Stock clutch good for...?

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
fill in the blank________________. Can't use the word "nothing"

But seriously, on the 10-12 platform, what kind of power can the stock clutch hold under NORMAL driving operations? Not talking about any sort of track time. I know better than to not upgrade it, however, can it hold out for awhile at the 670hp/600tq mark?

1st usa car

Established Member
well - it has been holding for a total of 37k. 19k stock and the rest with my mod list. Never drag my car but I will roll on the throttle pretty hard at times... clutch isn't slipping but traction is.

RBB

Established Member
Hard question to answer since it all depends on how you use the car....very similar to the age old how much power can the stock short block take question. You’ll toast it quickly drag racing with anything over 600rwhp, most likely less than that even.

You made 800 wheel on the dyno once, but just commute to work and get groceries with the occasional short pull? Probably last for quite a while, much like your lower end.

svt4me38

BOWENZMOTORSPORTS.COM
Established Member
2012 with Stock 39k mile clutch, installed
Vmp gen2r had it for 2k Miles and stock clutch never skipped a beat.
Sold whole tr6060 swap and stock clutch still looked great!

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Lots of good advice. I'm certainly an advocate for over building things at times and not cutting corners. In this case, I'll have the money ready, just in case it breaks apart on the rollers

SirShaun

Established Member
Lots of good advice. I'm certainly an advocate for over building things at times and not cutting corners. In this case, I'll have the money ready, just in case it breaks apart on the rollers

Yeah I wouldn't replace it without the need to. My 2010 stocker is holding 700whp rather well, mostly for shits and giggle, not a lot of hardcore drag racing. 30k total miles, probably 15k miles at 700whp.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Hard question to answer since it all depends on how you use the car....very similar to the age old how much power can the stock short block take question. You’ll toast it quickly drag racing with anything over 600rwhp, most likely less than that even.
Have to agree with this. Messing around on the street is one thing, even with high horsepower. But once you hit the drag strip, life expectancy will go down commensurately.

RBB

Established Member
Have to agree with this. Messing around on the street is one thing, even with high horsepower. But once you hit the drag strip, life expectancy will go down commensurately.
I had 30K on my stock clutch before installing a TVS. It was toast within 800 miles, messing around on the street and maybe 20 passes at the strip.

If you’re making north of 600 and repeatedly hammering on it with sticky DRs on the street I don’t see it lasting too long in that scenario either.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
I have 12k miles on my 2010, last time on the dyno it made 740 RWHP. It’s had various types of drag radials on it since new and it’s been at least pullied since probably 2011.
It’s seen some “grudge” drag racing, nothing crazy, some long dyno days and a lot of spirited driving but it doesn’t get beat on or abused (or even driven unfortunately) regularly and my clutch is holding strong.

802gt500

Established Member
750 rwhp for 8k car has 34k 2012 I Drive it pretty hard. track it once a year. Run dr 305/45/18 all the time. That's 11.8 wide and 28.8 tall. stock clutch holding so far. Hundreds of 1-4 pulls on the street. Don't slip it and it will last a while.

Users who are viewing this thread