for the Boss cams they mention the GT cams have only 12mm INT and 11mm EXH of lift and 260 duration on the INT. Is the GT cam intake 260 or 263? Where do the lift numbers come in to the previously provided numbers? Regarding the Boss and Cobra Jet cams, are all the numbers the same except for what is noted?

Noted on the Boss INT cams: 13MM Lift / 263 degree duration vs. 12mm lift and 260 degree duration on Mustang GT 5.0L engine

Noted on the Boss EXH cams: 13MM Lift / 290 degree duration vs. 11mm lift and 263 degree duration on Mustang GT 5.0L engine

Noted on the "mini" Cobra Jet EXH cams: 11mm lift / 290 degree duration vs. 11mm lift and 263 duration on Mustang GT 5.0L engine

Found this in another thread somewhere on Mustang Source:

Stock cam specs

GT
Intake: Lift - 12MM (0.472"), Duration - 260 degrees
Exhaust: Lift - 11MM (0.433"), Duration - 263 degrees

Boss
Intake: Lift - 12MM (0.472"), Duration - 260 degrees [Same as GT]
Exhaust: Lift - 13MM (0.512"), Duration - 263 degrees

Cobra Jet cam specs

M-6550-M50BINT (the originally planned Boss intake cam that didn't make it into production, it's used in the CJ)
Lift - 13MM (0.512"), Duration - 263 degrees

M-6550-M50BEXH (the CJ exhaust cam)
Lift - 13MM (0.512"), Duration - 290 degrees

Comp Cams aftermarket cams

Stage I
Intake: Lift - 0.492", Duration - 260 degrees
Exhaust: Lift - 0.453", Duration - 267 degrees

Stage II
Intake: Lift - 0.492", Duration - 268 degrees
Exhaust: Lift - 0.453", Duration - 275 degrees

Stage III
Intake: Lift - 0.492", Duration - 276 degrees
Exhaust: Lift - 0.453", Duration - 283 degrees

All the Comp Cams cams require phase limiters that restrict the Ti-VCT movement to 20 degrees. The Ford Racing Cobra Jet cams do not.

XW Coyote

Established Member
If the Stage 1 Comp Cams are similar to the specs of the Cobra Jet cams why do the Comp Cams require phaser limiters. Is it because of the ramp rate of the Comp Cams compared to the factory sticks

97tc

Ford Man
Established Member
Has anyone had an issue with the crank sprocket cracking with the C.J. Cams on a road runner engine?
Thanks

cozmo2806

up in dat azz
Established Member
A question for Shaun. In your opinion, what is the most aggressive camshafts you would recommend that allows the full 50* sweep in tuning and still allows for good/decent driveability? This assuming on has the CJ intake. Im thinking about switching my combo but dont want to suffer from poor driveability. Thanks and sorry to hack the the thread but figured a few could benefit from this.

Edit: just saw this thread was super old lol.

Last edited:

twistedneck

Established Member
Has anyone had an issue with the crank sprocket cracking with the C.J. Cams on a road runner engine?
Thanks

My AED Shaun tuned CJ cammed (no limiters) Coyote has been beat on endless and its still OK. a couple years now, at least 40 drag passes and way more hard street driving.

Users who are viewing this thread