Stock Clutch and Boost

DaBigBone

Established Member
Who's doing it? Curious to see how long the stock clutch will hold up to 550rwhp+. I'd like to be able to get by until next winter if possible.

Car is 99% a street car. Just sees the track a handful of times for fun.

What kind of power are you making and how many miles on your stock clutch?

GHIG'13

Established Member
Mine had the torque booster kit on it with 8000 miles on the stock clutch and never had it slip. Car caught fire and burned last week but ran strong until then. I would think you can make it till next year.

Joey8

Established Member
im running the armaggedon TT kit with the stock block and mt82. Everything is stock internally in the motor and trans as well. So far on 7.5 psi everything is holding up. I don't recommend it but it will work. I'm getting a t56 magnum soon so the trans will be coming out. But it should hold up fine for a while.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Why temp fate? do you want something to break? Before you add boost upgrade your clutch and dump mt-82 for a tremec or an auto. Headaches are not a good thing! All you have to do is look at a stock clutch compared to a beefy aftermarket clutch and that tells the whole story!

throthaduece85

spinning not winning
Established Member
im going auto and will be removing a mcleod rxt clutch w/steel flywheel along with jhr clutch line, mcleod bleeder, and blowfish bracket for my. Setup has maybe 1500 miles on it and works great. Pm me if you are interested.

Uncle Rusty

Established Member
I've heard many people running the stock clutch for quite some time without issues. I'd be more worried about the MT-82 honestly, but they seem to be ticking time bombs regardless of whether you're at stock power or 600+ WHP. So far I have no issues with my transmission or the stock clutch on my Stage 2 VMP TVS.

If you burn up a clutch, it's not going to break anything else in the car, you just won't be able to put power down anymore and will start slipping all over the place. Now if your transmission blows up it's hard to say if that will take any casualties with it, I don't have much experience with that happening in any of the cars I've owned.

nate-roth

Established Member
Mine had the torque booster kit on it with 8000 miles on the stock clutch and never had it slip. Car caught fire and burned last week but ran strong until then. I would think you can make it till next year.

Out of curiosity - What caused the car to catch on fire??

OP- I have a 550rwhp magnuson tvs set up and don't have any issues with the stock clutch.

by9468840

Established Member
623rwhp here. Stock clutch and mt82 still hold up.
I think the stick clutch Is quite stout if you don't race the shit out of it and run drag tires

oldbones

The blue bowtie
Established Member
How the hell are you guys get the stock clutch to hold 600+rwhp!?!? Mine slipped a little on every hard shift awhile racing and I was a bolt on car.

Uncle Rusty

Established Member
How the hell are you guys get the stock clutch to hold 600+rwhp!?!? Mine slipped a little on every hard shift awhile racing and I was a bolt on car.

It's normal for a clutch to slip while shifting unless you're talking about a ceramic or some crazy racing clutch... the slipping is what lets you engage it smoothly without having it 'bounce' all over the place. Now, if your clutch is actually going or on it's way out, you'll be slipping while it's engaged...so what will happen is say your're in 4th gear at 3k RPM and you punch it, the engine will rev up too quickly as the clutch slips and quite simply you'll put much less or no power down. Once most car clutches start slipping at all like this the clutch is pretty much shot and will need to be replaced at that point, as eventually it won't be able to hold any power at all and then you won't be able to get it to even go off your driveway in gear.

Users who are viewing this thread